***Auburn 23 Vanderbilt 16 -- Post Game Thread***

RunInRed

15 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Good points, but does not excuse the fact that at a big time SEC program like Auburn we have a backup QB who is incapable of completing just a few timely passes, especially one who is a threat to break a touchdown run any time he touches the ball. We heard the same things about NM, and his passing, he did miss some big passing opportunities, but he did prove that he did not need to be Tom Brady to be effective. Just the threat that he may throw deep at any time kept the defense somewhat honest. I will not believe that JF3 cannot at least be a serviceable backup until I see him given the opportunity to run the complete playbook. Basically what I have seen from Lashlee when he has played is just a variation of the wildcat.  Say what you want, but if JF3 cannot throw at all, and is your backup QB, you have failed miserably as a coach.

Perhaps made a bad recruiting decision which happens all the time....everywhere.  And nobody expected Queen to be out the entire season or JJ not to snap back and look like the QB he was projected to be. 

Otherwise, I'm not sure that any coach can teach a player to pass at the level required in the SEC in 3 months or 3 years.   By the time a guy is 19 or 20 I expect it is more of a matter that some have it.....and some don't and likely never will. 

Comparing him to NM is a big reach since NM had a successful Juco career as a starting QB whereas JF3 was a back-up with modest playing time and was mostly counted on as a runner there too.

And one other thought....giving an inexperienced QB like #5 the entire playbook and expecting him to run it is just setting him up for failure IMO.  Almost certainly the coaches WANT him to be successful ....in this case....NEED him to be successful .....and thus are making a decision on his plays that give him the best chance for success. 

It's hard for me to believe that giving him a bigger variety of plays is going to increase his chances for success at QB. Just sayin' :dunno:

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Perhaps made a bad recruiting decision which happens all the time....everywhere.  And nobody expected Queen to be out the entire season or JJ not to snap back and look like the QB he was projected to be. 

Otherwise, I'm not sure that any coach can teach a player to pass at the level required in the SEC in 3 months or 3 years.   By the time a guy is 19 or 20 I expect it is more of a matter that some have it.....and some don't and likely never will. 

Comparing him to NM is a big reach since NM had a successful Juco career as a starting QB whereas JF3 was a back-up with modest playing time and was mostly counted on as a runner there too.

And one other thought....giving an inexperienced QB like #5 the entire playbook and expecting him to run it is just setting him up for failure IMO.  Almost certainly the coaches WANT him to be successful ....in this case....NEED him to be successful .....and thus are making a decision on his plays that give him the best chance for success. 

It's hard for me to believe that giving him a bigger variety of plays is going to increase his chances for success at QB. Just sayin' :dunno:

You sure aren't helping him by just running every play, and expecting him to lead your team to success, but you are perhaps right about recruiting failures, also Gus' fault. He had a team with perceived QB problems all of last year, and priority number one was to find a QB to lead the team back to offensive success, and they went out and signed a QB who if we believe what most are saying, is not even capable of throwing the ball at all. Not to mention, he wasted an entire spring, and most of fall camp trying to decide who would be the starter, when it is clear to all with even a remote understanding of football that Sean White is by far the best QB on the team. Make all the excuses for Gus that you want to, but that debacle we saw the first game this year still burns in my mind. Look, all I'm saying is if he has no confidence that JF3 can throw at all, he better be getting some one else ready to play (edit), should have already gotten some one else ready to play, because they are one play away from being the man at any time.

10 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

You sure aren't helping him by just running every play, and expecting him to lead your team to success, but you are perhaps right about recruiting failures, also Gus' fault. He had a team with perceived QB problems all of last year, and priority number one was to find a QB to lead the team back to offensive success, and they went out and signed a QB who if we believe what most are saying, is not even capable of throwing the ball at all. Not to mention, he wasted an entire spring, and most of fall camp trying to decide who would be the starter, when it is clear to all with even a remote understanding of football that Sean White is by far the best QB on the team. Make all the excuses for Gus that you want to, but that debacle we saw the first game this year still burns in my mind. Look, all I'm saying is if he has no confidence that JF3 can throw at all, he better be getting some one else ready to play (edit), should have already gotten some one else ready to play, because they are one play away from being the man at any time.

Generally agree with you on this...and especially the Clemson debacle.

As for the present situation.   JMO but Gus or RL rolled the dice on JF3 and maybe did not have other good options out there either as far as a JUCO candidates were concerned.  They probably hoped they could tidy up his passing deficiencies which does  not appear to have happened.   Not defending Gus on the issue other than to say that a number of SEC schools are in worse shape at QB than AU and had the same opportunity (time wise) to solve their QB problems....and yet are still groping around for a solution and are struggling mightily . 

Back to my comment earlier....Gus NEEDs for JF3 to be able to run the team successfully and I'm confident that he and RL and HH are doing all they can to put together an offensive scheme that he can be successful in.  If it turns our that the first half last Saturday is what we can expect, I'm not blaming the coaches any more than I blame them because JR is not on the field.  The coaches can teach, mentor, etc.....but in the end, the guys have to deliver the goods on the field.

12 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

Well if we REALLY dissect mistakes or what not the Lamar Jackson mistake is a national title mistake

12 hours ago, AU64 said:

Lol but it's also acceptable to pile on him about passing when he didn't get any attempts. 

Of all the football I've ever seen this is the first time I've ever witnessed people say he's bad no matter what. 

imagejpeg

I'm struggling with the pic from Saturday Down South, but it states Auburn is the only team in the country averaging over 300 yards rushing and 200 yards passing this season!

Only team in the country! Thanks coach Gus, Rhett and coach Hand!

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Lol but it's also acceptable to pile on him about passing when he didn't get any attempts. 

Of all the football I've ever seen this is the first time I've ever witnessed people say he's bad no matter what. 

It's unfair to JF3, really. As coaches have said themselves, other than the fumble that he had, he played well. We only had 4 possessions in the first half, and 2 of those were scoring drives. 

• 6 months later...
On 11/5/2016 at 2:45 PM, AubieAH3 said:

Can someone with some officiating knowledge tell me if that blocked field goal was legal? I keep seeing conflicting info. I know in the NFL you can leap the line if you don't land on anyone, but some of the info I'm seeing says you can't leap the line in college at all. Was that a blown call or correct?

Not discussed here with nearly the depth provided on this forum (way back when) but, apparently, not legal now.

"Zach Cunningham's incredible field goal block against Auburn last year would be illegal if it happened in this upcoming football season.

Steve Shaw, the SEC's coordinator of referees, explained Thursday that a new change coming to the 2017 season outlaws a defensive player who runs forward from the neutral zone and jumps over in an attempt to block a field goal or PAT."

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2017/06/zach_cunninghams_fg_block_agai.html

12 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Not discussed here with nearly the depth provided on this forum (way back when) but, apparently, not legal now.

"Zach Cunningham's incredible field goal block against Auburn last year would be illegal if it happened in this upcoming football season.

Steve Shaw, the SEC's coordinator of referees, explained Thursday that a new change coming to the 2017 season outlaws a defensive player who runs forward from the neutral zone and jumps over in an attempt to block a field goal or PAT."

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2017/06/zach_cunninghams_fg_block_agai.html

I say let them try.  If a kid is that athletic and can make that play then so be it.  I hate that it happened to AU but that was one hell of a play by Cunningham.  I don't know that I have ever seen that done in a real game (Waterboy doesn't count). 

Just now, lkeel75 said:

I say let them try.  If a kid is that athletic and can make that play then so be it.  I hate that it happened to AU but that was one hell of a play by Cunningham.  I don't know that I have ever seen that done in a real game (Waterboy doesn't count). 

Our very own Daren Bates did it when he was playing for the Rams. I think he was the first to do it actually but it didn't receive the media coverage that the copy-cats got. 

Maybe because he was on the Rams lol

6 hours ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Actually it was discussed here at great depth when it happened.  Ive been officiating football for over 20 years.   I dont know it all but I do know quite a bit.  I do a rules and interpretations thread at the beginning of every season.  Case plays from real games and ruling.  Look for it in July and this play will be one that I cover again.    

17 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

Actually it was discussed here at great depth when it happened.  Ive been officiating football for over 20 years.   I dont know it all but I do know quite a bit.  I do a rules and interpretations thread at the beginning of every season.  Case plays from real games and ruling.  Look for it in July and this play will be one that I cover again.    

Sorry. I was misunderstood (again)?

By "Not discussed here with nearly the depth provided on this forum," I meant that the new reference was downright superficial compared to the coverage you and others had already provided for me (way back when). I look forward further scrutiny/context of the play.

3 hours ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Sorry. I was misunderstood (again)?

By "Not discussed here with nearly the depth provided on this forum," I meant that the new reference was downright superficial compared to the coverage you and others had already provided for me (way back when). I look forward further scrutiny/context of the play.

Clearly I misunderstood as well.  :lol:   I can blame old age and I'm a little scatterbrained this week with family issue.

Archived