Spotlight on Jalen Harris Score

StatTiger

Auburn finally broke their drought of 20 games without a pass attempt to a tight end. Auburn's last pass attempt to a TE came during their 2014 game against Wisconsin in 2014. The play broke several tendencies and came inside the red zone, an area Auburn had struggled earlier in the season. During the first 4 games of the season, Auburn scored 77.3% inside the red zone with a TD percentage of 31.8%. During the last 4 games, Auburn has scored 94.4% inside the RZ with a TD percentage of 77.8%.

The play...

photo Ole - Jalen Harris TD_zpsyrf44lsl.jpg

On this play Auburn faces a 2nd & 7 from the Ole Miss 16-yard line. Auburn sets up in their Wing-T formation with Chandler Cox lined up behind the center. The offense shifts to what appears to be an empty backfield set with Sean White back behind the center. Jalen Harris is lined up initially like a TE on an unbalanced line in the box set but when the offense shifts, he looks like the LT. By alignment, Harri becomes an eligible receiver because the FB and WR are technically in the backfield.

Just before the snap (frame #3), Ole Miss doesn't recognize the alignment and the fact Harris is an eligible receiver. Only two defenders on the boundary cover the FB and WR and Harris is allowed to release off the line at the snap unaccounted for before the snap. Sean White delivers the pass to a wide open Harris who scores on a 16-yard TD pass. The key to the success of the play was Gus Malzahn approaching an official just before Auburn ran the play to remind them the formation they were about to see was a LEGAL formation. Auburn has run a similar play in the past without success and were flagged for an illegal formation when it wasn't.

• Like 2

I just loved the way a quick formation shift created a mismatch wide-open receiver.  That's coaching.  That's brilliant.  More please.

34 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

I just loved the way a quick formation shift created a mismatch wide-open receiver.  That's coaching.  That's brilliant.  More please.

Yes, play it again Sam.

1 hour ago, StatTiger said:

The key to the success of the play was Gus Malzahn approaching an official just before Auburn ran the play to remind them the formation they were about to see was a LEGAL formation. Auburn has run a similar play in the past without success and were flagged for an illegal formation when it wasn't.

Wow, interesting. I bet Gus isnt a favorite among refs because he makes them think too hard.:Sing:

There was a backer lined up over Harris, but a lot of times when an O goes empty it triggers an automatic blitz by the backers. If he had not rushed the QB, he would be been in coverage. Similar to the backer on the stong side.

I didn't see the initial formation (eating at BWW while watching the game) but I looked up in time to see them shifting out and I immediately got excited and saying "New play! New play!"

I probably would've been groaning had I saw the Wing-T first. lol

It's been a mystery to me why Auburn has not thrown to the TE more. Razzle-dazzle trickeration is not necessarily required to have a TE catch a football. However, it certainly worked in this case, and I jumped to my feet  hollering when I saw the play unfolding.