Things I Think I Saw: Auburn vs Arkansas.....

JMR

26 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Eh, I'd argue that Obamanu's big drop against Ole Miss made their dropsies seem a lot worse than they really were. 

True, I said that partly in jest. I highly enjoyed watching those guys play and I've missed having a trio that solid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ClaytonAU said:

So I've got a quick question for anyone over 30, my granddad told me that this team reminds him a lot of the 89' team, can you guys agree? Explanations? 

That was actually mentioned in another podcast by Quentin Riggins, himself a member of that team.

That year Auburn got defeated early in the year by a really good UTk team (who's only loss that year was to bammer and finished #5 in the AP) and FSU, who finished #3 in the AP @ mid-year.  However, they came on strong (especially defensively) the rest of the year and yes...defeated #2 bammer in the legendary "first IB in Jordan-Hare".  They shared the SEC Championship with UTk and bammer and dismantled a pretty good Ohio St team in what's now the Outback Bowl (it was the Hall of Fame bowl back before all the corp sponsorships took over).

Yes, a lot is similar about that team and this.

Edited by AUsince72

1 hour ago, Fricking Ray said:

Thanks JMR for your valuable insight!! I get the feeling that as NCM gains experience this season that he will at some point replace TS as the starter. TS catches the ball with his body a lot and is inconsistent. Thoughts?

Agree about the inconsistency, Frick. I don't know how NCM is doing at practice, but he was pretty dang good when he got here. Can't wait to see more of him. 

• Like 1

Loved how he jumped up and snatched that ball last Saturday. He has the look of a future star. Seems like the sky is the limit for him if he stays healthy and works hard.

• Like 1

Thanks, Coach!

Always love your breakdowns.  Question for ya.  When we went to our big set on offense w/ 2 tights and the extra lineman, who was the 6th lineman?  Was it Prince Tega?  Couldn't tell from section 105. :)  Whoever it was, he was getting a good push.

You mentioned Chandler Cox on the Eli run.  But, I noticed all night that he has really improved blocking ahead of the tailback.  He was making big blocks and opening holes all night for Bubba.  Something that doesn't get talked about enough is how tough it is to block in space... particularly with the rules the way they are now.  Used to just tell us to knock their legs out from under them.  Can't really do that anymore.  Chandler is becoming excellent at it.

I'm with you on Davidson.  What a STUD he is gonna be... hell, *already is!*  18 year olds are not supposed to be that dominant in the trenches.  I'm thrilled about him.  Also, I feel like Monty put it all together for the first time saturday and took it to a whole new level.  He was consistently Nick Fairly-ish unblockable.  Bulldozing into the backfield every time.

Thanks again, Coach.  You do great work.

• Like 2

This team reminds of the 1983 team or the 1988. 1989 was a super team no doubt. We were the team of the 1980s decade. No team even came close to us during this time era. I still get sick to my stomach when thinking about the loss to an inferior LSU team. Coach Dye made a dumb mistake by not kicking the field goal instead getting greedy. We had done a super job keeping the corndogs from crossing the 50 yard line. That TD LSU made with a 4th down and 11 throw by Tommy Hodson  should have not happened. I think it was LSUs left tackle that did the deed.

By today's close scrutiny with all of the technology that virtually catches 99.9% of all penalties committed, we would have likely won that game without a doubt. When we got the ball back after the bogus LSU TD, a pass interference call that was missed by the refs could have resulted in a TD or a FG. Who knows folks. Since that game, I have had no respect for LSU and the ref crew that was too scared to do what they should have done. We were robbed of our 1983 National Championship and very well the 1988 NC. If Jacobs & the BOT had any spine, we would be sitting on NCs in 1983, 2004, and many in the early 1900s, we would be up there with other teams that claimed NCs that were far more questionable than any of ours.

1 hour ago, TeaPotBrownno1fan said:

Thanks, Coach!

Always love your breakdowns.  Question for ya.  When we went to our big set on offense w/ 2 tights and the extra lineman, who was the 6th lineman?  Was it Prince Tega?  Couldn't tell from section 105. :)  Whoever it was, he was getting a good push.

You mentioned Chandler Cox on the Eli run.  But, I noticed all night that he has really improved blocking ahead of the tailback.  He was making big blocks and opening holes all night for Bubba.  Something that doesn't get talked about enough is how tough it is to block in space... particularly with the rules the way they are now.  Used to just tell us to knock their legs out from under them.  Can't really do that anymore.  Chandler is becoming excellent at it.

I'm with you on Davidson.  What a STUD he is gonna be... hell, *already is!*  18 year olds are not supposed to be that dominant in the trenches.  I'm thrilled about him.  Also, I feel like Monty put it all together for the first time saturday and took it to a whole new level.  He was consistently Nick Fairly-ish unblockable.  Bulldozing into the backfield every time.

Thanks again, Coach.  You do great work.

Thanks TeaPot!  Appreciate the kind words!

On 10/23/2016 at 8:50 PM, AUloggerhead said:

As far as Lashlee's playcalling, I about fell on the floor when he had Sean White fake the hand-off to Pettway and bootleg it around the right side for a score.  Perfect set-up by bringing in the "heavy package" for that play too! 

It reminded me of Pat Sullivan running the bootleg on the goal line.

what would be great would be for C Lawson, Braden Smith and other juniors deciding to come back for their senior seasons. Not sure it will happen, but if Carl is having the time of his life, why not come back and give us a chance for NC. I am sure Mont and Carl have injury insurance of which I hope they never have to cash it in.

11 hours ago, alexava said:

I know Braden is a Jr.  I think Carl and Kozan could get another year but doubt they intend on it. 

I think it will all depend on how this season ends.  If we get close to a championship, but don't get there, with this young of a team, they may come back to finish the job.

Lawson honestly HAD to come back and prove he could play a full season. I'm not sure he'd risk another season with Auburn, but I would definitely love to see him return.

I'm sure they will all judge their stock at the end of the season and if we finish strong (and just shy of the SEC Champ) that might draw some of them back for one more run.

On 10/24/2016 at 0:34 PM, Linayus said:

True, I said that partly in jest. I highly enjoyed watching those guys play and I've missed having a trio that solid.

Don't forget Anthony mix ... he is like the 4th Beatle ... ole what's his name ...

On 10/24/2016 at 1:28 PM, AUsince72 said:

That was actually mentioned in another podcast by Quentin Riggins, himself a member of that team.

That year Auburn got defeated early in the year by a really good UTk team (who's only loss that year was to bammer and finished #5 in the AP) and FSU, who finished #3 in the AP @ mid-year.  However, they came on strong (especially defensively) the rest of the year and yes...defeated #2 bammer in the legendary "first IB in Jordan-Hare".  They shared the SEC Championship with UTk and bammer and dismantled a pretty good Ohio St team in what's now the Outback Bowl (it was the Hall of Fame bowl back before all the corp sponsorships took over).

Yes, a lot is similar about that team and this.

That 89 iron bowl was one of my favorite experiences at Auburn.  The entire campus was rocking for the entire weekend.  I thought the stadium was gonna explode during that game.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

Don't forget Anthony mix ... he is like the 4th Beatle ... ole what's his name ...

His name is now Marquis McClain, lol. 

• Like 1