Null



Sign in to follow this  
corchjay

The "R" word

Recommended Posts

Something has been bothering me for quite some time now.  When did it become cool to call people "retarded"?  As for me it's like the "n" word at my house.  I have a 13 year old step son that is IC (intelliculally challenged).  So stop and think before you use it.  

www.r-word.org

Spread the word to end the word

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




As to when, it was a common thing during my high school years, which were before most people on this forum were born. It's only relatively recently that people have started to think about not using retarded as a slang insult. Surely, you heard and possibly used the expression "you retard!" in days of yore?

There was a home for such children near my house when I was a kid. Sometimes we'd talk to them through the chain-link fence that surrounded their grounds. If my grandmother ever heard one of us refer to "those crazy kids" she'd get after us hard. "We don't use that word, 'crazy' do we? Now how are they to be called?" If you didn't come up with the proper "retarded" there would be consequences. Times change, word usage changes. Adults may think before they speak, but teenagers will probably be using words like retard, gay and queer as insults forever.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/1/2016 at 0:58 PM, corchjay said:

Something has been bothering me for quite some time now.  When did it become cool to call people "retarded"?  As for me it's like the "n" word at my house.  I have a 13 year old step son that is IC (intellectually challenged).  So stop and think before you use it.  

www.r-word.org

Spread the word to end the word

I call myself that..and yes I am IC too. I have very low self esteem

 

but yeah I never use the R word about anyone else, only myself. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Auburn06 said:

I call myself that..and yes I am IC too. I have very low self esteem

 

but yeah I never use the R word about anyone else, only myself. 

I'm sure you are higher then a 52 IQ tho.  Hope all finds you well.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On November 1, 2016 at 1:58 PM, corchjay said:

Something has been bothering me for quite some time now.  When did it become cool to call people "retarded"?  As for me it's like the "n" word at my house.  I have a 13 year old step son that is IC (intelliculally challenged).  So stop and think before you use it.  

www.r-word.org

Spread the word to end the word

Those that do not have children with intellectual disabilities find this hard to understand.  Many of us grew up using the "r" word.  As adults it is habit for some.   My favorite are the "adults" that use the "r" word and "short bus" references around me, knowing that my child has Down syndrome. Ignorance is no excuse, since the word is generally being used in a derogatory manner in the conversation in the first place. 

I am not one that is easily offended, and I never pick a battle with someone over their use of the word.  Part of being an adult is understanding the words you use, and the audience that receives those words.  The word retarded is not in itself offensive, using the word as a derogatory term is offensive to those of us who live with this disability in our families.   

There is hope.  I find the kids that go to school with my son(15), to be very supportive and inclusive.  It is generally the adults that struggle with this the most, and you can clearly tell kids that are not taught tolerance at home.   

I encourage all to inform yourself on the college life programs for those with disabilities.  Clemson has a phenomenal program.  Maybe Auburn can copy Clemson for a change.  

War eagle 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2016 at 11:13 PM, tigerrules said:

Those that do not have children with intellectual disabilities find this hard to understand.  Many of us grew up using the "r" word.  As adults it is habit for some.   My favorite are the "adults" that use the "r" word and "short bus" references around me, knowing that my child has Down syndrome. Ignorance is no excuse, since the word is generally being used in a derogatory manner in the conversation in the first place. 

I am not one that is easily offended, and I never pick a battle with someone over their use of the word.  Part of being an adult is understanding the words you use, and the audience that receives those words.  The word retarded is not in itself offensive, using the word as a derogatory term is offensive to those of us who live with this disability in our families.   

There is hope.  I find the kids that go to school with my son(15), to be very supportive and inclusive.  It is generally the adults that struggle with this the most, and you can clearly tell kids that are not taught tolerance at home.   

I encourage all to inform yourself on the college life programs for those with disabilities.  Clemson has a phenomenal program.  Maybe Auburn can copy Clemson for a change.  

War eagle 

 

My brother, Jake, is a junior in high school and has DS as well. Jake is very high functioning and he is determined to go to college. We have been researching and we found out that Auburn actually has a program in the works similar to Clemson life. It is on the "fast track" according to the people my mom has spoken with and they hope to have it up and running next year. We are hoping Jake will be able to attend AU!

I completely agree with you about how insensitive people can be. I have had people use the terms "short bus" and "retard" around me, knowing about my brother, and it infuriates me. I had a bammer tell me once "Cam Newton naming his child Chosen is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I hope that kid turns out retarded." That is probably the maddest I have ever been. I retorted "Well my brother has Down Syndrome and he's still pretty da** chosen in my book."

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2016 at 5:29 PM, AubieAH3 said:

My brother, Jake, is a junior in high school and has DS as well. Jake is very high functioning and he is determined to go to college. We have been researching and we found out that Auburn actually has a program in the works similar to Clemson life. It is on the "fast track" according to the people my mom has spoken with and they hope to have it up and running next year. We are hoping Jake will be able to attend AU!

I completely agree with you about how insensitive people can be. I have had people use the terms "short bus" and "retard" around me, knowing about my brother, and it infuriates me. I had a bammer tell me once "Cam Newton naming his child Chosen is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I hope that kid turns out retarded." That is probably the maddest I have ever been. I retorted "Well my brother has Down Syndrome and he's still pretty da** chosen in my book."

Did your brother end up at Clemson?  How is he doing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this