Auburn's stingy defense

StatTiger

53 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

So if you play a weak schedule with a high ratio, doesn't that somewhat distort any true evaluation of the strength of a defense for the purposes of predicting future outcomes?  I understand the concept, but if you have a "bend but don't break" D against weak offenses, you can't expect that to factor into any predictions of future opponents of higher quality.  It's an interesting statistic, but I'd have to see some results over time that support it being a good measure for rating how good a defense actually is.  I'm not disputing it, because you do an amazing job with stats...I just see some holes in this one.

I'm guessing that Stat was hoping that people would take such obvious concepts into account when assessing the value of the numbers. Also, Stat didn't say that we have the best defense in the country. He said we are currently leading in a meaningful category and that we are currently ranked 36 spots higher than we finished last year. Surely you agree that our defense has significantly improved since last year? I hope so, because it has in almost every other metric out there- dramatically in some cases.

Also, you might notice that most, if not all of the top 10 teams in the playoff rankings are on that list. It would seem that there is at least some correlation between being ranked highly on this list and winning football games. 

Also, everybody is now at least 7 games deep into the season. Everybody has played a few crappy teams and likely a couple good teams. We have played Clemson, TAMU and Ole Miss- all pretty good offenses. In fact, we only face one more offense this season that is on par with those. 

On 11/2/2016 at 11:03 AM, McLoofus said:

I'm guessing that Stat was hoping that people would take such obvious concepts into account when assessing the value of the numbers. Also, Stat didn't say that we have the best defense in the country. He said we are currently leading in a meaningful category and that we are currently ranked 36 spots higher than we finished last year. Surely you agree that our defense has significantly improved since last year? I hope so, because it has in almost every other metric out there- dramatically in some cases.

Also, you might notice that most, if not all of the top 10 teams in the playoff rankings are on that list. It would seem that there is at least some correlation between being ranked highly on this list and winning football games. 

Also, everybody is now at least 7 games deep into the season. Everybody has played a few crappy teams and likely a couple good teams. We have played Clemson, TAMU and Ole Miss- all pretty good offenses. In fact, we only face one more offense this season that is on par with those. 

There was a reason I said I'm not disputing it but I'd like to see this play out over time, but you get the StatTiger brownie post of the day...so you've got that going for you.

Edited by Swamp Eagle
Misspell

4 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

There was a reason I said I'm not disputing it but I'd like to see this play out over time, but you get the StatTiger brownie post of the day...so you've got that going for you.

"I'm not disputing it, just calling it useless." Cool.

Play out over time? Like 8 games and two top 5 teams? Possibly 2 first round quarterbacks? Yeah, let's fold our arms and wait for 'em to show us somethin'.

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

"I'm not disputing it, just calling it useless." Cool.

Play out over time? Like 8 games and two top 5 teams? Possibly 2 first round quarterbacks? Yeah, let's fold our arms and wait for 'em to show us somethin'.

You're a bit of of a drama queen, no?  And please brush up on your reading comprehension.  Not once was the effort of the D called into question by me; only the statistical method of point-to-yards ratio. 

57 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

You're a bit of of a drama queen, no?  And please brush up on your reading comprehension.  Not once was the effort of the D called into question by me; only the statistical method of point-to-yards ratio. 

Am I a drama queen or are you a bit thin skinned and defensive? Speaking of, I'm dying to know who brought up effort, because it certainly wasn't me. But that's the thing about tired cliches from the Generic Message Board Tough Guy Handbook- they're usually misapplied and off the mark.

Enjoy having the last word here. 

We are going to realize that what "stinginest" our D had this year was the result of one year of Muschamp and TRob.  They instilled a Pat Dye-type of attitude of toughness when it came to D.  I took all of the 2015 season for it to start to come to fruition, but it did.  That carried over into this season. I hope the regression we have seen the last two games is not a reflection on the current DC and DB coach.  Our DL has only played up to par or less this season.  That is a reflection on their coaching as well.

wde

49 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

We are going to realize that what "stinginest" our D had this year was the result of one year of Muschamp and TRob.  They instilled a Pat Dye-type of attitude of toughness when it came to D.  I took all of the 2015 season for it to start to come to fruition, but it did.  That carried over into this season. I hope the regression we have seen the last two games is not a reflection on the current DC and DB coach.  Our DL has only played up to par or less this season.  That is a reflection on their coaching as well.

wde

Are you always this down? Life's too short our def. is good not great. Sometimes we will play ughy and win be happy. The uga may not go our way but I know we can win with or without certain players but I also uga could put a butt whipping on us. As for the defense your trying to think too much into it. Enjoy being in the top 10 when I bet you didn't think we would be in the top 25 just like me. 

As for the Pat Dye attitude you don't think DD or Tre Williams have such attitude......we have some slobberknockers on defense 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Am I a drama queen or are you a bit thin skinned and defensive? Speaking of, I'm dying to know who brought up effort, because it certainly wasn't me. But that's the thing about tired cliches from the Generic Message Board Tough Guy Handbook- they're usually misapplied and off the mark.

Enjoy having the last word here. 

I don't need the last word, Im just enjoying you making a perpetual ass of yourself.