#17 in Coaches poll #15 in the AP

Eagle Eye 7

9 minutes ago, Charhair said:

I do believe if that were the scenario (even with Alabama being left out) it will spark a HUGE discussion on the playoff system needing to hurry up and expand

We do seem to be the main catalyst for post season change...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Charhair said:

I doubt that happens. I feel like the committee would see too much potential back lash from it. But who knows. 

I do believe if that were the scenario (even with Alabama being left out) it will spark a HUGE discussion on the playoff system needing to hurry up and expand. 

Yeah it's doubtful. There will be a lot of pushback against that, but I still remember after the Kick 6 there was talk that Bama could sneak into the BCS title game which was a joke of an idea

Also IDK why the PTB would pigeonhole themselves into a silly "we will not even consider expanding the playoff until X number of years has passed"...why limit your potential to improve the system from the get go? But common sense has never been the NCAA's strong suit.

6 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Yeah it's doubtful. There will be a lot of pushback against that, but I still remember after the Kick 6 there was talk that Bama could sneak into the BCS title game which was a joke of an idea

Also IDK why the PTB would pigeonhole themselves into a silly "we will not even consider expanding the playoff until X number of years has passed"...why limit your potential to improve the system from the get go? But common sense has never been the NCAA's strong suit.

BSPN controls the BCS playoff.

Just now, aufan57 said:

Seems it'd be in ESPN's best interests to expand it....$$$$$

With the stated emphasis the committee puts on conference championships, I can't see a non-conference champ getting in over the champ from the same conference. I think it would be more likely that said conference would end up with zero teams than two. 

1 hour ago, aufan57 said:

Somewhat true because they push their picks on TV, but I think with the new format the power five conferences push more than anyone. Unless things change then I don't think you will see two from one conference. You will have one left out until we go to eight teams or drop to a P4. That said the conference champ will go unless you had a case of a major upset by a lowly ranked SEC west team winning the SEC game. Remember if AU beat uat and went on to win the SEC game they would be 11-2 with a championship versus uat at 11-1 without a title. If TAM lost to LSU and AU wins out, they are probably at least #8 before the IB. Top five after the IB and then a win in the SEC game would move them inside the top four. Uat would cry but they would be left out especially if UM, UW and Clemson all stayed undefeated. JMHO. WDE

I am keeping my fingers crossed that Auburn continues to play as well as they have the fast few games, and we win out the remainder of the season.  that said, I can definitely seeing us as the SEC champs, and going to a new year's 6 game.  Just not the playoffs.  I would be okay with this, but it would keep the SEC out of the NC picture altogether this year.  It would, however, be a great sign of things to come next year with such a young and explosive team.  I just wish Carl would be here to enjoy the run next year with what he has done to help build the foundation. WDE

2 minutes ago, trout54 said:

I am keeping my fingers crossed that Auburn continues to play as well as they have the fast few games, and we win out the remainder of the season.  that said, I can definitely seeing us as the SEC champs, and going to a new year's 6 game.  Just not the playoffs.  I would be okay with this, but it would keep the SEC out of the NC picture altogether this year.  It would, however, be a great sign of things to come next year with such a young and explosive team.  I just wish Carl would be here to enjoy the run next year with what he has done to help build the foundation. WDE

He can be, if he wants to.. unlike Monty, thanks to injury, Carl's only a junior.

I'm glad auburn not getting too much national attention yet. Auburn has ALWAYS done better as underdogs. Last season some projection us in the final 4 and we see how that went. This year could be the opposite of that. A&M only has to lose to Ole miss or LSU which I think is a good possibility. We have the best defense that Bama will face IMO and I think we have the best O line that they will see 

11 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

I'm glad auburn not getting too much national attention yet. Auburn has ALWAYS done better as underdogs. Last season some projection us in the final 4 and we see how that went. This year could be the opposite of that. A&M only has to lose to Ole miss or LSU which I think is a good possibility. We have the best defense that Bama will face IMO and I think we have the best O line that they will see 

I believe it was Kirk Herb who said it but it was either during our off week or the Mississippi state game on game day 

he said that the sec wasn't as strong as they usually are on the offense line but that once he noticed ours clicking he thought it was at least the second best in the sec (behind Bama)

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

Something like that could cause them to be forced to move up the talk. Bamas fanbase behind their excluded one loss team could be just as strong. 

It pains me to say it but if Bama only has one loss and it's to us and we make it to the playoffs and they don't, I would probably back their fanbase up in the talk to. Not that Bama deserved our spot but that they are still a top 4 team this year. 

I feel a logical excuse could be that auburn beat Bama but if Clemson and auburn make it...

Of course I understand the conference implications would play into that but I think it could spark just as much discussion.

18 hours ago, Charhair said:

Something like that could cause them to be forced to move up the talk. Bamas fanbase behind their excluded one loss team could be just as strong. 

It pains me to say it but if Bama only has one loss and it's to us and we make it to the playoffs and they don't, I would probably back their fanbase up in the talk to. Not that Bama deserved our spot but that they are still a top 4 team this year. 

I feel a logical excuse could be that auburn beat Bama but if Clemson and auburn make it...

Of course I understand the conference implications would play into that but I think it could spark just as much discussion.

It's tough. Only 4 teams in with 5 power conferences really complicates things. The fact that 1 P5 conference champ will be left out from the get go already is asking to riling up fanbases IMO

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 11:53 AM, lionheartkc said:

We do seem to be the main catalyst for post season change...

Yes, yes we do. lol

When we have 5 "power" conferences and an at-large that has proven itself capable of winning against those conferences, then the four team playoff is already failing. And a fix would be simple enough. Top 2 are in automatically and get their "bye" weeks. Have #3 play #6 and #4 play #5 ( Dec.17th, 2 weeks after conference championships and the first week of bowl games) to determine the next two spots in the playoff. Proceed as normal.

2 minutes ago, Linayus said:

Yes, yes we do. lol

When we have 5 "power" conferences and an at-large that has proven itself capable of winning against those conferences, then the four team playoff is already failing. And a fix would be simple enough. Top 2 are in automatically and get their "bye" weeks. Have #3 play #6 and #4 play #5 ( Dec.17th, 2 weeks after conference championships and the first week of bowl games) to determine the next two spots in the playoff. Proceed as normal.

Yea, that works until the top 3 or 4 all have the same record.  Then how do you pick the top 2.  I think a standard 8-team makes sense.

1 minute ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Kinda OT, but I would love to play Clemson again. Whether it's in a New Years bowl or in the playoffs. I still say we could've won that game with better offensive play calling 

I'd love to play Clemson and A&M again.  I think we beat both now.  Just shows that what Gus needs to work on most is getting the team ready to play week 1.

16 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Yea, that works until the top 3 or 4 all have the same record.  Then how do you pick the top 2.  I think a standard 8-team makes sense.

How do you order the top 4 now? lol It's still a popularity vote at that point. I'm fine going to 8 teams but the committee was adamant that they weren't even going to consider 8 teams. Expanding to 6 at least is a step closer and a little more fair since you can include all 5 power conferences and the at-large (instead of booting out a second power 5 team for the at-large).

9 minutes ago, Linayus said:

How do you order the top 4 now? lol It's still a popularity vote at that point. I'm fine going to 8 teams but the committee was adamant that they weren't even going to consider 8 teams. Expanding to 6 at least is a step closer and a little more fair since you can include all 5 power conferences and the at-large (instead of booting out a second power 5 team for the at-large).

Now it's a combination of record and schedule/conference. Usually only one team gets left out, if any.  If we did 6, the way you described, no one would get left out, but 2 would get preference and odds are more than one team would be upset that they weren't part of those 2. 

17 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Now it's a combination of record and schedule/conference. Usually only one team gets left out, if any.  If we did 6, the way you described, no one would get left out, but 2 would get preference and odds are more than one team would be upset that they weren't part of those 2. 

No matter how much you expand it, people are going to whine about it. I've never heard of a 5th place team having a legitimate claim to the title, though.

Four teams is perfect, but money interests will eventually carry the day and it will keep expanding, player safety and "student athlete" charade be damned. Hopefully they'll at least take a breath at 6 for a couple years before the bloat continues. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

No matter how much you expand it, people are going to whine about it. I've never heard of a 5th place team having a legitimate claim to the title, though.

Of course, we've only had 2 years, so far, but I could totally see this year being one where we have 1 or 2 undefeated teams left and a pile of 1-loss. If, in that case, the Power-5 each have an undefeated team or a 1-loss, the legitimate complaints will begin.  Even more so, if they put a 2-loss SEC team in, which I know many are hoping for as a best case scenario for us.

I just can't imagine there not being a huge issue if everyone who makes it into the post season doesn't get equal chance and equal challenge.

Opinion only.

Moreover, clueless opinion.

I just cannot see a 2-loss AU in the CFP in any imaginable scenario.

Sorry.

My cheerleader switch, however, is definitely in the on position. This team, these coaches, and (so far) this season have all already conspired to create an amazing turnaround. They have already created a season that I (as a poor clueless fan) could not have foreseen a few short weeks ago, and that I would easily be happy with. Even with our start (and, albeit, dependent on assistance by others), SECW is still not beyond reach.

One game at a time is, of course, the only way it could be done. Would anybody here be offended if I cheer "We're number 5?"

WDE

Teams ranked in front of us that could lose (and us jump) this weekend:

#10 WVU @ OKU (WV -3.5)

#8 Baylor @ Texas (Baylor -4)

#7 Nebraska @ #11 Wisconsin (Wisconsin -9) 

#3 Clemson @ #12 Florida State (Clem -4)

With an impressive win by us and lackluster win #14 Florida, we may jump them as well.  

I would predict we will jump Florida and Florida State. I think WIsconsin beats Nebraska in a close game and we don't quite jump the Huskers

Archived