TWD Season 7 [SPOILERS]

Once again this thread will have spoilers throughout. Stop reading unless you're caught up!

I had a hunch Glenn would get a beat down, based solely on his demise in the comic. What I didn't see coming was Abraham also getting it too. 

What a dark episode. Negan will potentially go down as one of the worst TV villains in history. 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I had a hunch Glenn would get a beat down, based solely on his demise in the comic. What I didn't see coming was Abraham also getting it too. 

What a dark episode. Negan will potentially go down as one of the worst TV villains in history. 

I actually thought it would be Abraham. His random crush with Sasha and all the extra attention to his PTSD of losing his first family seemed like the show was drawing the audience in to sympathize for Abraham just to kill him off. Seems a lot of TV shows do that.

But damn the Glenn scene was unexpected and over the top at that with the eyeball missing, and Glenn gurgling on blood trying to say something sweet to Maggie. Overall, the show did it just right. If Negan made Rick cut his sons arm off, then the show would be waaaay over the top. At that point, I'm pretty sure the broken group of survivors would be more willing to commit suicide than to live like a slave with so many loved ones already ruthlessly beaten to a bloody pulp.

I know nothing of the comics but my prediction is Eugene while making bullets will construct explosives and have Jesus sneak around and plant them and eventually bring hell to negans bunch but Rick will brutalize negan, maybe let Maggie do it. 

7 minutes ago, alexava said:

I know nothing of the comics but my prediction is Eugene while making bullets will construct explosives and have Jesus sneak around and plant them and eventually bring hell to negans bunch but Rick will brutalize negan, maybe let Maggie do it. 

Eugene has grown on me. When he was a prima donna and a liability to the group while acting like he would be the savior, I wanted him dead.  Nice to see you as a TWD fan. You continue to surprise me lol.

5 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

I actually thought it would be Abraham. His random crush with Sasha and all the extra attention to his PTSD of losing his first family seemed like the show was drawing the audience in to sympathize for Abraham just to kill him off. Seems a lot of TV shows do that.

But damn the Glenn scene was unexpected and over the top at that with the eyeball missing, and Glenn gurgling on blood trying to say something sweet to Maggie. Overall, the show did it just right. If Negan made Rick cut his arm off, then the show would be waaaay over the top. At that point, I'm pretty sure the broken group of survivors would be more willing to commit suicide than to live like a slave with so many loved ones already ruthlessly beaten to a bloody pulp.

I don't know why I didn't think that it would be Abraham, considering he got so much plot and screen time last season. 

I kind of thought they would have Rick cut his own arm off instead, since that's how it is in the comic. But Robert Kirkman has always said that he regrets writing that in. On the other hand, Carl has been shot twice, once in the face, so I thought they may also just punish him further. 

I loved the scene/flashbacks while Rick was trying to find the axe in all the smoke. 

1 hour ago, alexava said:

I can't recall if I got to see how Negan's story wrapped up. Last I recall in the comics was the dude with the lions, that they've been showing in the previews. 

I don't doubt for a second that Rick and company will rain hell on Negan's camp. 

I do think I remember Negan taking Carl as a hostage in the comics instead of Daryl. But of course, there's no Daryl at all in the comics. 

Fun fact--Rick, Carl, and Daryl are the only characters left from the very first season. 

20 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I can't recall if I got to see how Negan's story wrapped up. Last I recall in the comics was the dude with the lions, that they've been showing in the previews. 

I don't doubt for a second that Rick and company will rain hell on Negan's camp. 

I do think I remember Negan taking Carl as a hostage in the comics instead of Daryl. But of course, there's no Daryl at all in the comics. 

Fun fact--Rick, Carl, and Daryl are the only characters left from the very first season. 

Is Morgan done with the show? Seems like I remember him and Claire went off on their own. Claire has already rescued Rick once. Someone the other day was telling me that Rick had his arm cut in the comics as well. Seemed like that would come to fruition when he was drug into the camper last episode.

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Is Morgan done with the show? Seems like I remember him and Claire went off on their own. Claire has already rescued Rick once. Someone the other day was telling me that Rick had his arm cut in the comics as well. Seemed like that would come to fruition when he was drug into the camper last episode.

Carol*. And I'm pretty sure they were still in the comic last I read. Both had pretty differeing storylines in the comic  

And I can't see them abandoning Alexandria, especially after what shape Carol was left in last season. 

21 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Once again this thread will have spoilers throughout. Stop reading unless you're caught up!

He should go down as one of the worst TV villains in history.  If he does not, they have not done him justice.  They have nailed him better than I thought they would be able to when bringing such a character to PG13-safe TV.  Negan lacks the comics' profane tirades, but he makes up for it with presence, brutality, and diabolical wit.  I actually think he is more convincing on the show than he is in the comics.

As for how dark the episode was, I think it was absolutely necessary.  The premise of the show is dark in itself, and a central theme has been the transformation of Rick from Officer Friendly to a man that will do absolutely anything (regardless of how monstrous) to protect his family and group.  At this point in Rick's development, it would take a complete monster leading a group of monsters to be threatening at all.  That is what the episode achieved.  It put all of them in an untenable situation.  They were forced to watch as two of them were brutally murdered (one of whom goes all the way back to the first episode), and they were all completely unable to do anything about it.

The outrage (specifically about violence) that episode caused has had me laughing hysterically.  Facebook exploded with people complaining that the violence was just too much.  How is two people having their heads bashed in too much on this particular show?  If they were talking about NCIS, I could agree.  However, this show has a repeated and consistent pattern of absolutely brutal violence, and disturbing things in general.  A beloved character was beheaded by being hacked repeatedly with a sword.  Cannibals slit throats and bled out people they intended to eat.  Those same cannibals ate a man's leg while taunting him about it.  Rick bit a man in the throat and then brutally stabbed to death another man that intended to rape his son.  Numerous people have been eaten alive by walkers in gory detail.  The Governor had a wall of aquariums full of severed heads.

2 hours ago, Strychnine said:

He should go down as one of the worst TV villains in history.  If he does not, they have not done him justice.  They have nailed him better than I thought they would be able to when bringing such a character to PG13-safe TV.  Negan lacks the comics' profane tirades, but he makes up for it with presence, brutality, and diabolical wit.  I actually think he is more convincing on the show than he is in the comics.

As for how dark the episode was, I think it was absolutely necessary.  The premise of the show is dark in itself, and a central theme has been the transformation of Rick from Officer Friendly to a man that will do absolutely anything (regardless of how monstrous) to protect his family and group.  At this point in Rick's development, it would take a complete monster leading a group of monsters to be threatening at all.  That is what the episode achieved.  It put all of them in an untenable situation.  They were forced to watch as two of them were brutally murdered (one of whom goes all the way back to the first episode), and they were all completely unable to do anything about it.

The outrage (specifically about violence) that episode caused has had me laughing hysterically.  Facebook exploded with people complaining that the violence was just too much.  How is two people having their heads bashed in too much on this particular show?  If they were talking about NCIS, I could agree.  However, this show has a repeated and consistent pattern of absolutely brutal violence, and disturbing things in general.  A beloved character was beheaded by being hacked repeatedly with a sword.  Cannibals slit throats and bled out people they intended to eat.  Those same cannibals ate a man's leg while taunting him about it.  Rick bit a man in the throat and then brutally stabbed to death another man that intended to rape his son.  Numerous people have been eaten alive by walkers in gory detail.  The Governor had a wall of aquariums full of severed heads.

Great take and I agree. To be honest, Negan's profane laced dialogue grew tired and to point of it seeming just lazy. We get it, he curses. 

Second thing, the people whining about being traumatized by this television show are probably the same people who spend most of their days watching HGTV and Dancing With the Stars. Perhaps I'm desensitized from being an avid horror fan, but to me TWD is horror-lite. I've seen worse on GoT. 

5 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Great take and I agree. To be honest, Negan's profane laced dialogue grew tired and to point of it seeming just lazy. We get it, he curses. 

Second thing, the people whining about being traumatized by this television show are probably the same people who spend most of their days watching HGTV and Dancing With the Stars. Perhaps I'm desensitized from being an avid horror fan, but to me TWD is horror-lite. I've seen worse on GoT. 

I could have appreciated their argument about violence or disturbing content if they had not made it through 6 seasons of serious violence and disturbing content to get to this point.  They were chopping up walkers and spreading guts all over Rick and Glenn in the second episode of the show.  That was the huge disclaimer that The Walking Dead is not going to be a show for the squeamish.  Any stragglers that could potentially be put off due to violence and/or content should not have made it past Terminus, or even the journey to Terminus.  If they cannot understand why that brutal violence was necessary to establish Negan, then you are right and they need to go back to watching HGTV.

I even saw some utterly ridiculous complaints that the episode was "way too much for their kids".  The first thing that pops in my head is:  "Why are your kids watching The Walking Dead?"  How does one reach that level of idiocy?  The Walking Dead is not acceptable for children.  It is not in any way intended for children.  In fact, it has a tendency to kill children.  You cannot cry foul when a show that is clearly intended for adults, in an adult timeslot, ends up having a lot of adult content.

5 hours ago, Strychnine said:

I could have appreciated their argument about violence or disturbing content if they had not made it through 6 seasons of serious violence and disturbing content to get to this point.  They were chopping up walkers and spreading guts all over Rick and Glenn in the second episode of the show.  That was the huge disclaimer that The Walking Dead is not going to be a show for the squeamish.  Any stragglers that could potentially be put off due to violence and/or content should not have made it past Terminus, or even the journey to Terminus.  If they cannot understand why that brutal violence was necessary to establish Negan, then you are right and they need to go back to watching HGTV.

I even saw some utterly ridiculous complaints that the episode was "way too much for their kids".  The first thing that pops in my head is:  "Why are your kids watching The Walking Dead?"  How does one reach that level of idiocy?  The Walking Dead is not acceptable for children.  It is not in any way intended for children.  In fact, it has a tendency to kill children.  You cannot cry foul when a show that is clearly intended for adults, in an adult timeslot, ends up having a lot of adult content.

My son got me into this show. Three years ago when he was 8. There are several scenes and language that I wish he didn't see. By the time I knew wth he was watching it was too late to stop. Like when he asked " what was that guy doing to Carl"? And he cried when Glenn got whacked and when Carl got shot. I guess I am a bad parent. But the violence don't bother me as bad as the sex, language, rape, homo scenes. They could do fine leaving that out. 

9 hours ago, alexava said:

My son got me into this show. Three years ago when he was 8. There are several scenes and language that I wish he didn't see. By the time I knew wth he was watching it was too late to stop. Like when he asked " what was that guy doing to Carl"? And he cried when Glenn got whacked and when Carl got shot. I guess I am a bad parent. But the violence don't bother me as bad as the sex, language, rape, homo scenes. They could do fine leaving that out. 

It is not my place to call you, or anyone else, a bad parent for letting your son watch The Walking Dead.  That is your decision.  I would probably allow my children to watch it, and discuss it with them, if I had children.

What I cannot abide are complaints that any of The Walking Dead's content is unsuitable or too much for children.  It does not masquerade as family programming, or attempt to sneak any of it in on an unsuspecting audience.  They let you know, very early on, exactly what kind of show it was going to be.  There is no shortage of family programming available, and even plenty of adult-oriented shows that could be considered family-safe by most.  You accept the risk of answering for what children might be exposed to if you let them watch The Walking Dead.

Violence, sex, language, rape, and homosexual scenes do not bother me, as I fully expect all of those things to be present in great quantity if modern humans were thrust into the world depicted.  It is a dark show, portraying a dark world.  A major point of emphasis with the show (and I would argue its overall plot) is the struggle of some characters to maintain a sense of humanity and morality as they knew it in a world that increasingly punishes them for it, while they are confronted with others that have abandoned it and even revel in the new world.  I think it is the most realistic imagining of such a thing that can be accomplished on cable television, and that is precisely why I like it.

20 hours ago, Strychnine said:

Cannibals slit throats and bled out people they intended to eat. 

That was the moment I felt like they entered new territory in terms of the violence. The bat to the head was something somehow more visceral than anything I'd seen on a show not named Game of Thrones, probably because it was actual people and not fake, already-dead things. At that point, I just said, "Okay, we're in new territory now. I'm a grown up and I can choose whether or not to keep watching." This season's opener obviously took it up a couple more notches in terms of graphic violence, but I don't think it really entered particularly new territory for the show. And the "suck my balls" and eyeball thing made it almost a little campy in a good way for me.

As for kids, I wouldn't let mine watch. One thing I like about the human-on-human violence on TWD is that it's not celebrated or glamorized. It always looks like a really bad thing that is not fun to inflict or receive. (As opposed to the shooting gallery Sly and Arnold movies of the 80s, where the good guy has unlimited ammo, can't miss and can't be hit.) So I don't think it encourages kids to try dangerous stuff, and therefore don't judge somebody who lets their kids watch it. (I'm all for my daughter hearing foul language in an intelligent way. I don't think it's being used intelligently in 'Westworld', for example. I'm also all for her seeing nudity and sex, as long as it's not gratuitous, exploitative or disrespectful in nature. When it comes to her being exposed love depicted in art, physical or otherwise, I couldn't care less about sexual orientation.) 

1) I'm so glad I found this thread.

2) The season opening episode, while brutal, was absolutely necessary to advance the story of this being a breaking point for Rick and crew.  I could have done without the "get my axe" portion of the episode, as I think you could have effectively broken RIck down while still in the woods, however it was all-in the right direction.  Also, all credit to my wife who completely called both deaths.

23 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

1) I'm so glad I found this thread.

2) The season opening episode, while brutal, was absolutely necessary to advance the story of this being a breaking point for Rick and crew.  I could have done without the "get my axe" portion of the episode, as I think you could have effectively broken RIck down while still in the woods, however it was all-in the right direction.  Also, all credit to my wife who completely called both deaths.

Totally agree. Rick reaching his reminds me of the lone surviving Navy Seal talk about reaching his breaking point and how everybody has one. Makes you wonder how much more the survivors can be pushed before either falling off the brink of sanity or logically ending everything  by committing suicide are the only two options.

Tonight's episode was a little more subdued than last week for sure. Pretty boring all around IMO. 

I don't really have many comments about it, as I expected it would just catch up with Carol and Morgan. 

I think the writing is on the wall, all the settlements paying rations to Negan and the Saviors will band together and ultimately crush them. 

Tonight's episode is a perfect example how binge watching it>week to week. I almost expect myself to tap out and just wait for the Netflix release next year.

7 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Tonight's episode was a little more subdued than last week for sure. Pretty boring all around IMO. 

I don't really have many comments about it, as I expected it would just catch up with Carol and Morgan. 

I think the writing is on the wall, all the settlements paying rations to Negan and the Saviors will band together and ultimately crush them. 

Tonight's episode is a perfect example how binge watching it>week to week. I almost expect myself to tap out and just wait for the Netflix release next year.

The episode was extremely boring. Was struggling to keep my eyes open. The previews for the next one seems very promising. Seems like Negan and his group will be trying to break down Daryl.

I think they had to go with a somewhat boring episode this week given how brutal the season opener was to many viewers.  Also, you needed a way to introduce the Kingdom since it's an important piece to the story.  TWD is always good for one of these a season (the Morgan backstory episode for example).  I do like how they are staying away from the main group for a few weeks, as it seems we are getting a Darryl focused episode next week.

12 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I think they had to go with a somewhat boring episode this week given how brutal the season opener was to many viewers.  Also, you needed a way to introduce the Kingdom since it's an important piece to the story.  TWD is always good for one of these a season (the Morgan backstory episode for example).  I do like how they are staying away from the main group for a few weeks, as it seems we are getting a Darryl focused episode next week.

I always like story building episodes. 

6 hours ago, alexava said:

Who thinks king Ezekiel will be getting it on with Carroll soon?

Yep!  She's taking the spot of Michonne in the comics for Ezekiel's love interest.

Archived