Things I Think I Saw: Auburn vs Ole Miss.....

JMR

Thanks for the report.....one other thought....seems that the AU defensive strategy was to keep the ball in front of the DBs....lots of open short passes but other than the fortuitous drop late in the game, the AU defense did let the receivers get open deep and I guess OM respected the AU rush potential such that they did not try many of those.....and we did not give up a real home run play.    If was painful to watch the open receivers on the short passes but the D did a better job as OM got closer to the red zone.

Thanks Coach. Always enjoy your insight. God Bless and WDE !!!

33 minutes ago, JMR said:

• I thought Auburn’s “heavy set” offensively was interesting, as, instead of bringing in a 6th offensive lineman as a tight end, they brought Mike Horton in at Braden Smith’s guard spot, and moved Braden out to tight end. Kind of makes sense to do it that way in my opinion, as it gets Horton some experience at the position he actually “plays”, and uses a more experienced player at tight end.   Did Braden Smith change his number for the play?  If not, he wasn't a tight end. He was a tackle. Unless he changed his number he's not eligible to go down field for a pass.
  • Have to admit I was a little surprised when Rhett Lashlee pulled out the old tackle-eligible play with an offensive lineman (in this case, Darius James) lined up imitating a wide receiver. Despite James’ “I’m open! I’m open!” antics, no one in the Ole Miss secondary was fooled into covering him (he was not an eligible receiver). Still, the Rebs did fail to account for “tackle” Jalen Harris on the other side, resulting in an uncontested touchdown catch for Harris. A question: Since Harris is actually a tight end by trade, does that play count as a pass to a tight end…..even though he was lined up as a tackle?   No such thing as a tackle eligible in college football.  It doesn't exist.  Harris was an end not a tackle.  He has to be on the end of the line or in the backfield to be eligible to go downfield and since he was on the line, he had to be on the end, therefore he's an end not a tackle.    I realize this may be playing semantics a bit but the term tackle eligible is used incorrectly since a tackle is never eligible to go down field on a pass play. 

Other than that noted above, great job as usual.  I really enjoy reading these every week.

• Like 2

• RunInRed pinned and featured this topic

Thanks, Coach. My sons and I were at the game. The thing that stood out to me about the defense was how tired they were by the middle of the third quarter. And I think that explains some of the missed tackles in the secondary. But they continued to fight and I never saw diminished effort. 

The old saying that "fatigue makes cowards of us all" was not true of the Auburn D. And in some ways that was the most gratifying lesson to me. 

• Like 5

DeShaun Davis looked a little heavy too. It wouldn't hurt him to lose a few pounds. Not complaining because he is the best we have had in a long time. 

Count on other teams - most notably UGa and Bama - trying this olé miss blueprint that shredded our secondary for the first half, although they won't have Chad Kelly on an "on" night and a volleyball team disguised as WRs. Steele made decent halftime adjustments IMO and this was NOT his pre Auburn MO of having a D occasionally torched whistle to whistle (see e.g his Clemson swansong vs W Va etc).

If Uga and bama try what ole miss does it will be the best thing could happen for auburn.    Neither of those teams can match what ole miss does in the passing game.   To me, the biggest plays were made by the swing passes to the running back.   They converted several third and longs on those plays.    Make a stop on those plays and the d comes off the field.

Great post as usual Coach. I have not re-watched the film but I was pretty sure that the DBs closed on on the line of scrimmage the second half, thus disrupting the route early and eliminating the quick pass. I think that is why our dline was able to get to Kelly the second half. Great game and will actually help these guys going forward. As for uga and uat going forward Hurt is more of a runner instead of passer and Eason hasn't showed me much of ether ability. Heck right now I expect more from Vandy than uga. Personally I think Mark was more of the reason for uga's success recently than their team was. I look for us to own uga for a while.  WDE

I always look forward to this post -- thanks so much, Coach.
I love White as a player: he has guts. I do wish he'd settle down with his throwing, though.

And I sure am glad Ole Miss was hurting on the OL. That game didn't have to end well.

22 hours ago, JMR said:

Alex Kozan continues to perform at a very high level on the offensive line. One of the reasons Auburn’s zone blocking is working so well inside is that the linemen are finding the right defender as they execute. Kozan is doing that exceptionally well.

How about him blocking two defenders on that goal line run??  One of them (on the inside) did make the tackle on the RB (KJ?) right at the goal line but b/c of Kozan he was off balance and the RB was able to get across the goal line.

23 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Eli Stove is super fast. What a weapon. 

What is Eli's forty speed? I would guess it is in the 4.4 range. He may not be as fast as JFIII, but he is pretty close.

23 hours ago, WarTiger said:

Other than that noted above, great job as usual.  I really enjoy reading these every week.

Other than noted above? Lol

On 10/30/2016 at 1:58 PM, JMR said:

Realizing that Auburn only threw the ball 22 times, I thought Sean White adjusted very well to the absence of Tony Stevens, who had been his favorite target so far this season. Kyle Davis continues to impress, and did a great job beating the DB on the deep pass that White missed him on.

Some of the misses in other games have been overthrows, but this one appeared to be more on the receiver to me. It was not an overthrow, but was thrown to the inside of the receiver, away from the defender. The WR has to adjust to the ball on these deep balls. I agree with your overall point though, start hooking up here and look out. 

20 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Count on other teams - most notably UGa and Bama - trying this olé miss blueprint that shredded our secondary for the first half, although they won't have Chad Kelly on an "on" night and a volleyball team disguised as WRs. Steele made decent halftime adjustments IMO and this was NOT his pre Auburn MO of having a D occasionally torched whistle to whistle (see e.g his Clemson swansong vs W Va etc).

I hope Georgia tries it.  You can bet that this D will dissect that film to the second to figure out what happened.  They are happy we won, but pissed that they gave up that many yards.  They won't let it happen that way again.

Edited by lionheartkc

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 3:38 PM, WarTiger said:

Have to admit I was a little surprised when Rhett Lashlee pulled out the old tackle-eligible play with an offensive lineman (in this case, Darius James) lined up imitating a wide receiver. Despite James’ “I’m open! I’m open!” antics, no one in the Ole Miss secondary was fooled into covering him (he was not an eligible receiver). Still, the Rebs did fail to account for “tackle” Jalen Harris on the other side, resulting in an uncontested touchdown catch for Harris. A question: Since Harris is actually a tight end by trade, does that play count as a pass to a tight end…..even though he was lined up as a tackle?   No such thing as a tackle eligible in college football.  It doesn't exist.  Harris was an end not a tackle.  He has to be on the end of the line or in the backfield to be eligible to go downfield and since he was on the line, he had to be on the end, therefore he's an end not a tackle.    I realize this may be playing semantics a bit but the term tackle eligible is used incorrectly since a tackle is never eligible to go down field on a pass play. 

Ditto,that's the TE pass I alluded to last week when someone lamented not throwing to that position...AND ,btw,Jalen Hurts is no Chad Kelly

20 hours ago, doc4aday said:

What is Eli's forty speed? I would guess it is in the 4.4 range. He may not be as fast as JFIII, but he is pretty close.

I think jf3 is much faster on the field. They may have similar 40 times but jf3 has that speed that translates perfectly to the football field. 

Right now, I believe stove is a fast WR. Jf3 has freaky elite speed. The way he makes everyone else on the field look like they're walking when he runs is crazy.

4 hours ago, Charhair said:

I think jf3 is much faster on the field. They may have similar 40 times but jf3 has that speed that translates perfectly to the football field. 

Right now, I believe stove is a fast WR. Jf3 has freaky elite speed. The way he makes everyone else on the field look like they're walking when he runs is crazy.

JFIII's acceleration is also off the charts. I've never watched video of him in a track competition, but I'd be willing to bet that he won of a lot of races in the first 20 meters or so. 

Another fun topic to "fight" about for sure. 

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

JFIII's acceleration is also off the charts. I've never watched video of him in a track competition, but I'd be willing to bet that he won of a lot of races in the first 20 meters or so. 

Another fun topic to "fight" about for sure. 

pot stirrer

• Like 1

who is the fastest OL of the starting group?  Also, who is the fastest DL of the starting group?  Some fun topics to chew the fat over!

Edited by doc4aday