2018 4* QB Joey Gatewood (Auburn 12/5/15)

RunInRed

Will Gatewood finally play QB his senior year in high school, or will he continue to be a utility player? Anybody know?

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

Will Gatewood finally play QB his senior year in high school, or will he continue to be a utility player? Anybody know?

If he transfers he will. The QB who had the most snaps on his team is an upcoming Sr also.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

If he transfers he will. The QB who had the most snaps on his team is an upcoming Sr also.

I find that extremely troubling. HS coaches need to win too and QB is the most important position on the field. If Gatewood can't win the starting QB job in high school, how the devil would he help a P-5 college program?

• Like 9

Just now, Mikey said:

I find that extremely troubling. HS coaches need to win too and QB is the most important position on the field. If Gatewood can't win the starting QB job in high school, how the devil would he help a P-5 college program?

Well seeing as he has like 100 offers, I don't think anyone is too worried about it.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I'm not the HC but the HC feels their best chance to win is playing both at the same time. Joey is the only one good enough to play other positions like RB & WR which he does a lot when he is not QB.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Well seeing as he has like 100 offers, I don't think anyone is too worried about it.

Someone is worried about it. That would be me. I've seen a lot of QB's swapped to other positions when they get to college. I've never seen a player from some other position become a successful college QB. Gatewood is currently a TE/Slot WR that take a few QB snaps when is team is way ahead or way behind. Something very fishy about that.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I'm not the HC but the HC feels their best chance to win is playing both at the same time. Joey is the only one good enough to play other positions like RB & WR which he does a lot when he is not QB.

I'm thinking if he was a truly super QB their best chance to win would be with him taking snaps.

• Like 5

Just now, Mikey said:

Someone is worried about it. That would be me. I've seen a lot of QB's swapped to other positions when they get to college. I've never seen a player from some other position become a successful college QB. Gatewood is currently a TE/Slot WR that take a few QB snaps when is team is way ahead or way behind. Something very fishy about that.

Well if u have a good QB and a Great ath that is your best player on the field. You get him out there to better the team how ever you can. Can't be that many D1 programs offering a QB who isn't that good.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mikey said:

I'm thinking if he was a truly super QB their best chance to win would be with him taking snaps.

Nobody said he was a super QB. He's a super Athlete who has a heck of a lot potential at QB. Given Chip's track record developing QBs nearly everywhere he has been, albeit a lot of that was at high schools, if he wants him I like Chip's odds of developing Joey into a good QB.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

I totally see your point. QB gets the ball in his hands every play. Seems like he'd be playing QB, maybe like Cam Akers. Other guy must be a real stud I guess.

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

Agree. I've said this all along, people really need to temper all their hype with Gateway. Kid has a long way to go to even take a snap at QB at the SEC level. 

• Like 3

Well, the next obvious question is- are we recruiting the kid that is keeping Gatewood from being the full time starter? I mean, if Gatewood is all that and this kid is preventing him from being "the man", well maybe that warrants a look. 

• Like 1

The question we need to be asking is how bad are the receiver options on joeys team? If it was anything like Beauregards situation a couple years ago then i understand why joey is playing receiver. Our best player played the receiver position because our second best player could only play QB. Our offense worked best that way because it added more threats to score.

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

Nick Marshall   =)

• Like 1

The current recruiting analysis' and high ratings of Joey AT QB were prepared with full knowledge that he is a backup/part time QB right now. This is a somewhat odd discussion.  

2018 is a long way off, i wouldn't be surprised if CCL were to go after another QB that would better suit his style of play. Not saying Gatewood doesn't, its just that there are a lot of QBs out there that CCL will know more about and have his eyes on rather than Gatewood. Just don't be surprised if CCL focuses on another QB more than Gatewood, especially out west where he is more familiar with the QBs out there.

6 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

2018 is a long way off, i wouldn't be surprised if CCL were to go after another QB that would better suit his style of play. Not saying Gatewood doesn't, its just that there are a lot of QBs out there that CCL will know more about and have his eyes on rather than Gatewood. Just don't be surprised if CCL focuses on another QB more than Gatewood, especially out west where he is more familiar with the QBs out there.

Watch out for Malik Willis. This kid is going to be a stud if Lindsey is the QB developer that everyone says he is. Malik's upside is out of this world. 

• Like 8

11 hours ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

How many offers does the guy that has more snaps at QB than he does have?

17 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Watch out for Malik Willis. This kid is going to be a stud if Lindsey is the QB developer that everyone says he is. Malik's upside is out of this world. 

This is what I don't understand about rankings. I've read rankings are based on draftability. If upside is out this world(a few ppl have said the same) why wouldn't that reflect in the rankings? Is it basically just one guy each for ESPN, rivals, and 247 and that guy doesn't agree?

58 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

If Joey can get to where he throws well he would fit perfect for Chip's RPO offense.