Things I Think I Saw: Auburn vs Arkansas.....

JMR

Great post.

One thing I noticed last night is how disciplined our D has been coached with the late hits/targeting by the sideline. However, teams are starting to take advantage of that and cut it up last second and turn a 3-4 yard gain into 9+. Really hate to see a rule cause those things because our D is better sideline to sideline than it has been in awhile.

• Like 1

• Kam Pettway is a man playing a kids’ game. The big guy has some quicks, and is a lot more than just a battering ram. Pettway’s size is obviously a factor in his play, but his “disposition” is what makes him a physical challenge for defenders. He likes it physical, and has the body to back that up.

Begs the question:  Obviously we are clicking running the ball with both Truitt and Pettway.  When that ankle heals is Kerryon the starter?

8 minutes ago, AUGoo said:
  • Kam Pettway is a man playing a kids’ game. The big guy has some quicks, and is a lot more than just a battering ram. Pettway’s size is obviously a factor in his play, but his “disposition” is what makes him a physical challenge for defenders. He likes it physical, and has the body to back that up.

Begs the question:  Obviously we are clicking running the ball with both Truitt and Pettway.  When that ankle heals is Kerryon the starter?

I think they will be somewhat split on carries but KP has to be called the starter now. We need both. I have no idea of the injury or progress but I would guess KJ would be partially ready and get about 8-10 touches this week and increase from there. 

27 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

We are going to need Kerryon against better Ds than Arkansas and Ole Miss. Kam won't be able to run over every D. Kerryon makes more happen when the hole isn't there.

• Like 2

I think I saw: A team playing while having fun.

It has been a while since I've seen both sides of the ball appearing to enjoy themselves out there. And that's one of those things that just comes with confidence.  When you know your role and KNOW that your teammates know their roles, you have faith. And the execution is just there.

It's great seeing these guys enjoy the game again. 

• Like 4

Still savoring last night's victory. It is hard not to say "if only" about those Sept losses by how fun for the rest of the season that we are just getting better every game. It has been a long time since I have enjoyed a game as much as last night especially the defensive play!!!

• RunInRed featured and pinned this topic

Another great post JMR,Thanks.I agree with everything you said.One thing I saw that you left out was Gus being undefeated since ditching the visor.ha ha

I wonder if Golson lining up against a&m and Clemson's pass rushers showed him how nasty he had to be. Dude is getting some pretty blocks on the inside

i LOVE seeing Bubba bounce it outside too

a GIF of Bo smiling and shaking his head after that TD where Bubba bounced it to the outside perfectly describes my feelings when he runs the ball

• Like 5

Thanks JMR- I agree with everything you said, I even told my son as we were playing how much better Chandler Cox was blocking compared to earlier in the season. But this is what I like " Another well-timed circumstance for the AU staff is the arrival of Coach Crime Dawg. Auburn has had some excellent secondary coaches over my lifetime, and McGriff is as good as any of those. Our secondary seldom busts a coverage, and plays with great confidence. I enjoy watching the techniques applied by our cover guys, and as they get experience, that is only going to improve".  I noticed that even when the receiver made the catch that someone was always right there with them; this is a huge improvement over the last several years where a wide receiver was open, with no Defensive Back within 5 yards of them.  One more thing that I noticed is Ryan Davis has some great hands; there was one catch on the sideline and there were hands around the ball, and he not only made the catch, but got a couple of yards to boot.

Edited by AUMASTERS
left something out.

Thanks for some of the best advice, I've ever received as a fan!

"As fans, when our team plays extremely well, and blasts an important opponent, it’s always tempting to think, “If only we’d played that way against (insert name of opponent in disappointing loss earlier in the season).” As an old fan, one is more inclined to just enjoy the moment and forget about earlier games. Life is short, and football season is even shorter. When your team is on fire, SAVOR the moment. Appreciate a great win for what it is, and don’t dilute the joy with whimsical reflections on what might have been."

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kd4au said:

Another great post JMR,Thanks.I agree with everything you said.One thing I saw that you left out was Gus being undefeated since ditching the visor.ha ha

Also undefeated coming off a bye week. I think it's time to start scheduling a bye week before bama again :bananadance:

• Like 2

Does anyone know what Bubba's 40 speed? My guess is in the mid 4.5 range. I think in some ways he is tougher to deal with than Fournette. Fournette is faster, but Bubba is just plain meaner and this is a good thing no doubt. When KJ is back up to speed, our offense will go from very scary all the way to the wrath of a category 5 hurricane.

2 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

Does anyone know what Bubba's 40 speed? My guess is in the mid 4.5 range. I think in some ways he is tougher to deal with than Fournette. Fournette is faster, but Bubba is just plain meaner and this is a good thing no doubt. When KJ is back up to speed, our offense will go from very scary all the way to the wrath of a category 5 hurricane.

Peyton ran like a 4.64, I would think Pettway would be similar.

Thanks Coach Ray! Remember how I gave you a hard time for being exasperated after the Clemson game that plays were apparently being designed to get the ball to Stanton Truitt? I'm baaaaack.....

LOVE this thread!!!  Our best reoccurring feature.  Excellent, JMR.  Sincerely, excellent.

I hope we all appreciate just how good Carlton Davis really is.  Every week he forces me to ask myself, is he the best player on our team?  Playing CB in this league is a tough job. Any mistake is often a disaster.  

I was impressed with the blocking of NCM and Ryan Davis.

• Like 1

As far as Lashlee's playcalling, I about fell on the floor when he had Sean White fake the hand-off to Pettway and bootleg it around the right side for a score.  Perfect set-up by bringing in the "heavy package" for that play too! 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, aucanucktiger said:

Thanks Coach Ray! Remember how I gave you a hard time for being exasperated after the Clemson game that plays were apparently being designed to get the ball to Stanton Truitt? I'm baaaaack.....

Yeah, I remember very well, canuck. I still feel like going to Stanton right out of the gate in that game was unwise, but as Pat Dye used to say, "hindsight is always 50-50". If he'd gone for a TD, I'd have thought it was brilliant. In any case, I said on our podcast last week that I wanted to see more of Truitt at running back, and I'm glad that happened.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, icanthearyou said:

LOVE this thread!!!  Our best reoccurring feature.  Excellent, JMR.  Sincerely, excellent.

I hope we all appreciate just how good Carlton Davis really is.  Every week he forces me to ask myself, is he the best player on our team?  Playing CB in this league is a tough job. Any mistake is often a disaster.  

I was impressed with the blocking of NCM and Ryan Davis.

Thanks for the kind words, ichy. Makes it worth the effort.

Excellent points on the O line. We'd be foolish to mess with it at this point. Hate it for X but sometimes that the way it goes. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, BornAU76 said:

One of my favorite weekly threads after each game, thanks Coach!

Thanks, 76!