2018 4* QB Joey Gatewood (Auburn 12/5/15)

RunInRed

On 1/13/2017 at 8:26 AM, McLoofus said:

Think Lawson, Adams, Brown and Davidson. (Daniel excused himself from the proceedings before we could find out who he was.)

As for Cowart, he came in as a DE and is being transitioned inside. If his light still hasn't come on by the time he leaves Auburn, then you'll have a case. 

EDIT: The point about Gatewood remains true, though. He was a legitimately big get when we got him as a very young QB. Things haven't progressed as expected since and now there are doubts if he's as good as we thought he would be at this point in his career. The recruiting evaluations don't seem to have changed to reflect these things. 

So do we pass on Gatewood and put our time & energy in for 2019 Nix?  

24 minutes ago, aufootball1 said:

We try for both.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, aufootball1 said:

Too early to say what we do re: Gatewood.  If he transfers to a school where he can start full time, he may light it up.  He may also bail because of Lashlee leaving. Once we solidify the new OC, we'll know a lot more about where he is.

• Like 2

I agree Lionheartkc, it is way too early to be worrying about Gatewood. If we get the right OC the Gatewood issue will take care of itself. I guess  the thing we all are concerned with, is will Gus allow the new OC enough autonomy to develop a balanced offense?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

I agree Lionheartkc, it is way too early to be worrying about Gatewood. If we get the right OC the Gatewood issue will take care of itself. I guess  the thing we all are concerned with, is will Gus allow the new OC enough autonomy to develop a balanced offense?

Based on everything that is being said about the OC search... that is the plan. We'll have to wait and see if it's true or talking points. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aufootball1 said:

Whoaaaa... I am definitely not saying Gatewood can't play. It's just that, as happens bizarrely frequently, he was deemed a can't-miss QB of the future by AU fans. Rational folks have since opined that he, like most high school athletes going into their senior season, needs some work. Don't be worried about Gatewood. Just hope that we keep recruiting good QBs. 

TL;DR  What ellitor said.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2017 at 11:54 AM, lionheartkc said:

Based on everything that is being said about the OC search... that is the plan. We'll have to wait and see if it's true or talking points. 

So on a side note: to get Gatewood, which OC do you see coming in and taking Gatewood? 

2 minutes ago, aufootball1 said:

So on a side note: to get Gatewood, which OC do you see coming in and taking Gatewood? 

No clue... All I know about the kid is that he loved Rhett. Whether that love translated into loving Auburn or not has never been spoken about, nor have the attributes Rhett brought to the table really been mentioned.  I would like to think that any OC could woo him, since he's already been dedicated to Auburn for so long, as long as they run an O that can utilize his strengths. I can't imagine Auburn hiring someone who wouldn't.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Apparently Gus visited Joey, yesterday. I'd be interested in hearing Joey's thoughts now.

I would bet it helped but he still wants to see and talk to our next OC. Luckily he is next year so not having that OC yet probably won't hurt us at this time.

17 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Apparently Gus visited Joey, yesterday. I'd be interested in hearing Joey's thoughts now.

Appreciated Gus coming by to say hello but still in wait mode on the new OC.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Appreciated Gus coming by to say hello but still in wait mode on the new OC.

Which tells us Gus hasn't found his candidate or isn't worried enough about Joey to tip his hand.

17 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Which tells us Gus hasn't found his candidate or isn't worried enough about Joey to tip his hand.

Gus told Joey the OC is supposed to call Joey as soon as they hire him.

Joey is a priority to Gus.

Edited by ellitor

Just now, ellitor said:

Gus told Joey the OC is supposed to call Joey as soon as they hire him.

Joey is a priority to Gus.

Don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying Gus doesn't care about Joey... I just imagine if he knows his guy and isn't using him for leverage, then he knows that he still has plenty of time with Joey.  If Joey were class of 2017, I have no doubt Gus would have laid all of his cards on the table.

7 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying Gus doesn't care about Joey... I just imagine if he knows his guy and isn't using him for leverage, then he knows that he still has plenty of time with Joey.  If Joey were class of 2017, I have no doubt Gus would have laid all of his cards on the table.

I'm lost. What's the point of having a guy & not making an announcement when you get em? I don't see leverage angle at all...Not talking about Joey. Just the whole sitch in general.

Edited by ellitor

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I'm lost. What's the point of having a guy & not making an announcement when you get em? I don't see leverage angle at all...Not talking about Joey. Just the whole sitch in general.

There are a lot of factors at play. You may be timing the announcement for specific benefit.  You may have promised to let him talk to his current staff and team first. You may have a verbal agreement but no signature yet. The business aspects of college football are far more complicated than shake hands a hold a press conference.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

There are a lot of factors at play. You may be timing the announcement for specific benefit.  You may have promised to let him talk to his current staff and team first. You may have a verbal agreement but no signature yet. The business aspects of college football are far more complicated than shake hands a hold a press conference.

And Usually not a contract thing though. Those are often not done before announcements are made in college Athletics.

Just now, ellitor said:

And Usually not a contract thing though. Those are often not done before announcements are made in college Athletics.

Truth... though I bet there is some sort of signature... especially when you are pulling someone away from another team. Gotta have something legally binding.

• Like 1

Oregon and Georgia offered today. Still no Bama or USC offer but I'm sure they will come. 

He is "my boy" and I'm taking over the bagman duties. 

10 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Truth... though I bet there is some sort of signature... especially when you are pulling someone away from another team. Gotta have something legally binding.

Nah, you don't need to sign anything before letting info leak about making an announcement. 

Signed

Mal Moore and Rich Rodriguez 

Edited by AUpreacherman22

13 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

No decision has been made on an OC yet. As of right now, there are no cards to lay on the table.