aucanucktiger

2018 4* QB Joey Gatewood (Auburn 12/5/15)

548 posts in this topic

6'3", 206 out of Jacksonville. He told 247 Sports and Fanbuzz that he will choose between Florida State and Auburn at "some point this season". Also "they're exactly even. Auburn, I'm big on Auburn. I always have been. I'm also big on FSU". Knowing Gus' success getting early commitments that stick from highly rated QBs (Burns, White) I thought this worthy of a thread. Guess no stars yet for 2018 guys but he's currently rated by some as the top QB in the nation. He visits the Plains September 26 for the Miss.State game and Nov. 28 for Bama.

Update: 12/05/15 - Joey commits to AU!

"It's the place I really thought I could see myself at in the future," Gatewood said. "It's a great program run by great people and great coaches. It's great to be a Tiger."

http://auburn.247sports.com/Bolt/Elite-QB-Gatewood-commits-to-Auburn-41767930

4_3742968.jpg

Joey Gatewood, Dual-Threat QB
Jacksonville, FL (Bartram Trail)
Ht: 6'3 | Wt: 226 | 40: 4.66

• Class of 2018
  • Recruiter: Lashlee

Offers: Auburn, Cincinnati, Clemson, Florida, Florida Atlantic, Florida State, Georgia Southern, Georgia Tech, Louisville, LSU, Miami (Fl.), Michigan, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, Ohio State, Old Dominion, Ole Miss, Oregon State, Rutgers, South Carolina, Temple, Tennessee, UCF, UCLA, USF, Utah, Virginia Tech and West Virginia, among others.

247Sports: 4* (No. 51 Overall, No. 2 Dual-Threat QB)
ESPN: NR
Rivals: NR
Scout: 4*

Hudl Highlights

CVgx4dGWUAAolyG.jpg

CVgx4aRWcAEQo_g.jpg

CVgx4aAXAAA4-N1.jpg

CVgx4b5WEAEI5-x.jpg

Edited by ellitor

6'3", 206 out of Jacksonville. He told 247 Sports and Fanbuzz that he will choose between Florida State and Auburn at "some point this season". Also "they're exactly even. Auburn, I'm big on Auburn. I always have been. I'm also big on FSU". Knowing Gus' success getting early commitments that stick from highly rated QBs (Burns, White) I thought this worthy of a thread. Guess no stars yet for 2018 guys but he's currently rated by some as the top QB in the nation. He visits the Plains September 26 for the Miss.State game and Nov. 28 for Bama.

If his interview is any indication, he's ALL Auburn...

His highlights look pretty dang good. He stands tall in the pocket and is very good at keeping his eyes downfield, but also seems to be able to feel the pressure around him. When he can set his feet and throw, his mechanics look pretty good to me, but when he starts moving out of the pocket, his throwing motion isn't as fundamentally sound.

Running wise it's kind of the same story. He looks like he used to be a running back, he keeps the ball high and tight and clearly puts an emphasis on protecting the football. One criticism I would give is that it looked like he wasn't incredibly fast, so I'd like to see him work on his straight line speed so that he can kick it into another gear and outrun some folks.

All in all, he'd be a huge pickup. A big time QB like this can help build the class around him, and that is a big BIG plus.

I live right around the corner from his school. I plan to see couple games mainly cause I love to go to HS football games, but will look to watch him specifically in case he is in AU future!

2018?!? is this serious?!?

Not really worth talking about right now considering that Malzahn and company very possibly won't even be here after next season, let alone when this kid is ready to sign a NLI.

2018?!? is this serious?!?

Not really worth talking about right now considering that Malzahn and company very possibly won't even be here after next season, let alone when this kid is ready to sign a NLI.

well we will be looking forward to that Greg Focker.

JG has much higher ceiling than WB or LM IMO, but def 3 good ones on deck. Need offensive improvement on the field next year to retain.

HUGE!

Thrilled about this pick up. Welcome home, Joey

Me too. Long way to go till he can sign, but great pickup.

HUGE!

Thrilled about this pick up. Welcome home, Joey

Me too. Long way to go till he can sign, but great pickup.

Yep.

Where's the ole early signing period when you need it??

even if there was one, we would still need to wait two years lol.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor