2018 4* QB Joey Gatewood (Auburn 12/5/15)

RunInRed

Visited AU this week ...

image.jpg

Joey Gatewood, Dual-Threat QB

Jacksonville, FL (Bartram Trail)

Ht: 6'3 | Wt: 206 | 40: 4.66

247Sports: NR

ESPN: NR

Rivals: NR

Offers: Auburn. Cincinnati, Clemson, Florida, Florida Atlantic, Florida State, Georgia Southern, Georgia Tech, Louisville, LSU, Miami (Fl.), Michigan, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, Ohio State, Old Dominion, Ole Miss, Oregon State, Rutgers, South Carolina, South Florida, Temple, Tennessee, UCF, UCLA, Utah, Virginia Tech and West Virginia, among others.

Hudl Highlights

Class of 2018? Dang! This kid is a grown man already.

FSU leads

Yeah, but I would think the fact that Gus coached Cam would loom extremely large for this kid. I am not trying to claim that he will be the next Cam. But, looking at his film, I wouldn't be shocked if he aspires to be. It's a better comparison than him to Jameis.

FSU leads

Yeah, but I would think the fact that Gus coached Cam would loom extremely large for this kid. I am not trying to claim that he will be the next Cam. But, looking at his film, I wouldn't be shocked if he aspires to be. It's a better comparison than him to Jameis.

Maybe...but I'm still wrestling with the question of : does the coach make the player....or does the player make the coach. ....and I'm leaning toward the latter possibility.

FSU leads

FSU coached Winston. Basically the same. He said he wants to visit AU and Clemson. Kid is a monster. Already has touch on his passes. Kid is huge for his age.

I actually thought he looked like Winston on the field.

FSU leads

Maybe...but I'm still wrestling with the question of : does the coach make the player....or does the player make the coach. ....and I'm leaning toward the latter possibility.

I guess I think they make each other. The coach needs good players, but the players need good coaches; and good coaches make good players better, while good players make good coaches better.

FSU leads

I guess I think they make each other. The coach needs good players, but the players need good coaches; and good coaches make good players better, while good players make good coaches better.

Ah yes....stuck your neck out on that one didn't you.... :-\ But I agree....which probably means that all of these top QBs are probably going to shine wherever they decide to play......except Va Tech that is. I think that Lefty can diminish any good QB's talent....JMO

FSU leads

Ah yes....stuck your neck out on that one didn't you.... :-\ But I agree....which probably means that all of these top QBs are probably going to shine wherever they decide to play......except Va Tech that is. I think that Lefty can diminish any good QB's talent....JMO

Well, there are lots of folks, including some on this board, who think that players do it all themselves (they're just great athletes with great measurables and such).

I think coaching is teaching, and that teachers learn from their students as well as the other way around.

The other point of view is that students can 'learn the material' on their own just as well as if they have a great teacher. Don't think lots of folks don't believe that.

FSU leads

Both are equally important. Yes you need the Jimmy's & Joes but that will only get you so far if the coach is bad.

Free read. Link

AUBURN, Ala. | Joey Gatewood came into his first visit to Auburn with Florida State firmly in the lead. The 2018 quarterback from Bartram Trail in Jacksonville, Fla., left with the race much tighter.

"I loved it," Gatewood said. "It was definitely an adventure because I stayed the night. It was fun. They treated me real good and I will definitely come back. "They're really close to FSU now. FSU ain't so far ahead no more. They're like right there with them." It wasn't that long ago that Auburn was his leader and with two and half years left before he signs, Gatewood's recruitment could still swing in a lot of different directions. "When I first started getting recruited, Auburn was the No. 1 choice," Gatewood said. "Then it changed to FSU and now they're right there with them now that I finally took the visit. They said I would love it and I believed them and I did love it." Gatewood, 6-foot-3 and 216 pounds, spent a lot of time with head coach Gus Malzahn and offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee during the visit. "They really broke down the offense, really showed me what they do, and I think that's the perfect fit for me," Gatewood said. "That was huge, something that factors real big. "(Lashlee) is a funny dude and the same way with Coach Malzahn. The coaches here are great." Of course, former Auburn quarterbacks Cam Newton and Nick Marshall were part of the discussion. "I'm in love with Cam," Gatewood said. "They talked about Cam and Nick and how they were both really good dual-threats and their records and all that." Gatewood plans to return to Auburn for a game this fall. "They told me it's crazy, it's hyped, the Tiger Walk and all that," Gatewood said. He has close to 30 offers including Auburn, Florida, Florida State, Miami, Clemson, LSU, Michigan, Ohio State, Tennessee and UCLA. Gatewood shared quarterback duties as a freshman throwing for 362 and three touchdowns and rushing for 659 yards and six touchdowns.

Free read. Link

AUBURN, Ala. | Joey Gatewood came into his first visit to Auburn with Florida State firmly in the lead. The 2018 quarterback from Bartram Trail in Jacksonville, Fla., left with the race much tighter.

"I loved it," Gatewood said. "It was definitely an adventure because I stayed the night. It was fun. They treated me real good and I will definitely come back. "They're really close to FSU now. FSU ain't so far ahead no more. They're like right there with them." It wasn't that long ago that Auburn was his leader and with two and half years left before he signs, Gatewood's recruitment could still swing in a lot of different directions. "When I first started getting recruited, Auburn was the No. 1 choice," Gatewood said. "Then it changed to FSU and now they're right there with them now that I finally took the visit. They said I would love it and I believed them and I did love it." Gatewood, 6-foot-3 and 216 pounds, spent a lot of time with head coach Gus Malzahn and offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee during the visit. "They really broke down the offense, really showed me what they do, and I think that's the perfect fit for me," Gatewood said. "That was huge, something that factors real big. "(Lashlee) is a funny dude and the same way with Coach Malzahn. The coaches here are great." Of course, former Auburn quarterbacks Cam Newton and Nick Marshall were part of the discussion. "I'm in love with Cam," Gatewood said. "They talked about Cam and Nick and how they were both really good dual-threats and their records and all that." Gatewood plans to return to Auburn for a game this fall. "They told me it's crazy, it's hyped, the Tiger Walk and all that," Gatewood said. He has close to 30 offers including Auburn, Florida, Florida State, Miami, Clemson, LSU, Michigan, Ohio State, Tennessee and UCLA. Gatewood shared quarterback duties as a freshman throwing for 362 and three touchdowns and rushing for 659 yards and six touchdowns.

Sounds promising.

Keith N on another interview with Gatewood:

Apparently, touted 2018 quarterback Joey Gatewood of Jacksonville (Fla.) Bartram Trail wasn't kidding when he said Monday that Auburn was "right there with" FSU following last weekend's visit with the Tigers.

On Thursday, he told the Orlando Sentinel he was close to giving the Seminoles a verbal before that trip.

"I was going to commit (Thursday)," Gatewood told the Sentinel at the Jimbo Fisher Football Camp. "That's what I planned, to commit at the camp. But I got here after I visited Auburn, so I didn't commit."

What impressed him most about Auburn?

"The way they treated me ... they treated me just as good as they do here," Gatewood told the Sentinel. "I get along good with everyone there. I get along with them here. It's going to be close, that's all I can say. It's going to be really, really close."

Gatewood told the paper a summer decision remains possible.

• 2 months later...

6'3", 206 out of Jacksonville. He told 247 Sports and Fanbuzz that he will choose between Florida State and Auburn at "some point this season". Also "they're exactly even. Auburn, I'm big on Auburn. I always have been. I'm also big on FSU". Knowing Gus' success getting early commitments that stick from highly rated QBs (Burns, White) I thought this worthy of a thread. Guess no stars yet for 2018 guys but he's currently rated by some as the top QB in the nation. He visits the Plains September 26 for the Miss.State game and Nov. 28 for Bama.

Update: 12/05/15 - Joey commits to AU!

"It's the place I really thought I could see myself at in the future," Gatewood said. "It's a great program run by great people and great coaches. It's great to be a Tiger."

http://auburn.247sports.com/Bolt/Elite-QB-Gatewood-commits-to-Auburn-41767930

4_3742968.jpg

Joey Gatewood, Dual-Threat QB
Jacksonville, FL (Bartram Trail)
Ht: 6'3 | Wt: 226 | 40: 4.66

• Class of 2018
  • Recruiter: Lashlee

Offers: Auburn, Cincinnati, Clemson, Florida, Florida Atlantic, Florida State, Georgia Southern, Georgia Tech, Louisville, LSU, Miami (Fl.), Michigan, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, Ohio State, Old Dominion, Ole Miss, Oregon State, Rutgers, South Carolina, Temple, Tennessee, UCF, UCLA, USF, Utah, Virginia Tech and West Virginia, among others.

247Sports: 4* (No. 51 Overall, No. 2 Dual-Threat QB)
ESPN: NR
Rivals: NR
Scout: 4*

Hudl Highlights

CVgx4dGWUAAolyG.jpg

CVgx4aRWcAEQo_g.jpg

CVgx4aAXAAA4-N1.jpg

CVgx4b5WEAEI5-x.jpg

Edited by ellitor

6'3", 206 out of Jacksonville. He told 247 Sports and Fanbuzz that he will choose between Florida State and Auburn at "some point this season". Also "they're exactly even. Auburn, I'm big on Auburn. I always have been. I'm also big on FSU". Knowing Gus' success getting early commitments that stick from highly rated QBs (Burns, White) I thought this worthy of a thread. Guess no stars yet for 2018 guys but he's currently rated by some as the top QB in the nation. He visits the Plains September 26 for the Miss.State game and Nov. 28 for Bama.

If his interview is any indication, he's ALL Auburn...

His highlights look pretty dang good. He stands tall in the pocket and is very good at keeping his eyes downfield, but also seems to be able to feel the pressure around him. When he can set his feet and throw, his mechanics look pretty good to me, but when he starts moving out of the pocket, his throwing motion isn't as fundamentally sound.

Running wise it's kind of the same story. He looks like he used to be a running back, he keeps the ball high and tight and clearly puts an emphasis on protecting the football. One criticism I would give is that it looked like he wasn't incredibly fast, so I'd like to see him work on his straight line speed so that he can kick it into another gear and outrun some folks.

All in all, he'd be a huge pickup. A big time QB like this can help build the class around him, and that is a big BIG plus.

I live right around the corner from his school. I plan to see couple games mainly cause I love to go to HS football games, but will look to watch him specifically in case he is in AU future!

• 2 months later...