2018 4* QB Joey Gatewood (Auburn 12/5/15)

RunInRed

Do ppl feel that he is not 100% or just saying he is not a lock bc he hasn't signed, and it's a year away?

i posted this earlier in LN thread, did t know how to delete. 

Edited by tigerfangs

16 minutes ago, tigerfangs said:

Do ppl feel that he is not 100% or just saying he is not a lock bc he hasn't signed, and it's a year away?

i posted this earlier in LN thread, did t know how to delete. 

There is a lot of pressure from FSU and LSU. He loves Lashlee though. 

I am as pessimistic as it gets when it comes to QB recruiting but man he really seems to love him some AU. He also does not seem like remotely a fit in a Jimbo offense. Lsu is after him? did not know that.

14 hours ago, AUBwins said:

@bigbird would rather LN or JG if you had a choice? Let's say LSU gets the other one. 

I'm selfish. I'd take both. Seriously, both have pros and cons. Tough choice

• Like 1

The injuries are a concern with LN.

Gatewood is a year behind obviously. He is a bit taller IIRC.

Both are very raw. Hopefully JG gets all the snaps this next year. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, AuburnArch13 said:

Will that game be televised?

No. I think it's more of a combine. At least it was in previous years.

LOOOOVE he is wearing his Auburn gear to this!! WOOOOO! LETS GO! #WDE

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Auburn-QB-commit-Joey-Gatewood-shocked-by-offensive-coordinator--50486525

Gatewood is "shocked."

About 45 minutes before word began to spread across Twitter on Wednesday night that Auburn offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Rhett Lashlee was leaving for Connecticut, Lashlee broke the news to 2018 Tigers quarterback commit Joey Gatewood of Jacksonville (Fla.) Bartram Trail during a short phone call.

"It's heartbreaking to be honest," Gatewood told AuburnUndercover.com. "He was just telling me a bunch of things. I don't want to get into it."

Gatewood, who committed to Auburn in December of 2015, has considered Lashlee to be a father figure in his life. And, he said Lashlee's presence at Auburn was one of the main reasons he committed to the Tigers.

"Obiviously, I was real close with him," Gatewood said. "He played a huge role in my commitment. I believe in him. It really sucks. I don't know. It really does suck. I don't really have any words for it."

As for his commitment status, Gatewood, the No. 3 dual-threat quarterback in the 247Sports Composite for 2018, said he was still wrapping his arms around Wednesday's development.

“I don’t know," Gatewood said. "We'll see."

Just, damn 

Edited by ellitor

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

this is def the biggest downside to losing rhett. but no chance rhett would of stuck around till he signed anyways. Might as well get it out of the way and hope we can convince joey to stay with us.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Would we have been just as shocked when the whole staff is fired after next year? If he was coming for Rhett, he was ever going to be here anyway. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

this is def the biggest downside to losing rhett. but no chance rhett would of stuck around till he signed anyways. Might as well get it out of the way and hope we can convince joey to stay with us.

Rhett was a pretty good recruiter with Stidham too and just in general. Recruiting will probably take a bigger hit.

Glad we already got Stidham on board. 

Edited by aujeff11

Just now, aujeff11 said:

Rhett was a pretty good recruit with Stidham too and just in general. Recruiting will probably take a bigger hit.

Glad we already got Stidham on board. 

he was a good recruiter underrated. Was lead recruiter for roc thomas and others I cannot think of off the top of my head but his best qb recruit WAS joey and he got him 2 years before he could even sign. He was not a good recruiter for the position we need him most to recruit well in. I have mixed feelings on this. 

1 minute ago, jared52 said:

Would we have been just as shocked when the whole staff is fired after next year? If he was coming for Rhett, he was ever going to be here anyway. 

Yes. He liked the Cam magic. Probably the only reason why he liked Auburn. Without Gus and Cam in 2010, I'm sure we would be out the picture anyways.

43 minutes ago, bigbird said:

That's why you don't commit to coaches. You commit to the school.

If he honestly thought CRL would be here by the time he signs he's crazy...

Just now, ClaytonAU said:

If he honestly thought CRL would be here by the time he signs he's crazy...

Exactly. Most coaches are at place 3-5 years. He's an '18 recruit that committed in '15.

• Like 1

The big question is, what is Rhett going to say to him.  If this kid ends up being the phenom that people hope he will be (which I can't say I'm confident of), how can Rhett in good conscience not tell him he'd be better off sticking to his commitment to an SEC team than languishing at UConn, where he won't get near the respect?

Edited by lionheartkc
  • Like 1