Georgia Game Report Card

StatTiger

During my weekly prediction feature, I mentioned this would be the game to see how much the coaching staff had grown. With the injuries mounting, the coaches would have to be creative in preparing for Georgia. The defensive coaches delivered despite battling through injuries. The same cannot be said about the offensive coaches as this was the worst offensive performance since 2012. There was nothing remotely close to halftime adjustments as the offense managed only 32 yards on 22 snaps. The offense was so inept; Auburn failed to register a single first down during the entire second-half. The defense kept Auburn in the game the entire way through, but they could not defend their own offense from giving up a pick-six, the difference in the game.

Coach Gus Malzahn will focus the attention on the injured players as the excuse for the loss, but there is enough available talent sufficient enough to score 10-14 offensive points. Sean White is indeed playing hurt, but the coaches still failed in having anything remotely close to being a No. 2 quarterback. The one pass attempt during Franklin's 46 snaps during blowout victories have come back to haunt the Auburn offense the last two games. When Georgia missed a 49-yard field goal, it was a golden opportunity to insert John Franklin III. During Auburn's subsequent offensive possession, Auburn ran the ball on first and second down, so it wasn't as if White was in the game to throw the football. My fear with the offensive brain trust was the high probability of a conservative game plan without Kamryn Pettway available. This plan might have worked, playing a healthy JF3 in a low scoring affair.

The plan appeared to be not to lose the game on offense, while Georgia was throwing deep early on during the contest. The conservative game plan and failure to adjust the offense as the game wore on, played into the hands of a Georgia team, hoping to make it a low-scoring contest. Gus Malzahn and Rhett Lashlee failed to give the offense an opportunity to be successful. Yes, there were a few drops that hurt the offense, but the overall game plan resulted in Auburn attempting to throw 11 times on third down, compared to just six attempts on first down. Gary Danielson complemented Kirby Smart on how well his defense was prepared for the challenge. It isn't difficult to defend an offense that runs on first down 75 percent of the time and fails to prepare for blitzes on third down. Auburn was predictable and conservative on offense, placing this loss squarely on the shoulders of Gus Malzahn.

War Eagle!

Game #10 Statistical Evaluation (Georgia Game)

Offensive Report Card
01) Avg 6-yards per play on 1st down: [4.00] fail (75% run before last drive)
02) Convert at least 40% of 3rd downs:  [16.7%] fail
03) Avg at least 4.5 yards per rush:  [4.43] fail
04) Score on at least 1/3 of possessions:  [8.3%] fail
05) Keep 3 and out series under 33%:  [58.3%] fail
06) Average 8.0 yards per pass attempt: [1.68 yds] fail
07) Score at least 75% inside red zone:  [100.0%] pass
08) TD red zone above 60%:  [100.00%] pass
09) Avg at least 30-yards per possession:  [16.7 yds] fail
10) 40% of offensive snaps part of scoring drives:  [27.8%] fail
11) TD / Turnover ratio above 1.6:  [1/1] fail
12) TD ratio of at least 1 every 17 snaps:  [54.0] fail
13) At least 8 impact plays:  [2] fail
14) At least 2 big plays:  [0] fail
15) Pass rating of at least 126.3:  [41.4] fail

* Minus 1 point for poor game plan and adjustments

Score: 1 of 15 (6.7%) Fail

Defensive Report Card:
01) Avg under 6-yards per play on 1st down: [4.12] pass
02) Convert below 35% of 3rd downs:  [41.2%] fail
03) Avg at least 4.0 yards per rush or less:  [3.14] pass
04) Score  1/3 of possessions or below:  [18.2%] pass
05) Keep 3 and out series above 33%:  [27.3%] fail
06) Average below 7.5 yards per pass attempt: [6.30 yds] pass
07) Score below 75% inside red zone:  [100.0%] fail
08) TD red zone below 60%:  [0.0%] pass
09) Avg under 30-yards per possession:  [31.2 yds] fail
10) Less than 40% of offensive snaps part of scoring drives:  [32.9%] pass
11) TD / Turnover ratio below 1.6:  [0 /1] pass
12) TD ratio of at least 1 every 30 snaps:  [76.0] pass
13) Less than 8 impact plays:  [6] pass
14) No more than 2 big plays allowed: [1] pass
15) Pass rating below 125.0:  [107.5] pass

*Bonus point for allowing only 6 points

Score: 12 of 15 (80.0%) Pass

Special Teams Report Card:
1) Punt Average (Above 41.3):  [44.1] pass
2) Punt Return Defense (Below 7.8 YPR): [20.0] fail
3) Punt Return Offense (Above 9.8 YPR): [5.0] fail
4) Kick-Return Defense (Below 21.2 YPR): [0.0] pass
5) Kick-Return Offense (Above 22.3 YPR): [14.0] fail
6) PAT’s (100%): [1 of 1] pass
7) FG Pct (75% or above): [N/A]  

Score: 3 of 6 (50.0%) Pass

* 50% is a passing score.

• Like 3

freakin pathetic offense. Thought they were 0/15. Could have been if you counted the pick 6 as -1 point. Net 0 points scored, under 2 yards an attempt. Can't beat anyone like that. Team needs pettway for bama!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aufan57 said:

Totally embarrassing offense. Scott Loeffler Bad.

I laughed. :laugh:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, hutchids said:

freakin pathetic offense. Thought they were 0/15. Could have been if you counted the pick 6 as -1 point. Net 0 points scored, under 2 yards an attempt. Can't beat anyone like that. Team needs pettway for bama!

We have no chance to beat Bama if we had Franco Harris, much less Pettway. They are a very well coached, and disciplined team. We will lucky if we don't get run out of the stadium. Our defense may be the only hope to prevent that.

• Like 1

What baffles me is why we lay a stinker on bad Georgia teams. Every time it seems lately ..

Just now, Eagle-1 said:

We have no chance to beat Bama if we had Franco Harris, much less Pettway. They are a very well coached, and disciplined team. We will lucky if we don't get run out of the stadium. Our defense may be the only hope to prevent that.

defense will need to be lights out, no turnovers, and one non-offensive score to have a chance to win. Some offense will need to be there too. Unless Franklin or Stove break long runs, which is doubtful, we'll need Pettway to get something out of the offense. Passing and KJ I don't have faith in to do it.

7 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

Losing to uga again should put Gus on the Hot Seat next year no doubt.

wde

After that performance it should be this year. We will have started the season 1-2 and we will end it 1-2. 

• Like 1

i just believe these young men deserve an apology from Gus and Rhett for the plan they put together and both need to donate there pay check this week to some charity because they did not earn it.

The only way you beat bama is with an accurate QB who can throw into tight spaces of corse it helps if you can catch those passes too. You also have to have a good defense.. We have one of the two right now. Maybe JF3 can throw who knows because he hasn't been given the chance..Giving him that chance to see what he can do against bama would be a mistake.. SW has to be 100% and have the game of his life.. It would take a perfect storm. 

Stat, I so agree with your comments in the OP about using JF3 at some point in the game in fact I just posted something similar in the post game thread. JF3 couldn't have thrown any worse than SW was able to do tonight (for whatever reason) and he also brings his running game. At least try, instead of doing the same thing over and over again in the 2nd half,  .

31 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

The only way you beat bama is with an accurate QB who can throw into tight spaces of corse it helps if you can catch those passes too. You also have to have a good defense.. We have one of the two right now. Maybe JF3 can throw who knows because he hasn't been given the chance..Giving him that chance to see what he can do against bama would be a mistake.. SW has to be 100% and have the game of his life.. It would take a perfect storm. 

There is no reason to trot SW out there if he is too hurt to play. 

The team may give up after this loss and its Gus's fault, every time I think I've seen the worst offensive performance ever he manages a greater stinker! It's been four years of mediocre teams, it's time for a shake up.

I have never seen two coaches work so hard to keep their team out of championships.  They should apologize to these players, stat.  

White is done for the season, reading his mechanics and he is doing some crazy stuff to try to zip the ball.  Let him heal, we'll need him next year!

1 minute ago, musicitytiger said:

I have never seen two coaches work so hard to keep their team out of championships.  They should apologize to these players, stat.  

White is done for the season, reading his mechanics and he is doing some crazy stuff to try to zip the ball.  Let him heal, we'll need him next year!

Feast or famine with this coaching staff. This is more depressing than any loss we've had in the last couple of years, maybe since FSU in Pasadena. I said before the game that if Auburn showed up, we would win by a couple of scores. The defense showed up. The offense took a vacation for a week while getting ready for this one.

9 minutes ago, gctiger said:

In four attempts against Georgia, Gus has one win as a head coach, barely.  Not a flame, but merely a fact.  

@gctiger, and 1 of 4 is better odds than a miracle.

We need out right wins against Georgia.

Edited by Never2Yield