What do Ole Miss fans think of us?

ausoldiergrad

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although I think we can win big on this game, I don't want to go in overconfident.  Arkansas was the same way last week and they got manhandled.  Need to respect Ole Miss in the hostile environment at night.

Not overconfident, but looking strictly at the matchups and circumstances, we should win by at least 10.

• OM potentially will be missing two starting O-lineman.  Good luck with that against a deep and talented AU D-line.  This should also help negate the Chad Kelly effect when combined with -
  • Our secondary.  They have played lights out and their coverage has allowed that extra second for the d-line to make plays.  Chad Kelly may be running for his life most of the night.  I still think we have the best overall defense in the league, and yes, I'm aware of that team in Tuscaloosa.
  • OM can't stop the run.  We run the ball extremely well, particularly between the tackles.
  • We still have the best kicker in college football.
  • OM is coming off back-to-back physical games on the road.  We got to rest starters in the 4th quarter after a bye week.
  • Sorry y'all, but Oxford isn't the toughest place in the world to play.  I've been to three games there.  It's the best road trip in the SEC for fun/tailgating, but the stadium and noise isn't anything to write home about.

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:
  • OM is coming off back-to-back physical games on the road.  We got to rest starters in the 4th quarter after a bye week.

Salient point here, especially since they lost both of those to divisional opponents. They're completely out of the hunt. If Freeze can get them up for this game, it will be one of the more remarkable coaching jobs of the season in all of CFB. 

What do Ole Miss fans think of us? Well Hugh Freeze previews Auburn

"On Auburn’s defense…
“Their front six, their secondary is good too, but their front six just jump off the page at you. They are an issue, they are a problem for you, for whoever plays them. Whether it is (Carl) Lawson or (Montravius) Adams or their two backups, they are too deep in every position and definitely an SEC talent. They are an elite defense, so whether you are zone blocking them or back schemes or pass protecting, it is an issue and it is one that you cannot afford to get behind the chains on.”

8 minutes ago, oldaufeller said:

What do Ole Miss fans think of us? Well Hugh Freeze previews Auburn

"On Auburn’s defense…
“Their front six, their secondary is good too, but their front six just jump off the page at you. They are an issue, they are a problem for you, for whoever plays them. Whether it is (Carl) Lawson or (Montravius) Adams or their two backups, they are too deep in every position and definitely an SEC talent. They are an elite defense, so whether you are zone blocking them or back schemes or pass protecting, it is an issue and it is one that you cannot afford to get behind the chains on.”

I read the entire interview by Freeze. He does not sound very confident about his team. Also, interestingly, if you check at the end of the page, it says that Freeze is facing the same dilemma as Gus did a month ago on play-calling. Sounds like the coaching staff is not on a same page. 

It's only words, but I feel cautiously confident coming in this game about our team. WAR EAGLE!

11 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Guess I'm more nervous for Ole Miss than either fan base at this point. Playing at Oxford scares me. 

And so are a lot of folks, but that has to do with the media's attempt to make them look good. It was apparent after the FSU game that OM was not the team preseason polls rated. That preseason came because they have had uat's number for the last two years and almost again this year. After FSU proving to be way down also from preseason picks it should have been obvious that OM was down this year. Losses to the piggies and LSU prove the fact. The only reason they continued to get the love from the polls was to pump uat's number for beating them. Unless we have a lot of turnovers I don't see this even being close. I saw one of their predictions were that they would return a punt for a TD. :-\ good luck with that one since we have allowed -3 yards on punt returns for the year. WDE

10 minutes ago, The Freak said:

How much are we really gonna punt?

Our second or third string may not be able to move the ball very effectively in the 2nd half, and therefore could give way to a few punts..................  sorry. I am reaching for their cause.  lol

A trend has begun! Sorry guys. Healthcare life has gotten me busy. I will make sure to add more to this our following game. Not to mention, The rebs have pretty sucky boards.

3 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Although I think we can win big on this game, I don't want to go in overconfident.  Arkansas was the same way last week and they got manhandled.  Need to respect Ole Miss in the hostile environment at night.

Arkansas had zero reasons to be overconfident. A small majority of us said, that we should win comfortable (Of course, not by 53). The same goes with Ole Miss. They do not match up well. They have zero running attack and their defense is on par with Arkansas. With that being said, Our secondary needs to make plays when the opportunity is there. I am ready for them to take that next step.

We use to be about other teams figuring out our disguised running plays. This year is just power running downhill . The only guess is if you load the box then we will go wide or pass. But if you move them out of the box we have the power to just run over them. Even as good as bama is I think we can get a 3rd and 2  most of the time. Kozan and Smith are strong add in Cox and we can create some holes .WDE

17 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Guess I'm more nervous for Ole Miss than either fan base at this point. Playing at Oxford scares me. 

come on now. Playing OM in Oxford with the state of their team is about as scary as a Disney Cruise with 4 year olds running about.

6 hours ago, AUDynasty said:

I read the entire interview by Freeze. He does not sound very confident about his team. Also, interestingly, if you check at the end of the page, it says that Freeze is facing the same dilemma as Gus did a month ago on play-calling. Sounds like the coaching staff is not on a same page. 

It's only words, but I feel cautiously confident coming in this game about our team. WAR EAGLE!

The offensive staff that OM has, is made up of retread, but veteran coaches. I honestly think that our coaching staff on both sides of the ball is superior from top to bottom. Folks may not realize that the 2016 team is nothing like the 2015 or 2014 teams. They lost a ton of talent on both sides of the ball, and just cannot find an identity this year.

On 10/24/2016 at 6:15 PM, lionheartkc said:

Gotta love this topic... they are trying to guess how bad Pettway is going to run all over them...

http://www.secrant.com/rant/ole-miss-sports/predict-bubba-pettways-stats-on-saturday/66377834/

I know the answer to this one!  The answer is that Bubba is gonna run over 'em bad. Real bad!

On 10/24/2016 at 6:21 PM, johnnyAU said:

Funny, but I fully expect to get the Rebels' A game for this one. I hope we stay focused and play with the same energy we did on Saturday. 

I also expect the Ole Miss Bearbels to bring their "A" game. Too bad for Ole Miss that their "A" game, graded on a curve, is gonna be about a C minus to a D plus against AU.

Instead of what do ole miss fans think of us, should be what do they think of their team and current status of their program.

tMeltdown is beginning
Bryan Jones and Willie Gay have both decommitted in the past 2 days (two of our top recruits). We have one of the worst defenses in the nation. Wommack needs to be fired. The NCAA hammer is looming. Freeze is great, but he's no Saban. Everyone is hurt. Kelly is having a less than stellar season. And, probably the worst of all, the excitement is gone, and a portion of the fan base has already given up on the season. 

The game against Auburn this weekend could determine whether or not this program will be good for years to come. Every single odd is stacked against us, and we have been reeling for a few days now. 

Our boys better give a frickin hurculean effort, or we could quickly slip back into a football oblivion. However, if we win, I think it's a sign that there are surely better things to come. 

What say ye fellow Rebels?

Source

10 hours ago, doc4aday said:

come on now. Playing OM in Oxford with the state of their team is about as scary as a Disney Cruise with 4 year olds running about.

have you ever been surrounded by a bunch of 4 year olds?  THAT IS SCARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17 minutes ago, trout54 said:

have you ever been surrounded by a bunch of 4 year olds?  THAT IS SCARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have.  It's remarkably like being on this messageboard after the Clemson game.

I just have this feeling we're gonna get their best possible shot. Freeze may have his guys rally in a "backs against the wall" mindset and really come after us. Those receivers are the most talented bunch we've seen since A&M or Clemson. It's not going to be easy. That said, I think if we start fast like we did against Arkansas and have a strong 1st quarter, the air may come out of the sails. I see this being like the OM-LSU game where it's a little tight early but we start pulling away in the second half and win comfortably.

9 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

That prediction thread for Bubba, that the OM fans did, is a thing of beauty. I love us having a running back that is so scary. 

And he's our #2 back...

Archived