Vanderbilt Game Report Card

StatTiger

Auburn recorded their seventh victory of the season, but it might have come at a very high price. Kamryn Pettway's injury doesn't appear to be one he can overcome to be ready for the Bulldogs next week, which amplifies Sean White not being healthy. Thank goodness, White was able to play the second half despite not taking any reps this past week in practice. Sean's performance, despite being injured, should squash any discussion of John Franklin needing to play more often. If not for Pettway's injury, Auburn likely wins this game, 30-16. Pettway managed to set a school record by an Auburn running back, rushing for 150-yards or more during four consecutive games. His 173-yards rushing pushes his season totals to 1106 yards by we may have seen the last of him until the Alabama game. Vanderbilt managed to make this game the type of game they wanted by limiting Auburn's possessions and running game.

Auburn's first-half performance on offense without White was almost excusable, but the play of the defensive front was disappointing. Auburn applied very little pressure on a pass-offense that came into the game with a 103 rating. By halftime, Vanderbilt had 109 yards rushing, another indicator the front-4 was being dominated up front early on. Vanderbilt out gained Auburn 206 to 124 yards during the first half but was limited to 135 yards during the second half as Auburn gained 262 yards. Not having two of their starting linebackers available after Deshaun Davis was ejected, really hurt the Auburn front-7. Auburn isn't a healthy team right now, but that is part of the game all teams must face when the injuries begin to mount. Vanderbilt had a good game plan and their extra week of preparation certainly increased their opportunity to pull off a major upset.

With Pettway likely out next week, Auburn's offensive mind trust must decide on the best method of attacking a solid Georgia defense. I believe Auburn can establish the run against the Bulldogs, but it will take the passing game to loosen up the UGA defense. If Auburn enters the game with a run-first mentality, it will make defending the Auburn offense much easier. Auburn's pass-offense is good enough to cause damage if the coaching staff shows some confidence. With Auburn's struggles in applying pressure on opposing quarterbacks, Georgia will certainly be prepared to pass to set up the run. Auburn's coaching staff must send the message to the players they are not a "championship" team right now but can work to become one. We can make all the excuses in the world why Auburn won by only seven, but championship teams put away the Vanderbilt's of the world. Hopefully, the focus will be improving week to week, which will keep the Tigers in the hunt.

War Eagle!

Game #9 Statistical Evaluation (Vanderbilt Game)

Offensive Report Card
01) Avg 6-yards per play on 1st down: [4.96] fail
02) Convert at least 40% of 3rd downs:  [33.3%] fail
03) Avg at least 4.5 yards per rush:  [6.02] pass
04) Score on at least 1/3 of possessions:  [45.4] pass
05) Keep 3 and out series under 33%:  [27.3%] pass
06) Average 8.0 yards per pass attempt: [6.76 yds] fail
07) Score at least 75% inside red zone:  [66.7%] fail
08) TD red zone above 60%:  [33.3%] fail
09) Avg at least 30-yards per possession:  [35.1 yds] pass
10) 40% of offensive snaps part of scoring drives:  [78.8%] pass
11) TD / Turnover ratio above 1.6:  [2/1] pass
12) TD ratio of at least 1 every 17 snaps:  [26.0] fail
13) At least 8 impact plays:  [6] fail
14) At least 2 big plays:  [1] fail
15) Pass rating of at least 126.3:  [146.8] pass

Score: 7 of 15 (46.7%) Fail

Defensive Report Card:
01) Avg under 6-yards per play on 1st down: [5.87] pass
02) Convert below 35% of 3rd downs:  [43.7%] fail
03) Avg at least 4.0 yards per rush or less:  [3.64] pass
04) Score  1/3 of possessions or below:  [40.0%] fail
05) Keep 3 and out series above 33%:  [0.0%] fail
06) Average below 7.5 yards per pass attempt: [5.82 yds] pass
07) Score below 75% inside red zone:  [100.0%] fail
08) TD red zone below 60%:  [50.0%] pass
09) Avg under 30-yards per possession:  [34.1 yds] fail
10) Less than 40% of offensive snaps part of scoring drives:  [54.9%] fail
11) TD / Turnover ratio below 1.6:  [1/1] pass
12) TD ratio of at least 1 every 30 snaps:  [71.0] pass
13) Less than 8 impact plays:  [7] pass
14) No more than 2 big plays allowed: [0] pass
15) Pass rating below 125.0:  [115.4] pass 

Score: 9 of 15 (60.0%) Pass 

Special Teams Report Card:
1) Punt Average (Above 41.3):  [46.5] pass
2) Punt Return Defense (Below 7.8 YPR): [0.0] pass
3) Punt Return Offense (Above 9.8 YPR): [6.0] fail
4) Kick-Return Defense (Below 21.2 YPR): [8.0] pass
5) Kick-Return Offense (Above 22.3 YPR): [25.8] pass
6) PAT’s (100%): [2 of 2] pass
7) FG Pct (75% or above): [3/4] pass

Score: 6 of 7 (85.7%) Pass

* 50% is a passing score.

• Like 1

I almost have to believe that the coaching staff prepared very little for Vandy and used this week to get an early head start for UGA. Based on the fact that they didn't allow SW to practice at all, makes me believe they thought this game would be a walk in the park. It almost seemed like the defense had no clue whatsoever of Vandy's tendencies on offense, specifically the secondary. This did not look like a team who game planned very much for Vandy. That being said, we played possibly our worst half and Vandy played their best, yet we were down by a field goal. 

Next week will tell a lot.

• Like 1

You are right, Stat. Along the lines of the defense they need to quit listening to how great the media says they are and go play defense the way they did during the first half of the season.

40 minutes ago, DAG said:

I almost have to believe that the coaching staff prepared very little for Vandy and used this week to get an early head start for UGA. Based on the fact that they didn't allow SW to practice at all, makes me believe they thought this game would be a walk in the park. It almost seemed like the defense had no clue whatsoever of Vandy's tendencies on offense, specifically the secondary. This did not look like a team who game planned very much for Vandy. That being said, we played possibly our worst half and Vandy played their best, yet we were down by a field goal. 

Next week will tell a lot.

Something you also have to keep in mind is that Vandy's passing game was awful until today... not because of opposing defenses but because their timing was awful. They really pulled that together and played their best game today. It's another lesson for Gus to not assume a team can't get better than what you see on film.

• Like 3

• RunInRed pinned and featured this topic

Stat, do you keep track of holding calls?  It seems we went a number of games w/ no holding calls against us, and all of a sudden we get 4 or 5 in one game.  Makes me curious why and the conspiracy theorist in me runs wild relating it to the upcoming bama game.

They ran for 30 yards on the first two plays then only 120 for the whole game. They only scored 16 points 3 in the second half. It seemed much worse than it was because of time of possession. This next game is going to be huge after I thought we would crush it..

Thanks for the commentary/analysis Stat.....not pleasant reading but seems you hit the nail on the head. 

AU was not ready for the game and Vandy..which is not a bad team...., took the game seriously.   In my view, AU which is a young team without much of a history of success started believing the press clippings and those lofty rankings.   And looks like JF3 is not ready for prime time......still can be valuable as a spot player though his fumble did not help his situation.   

A good wake-up call AND we managed to escape with a win......  unlike the aggies who let a similar quality team handle them and take them out of the play-off picture. 

• Like 1

With the injuries we had im not terribly disappointed in what happened. I also have to call out the coaches- they keep wanting to do the hurry up offense. Thats not our team this year. Take your time let the D rest. We're good enough on O to move the ball. I think thats the major reason why our D has looked bad the past two games. We've gotten away from running the methodical offense we had in LSU, State, and Arky. 

39 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

With the injuries we had im not terribly disappointed in what happened. I also have to call out the coaches- they keep wanting to do the hurry up offense. Thats not our team this year. Take your time let the D rest. We're good enough on O to move the ball. I think thats the major reason why our D has looked bad the past two games. We've gotten away from running the methodical offense we had in LSU, State, and Arky. 

I hope CGM hasn't decided to start calling the plays again

• Like 1

Stan White was talking yesterday on the broadcast about the 1993 undefeated team going to Nashville and only beating the Commodores 14-10. Obviously, Auburn played poorly yesterday but it happens  sometimes even to good teams. I say our players and coaches use this as a teaching moment and continue their march toward the prize that is now within their reach. WDE!

I've thought that the HUNH has been an asset to our O.  As long as we aren't going 3 and out, then the D should get plenty of rest.  I thought the D's inability to get off the field on third down was our D's undoing.

8 hours ago, au701948 said:

I hope CGM hasn't decided to start calling the plays again

This was my first thought after watching the game. There were a lot of the same old stuff and he seemed more out front when the camera was on the sideline. 

Most disappointing thing to me was the play of the defensive line. They were getting physically whipped for much of the game. I have got to believe it was lack of effort, and not talent. Even though I thought Vandy was getting away with quite a bit of holding, that is no excuse.

I just can't believe that after a full week to game plan with JF3 that our offense looked that meh. And JF3 has GOT to stop running with the ball held out like he does. It's a terrible habit.

And is it just me or did JF3 look like he could be tackled one-handed like he only weighed 100lbs soaking wet? lol

36 minutes ago, AUTigers001 said:

Vanderbilt is better than a lot of people think.  I knew the line was way too high.  While they aren't giant killers, they play pretty tough.  all in all, it was a good win for us.

Agree.....saw some good portions of their games against UF, USCe and Georgia.....and while they did not match in talent, V has a hard nosed team on both sides of the ball. 

5 hours ago, Linayus said:

I just can't believe that after a full week to game plan with JF3 that our offense looked that meh. And JF3 has GOT to stop running with the ball held out like he does. It's a terrible habit.

And is it just me or did JF3 look like he could be tackled one-handed like he only weighed 100lbs soaking wet? lol

Our offense only looked meh with John because, unlike Sean, when 3rd down came, his passing options were limited. On top of that... they were able to stack the the line which limited our back's options. You can only do so much with a QB who's not a strong short/mid range passer.

He does need to learn to cradle the ball better when he runs. It looks like that hasn't improved much from his juco days.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Our offense only looked meh with John because, unlike Sean, when 3rd down came, his passing options were limited. On top of that... they were able to stack the the line which limited our back's options. You can only do so much with a QB who's not a strong short/mid range passer.

I actually believed that if we wanted/needed Sean to sit out this week, Jeremy would have been the better option to keep more of our offensive package in. Especially if John is that inaccurate. The risk vs reward with John running the offense appears to be too great of a risk at this point. Give him a few plays here and there for change of pace but that's it.

27 minutes ago, Linayus said:

I actually believed that if we wanted/needed Sean to sit out this week, Jeremy would have been the better option to keep more of our offensive package in. Especially if John is that inaccurate. The risk vs reward with John running the offense appears to be too great of a risk at this point. Give him a few plays here and there for change of pace but that's it.

Actually, this week, John may be the better bet.  Georgia hasn't had to deal much with running QBs. Kelly is really the only one, and had 53 yards on 4 carries against them.

Fortunately, per Gus, Sean is good to go, so we don't have to worry about that.

3 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Actually, this week, John may be the better bet.  Georgia hasn't had to deal much with running QBs. Kelly is really the only one, and had 53 yards on 4 carries against them.

Fortunately, per Gus, Sean is good to go, so we don't have to worry about that.

I meant last week versus Vandy. lol Going to be praying hard that our guys stay healthy the rest of the season (and for the bowl game(s))! We are a well oiled machine with Sean and Pettway right now. :)

On 11/8/2016 at 11:55 AM, Linayus said:

I think its hard to say that when he has only been allowed to throw very few times, 4 times in that first half against Vandy.  He was 2 for 4, one was dropped.  It comes across to me much more like there isn't much trust from the coaching staff or they didn't think they needed to throw that much, and we didn't on those drives.  If not for the fumble AU is up 14-3 the way the O was moving just running the ball.  No way JJ needs to be put back out there.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2016 at 11:55 AM, Linayus said:

Have you considered the fact that Jeremy hasn't run with the ones for well over a month now? It would be like starting fresh... a very scary proposition. 

Honestly, if we can just get to second and short with John in, and then have him go deep, the D would have to loosen up the box and then we can run all over them.