2018 4* QB Joey Gatewood (Auburn 12/5/15)

RunInRed

51 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Watch out for Malik Willis. This kid is going to be a stud if Lindsey is the QB developer that everyone says he is. Malik's upside is out of this world. 

And don't forget. Malik only had 1 full year as QB1. Joey can go somewhere and get that same experience and be a prospect more of us are excited about if he does well.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Newbomb said:

How many offers does the guy that has more snaps at QB than he does have?

A number of D2 offers. None from D1 at the moment but does have interest from FSU & UK.

38 minutes ago, brad5628AU said:

This is what I don't understand about rankings. I've read rankings are based on draftability. If upside is out this world(a few ppl have said the same) why wouldn't that reflect in the rankings? Is it basically just one guy each for ESPN, rivals, and 247 and that guy doesn't agree?

There's a difference between college upside & pro upside. He doesn't have measurables right now for pro out of this world potential. Plus most of the sites never evalled Malik as a QB. They evalled him as an athlete before the season & never looked at him again.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ellitor said:

A number of D2 offers. None from D1 at the moment but does have interest from FSU & UK.

This smells suspiciously like the JF3 situation.

I hope we are not in a position of hindsight where we are saying "OF COURSE he did't cut it here. He couldn't even start at his HS with a guy with zero D-1 offers" which is pretty much what happened with JF3.

10 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I hope we are not in a position of hindsight where we are saying "OF COURSE he did't cut it here. He couldn't even start at his HS with a guy with zero D-1 offers" which is pretty much what happened with JF3.

Did JF3 have an offer from basically every major college program? Because JG sure does.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Watch out for Malik Willis. This kid is going to be a stud if Lindsey is the QB developer that everyone says he is. Malik's upside is out of this world. 

THIS with willis!

also, Gatewood practices at QB, but plays wherever he is needed. He HAD a D1 kid ahead of him. He will be THE QB this year at Bartram trail, and we will see what he has. I think he has the ability to be as good as he wants. CAM size, arm strength, leadership ability...

If he doesn't make QB, he will be the best TE AU has signed in 20 years.

6 minutes ago, Dixie1860 said:

THIS with willis!

also, Gatewood practices at QB, but plays wherever he is needed. He HAD a D1 kid ahead of him. He will be THE QB this year at Bartram trail, and we will see what he has. I think he has the ability to be as good as he wants. CAM size, arm strength, leadership ability...

If he doesn't make QB, he will be the best TE AU has signed in 20 years.

I like Bo (Cam) Nix... He is the future imo. I think he walks in and is ahead of JG anyways but man that is some competition to look forward to. (Possibly) Nix,Willis, Gatewood.

Edit: yes I know I didn't mention QB & TQ. I have my own opinions.

Edited by ScottsboroAuburnFan
Blasphemy

19 minutes ago, Tiger said:

They are talking about the QB starting in front of him, not him.  He's at a school where the coach goes out of his way to give his older players a chance to shine, and also sees value in Joey as a multi-roll player. That's not to say Joey is the second coming of Cam right now, but he's no Franklin either.  He has A LOT more going for him that just the raw speed that Franklin brings to the table.

• Like 1

I mean come on, he has an offer from...

OU, O,The U, UT, LSU, FSU, The OSU, Clem, UM, UF, UTK, Omiss and the list goes on and on. 

Now how many can decode those lol...

First person to name them all, gets a prize.

Edited by ScottsboroAuburnFan

13 hours ago, Mikey said:

I'm thinking if he was a truly super QB their best chance to win would be with him taking snaps.

Agree...we have too often ordained guys like Joey before they even report to AU....and as noted, some were / are not even skilled enough at the QB position to win the job at a lower level.....thinking of JF3 for example. 

Might be good to put a full court press on JG but I can't imagine Gus or CCL deciding already the JG is our future at QB.   Lots of folks had similar feelings about Woody and now we are still trying to learn whether he will ever play QB at AU. 

Sure....recruit him ...but don't stop there. 

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

That's not to say Joey is the second coming of Cam right now, but he's no Franklin either.  He has A LOT more going for him that just the raw speed that Franklin brings to the table.

I'm inclined to agree. With Gatewood, some are concerned that his floor might be lower than initially expected. I'm pretty sure most still think he's got a high ceiling.

I'm not sure anybody thought JFIII had a high ceiling other than Gus, Rhett and the "any guy who can run fast and who ever took a snap is a legit dual-threat QB and therefore the obvious choice for Gus's offense" crowd. (If there's any value in the JFIII experiment, hopefully it's that that crowd has shrunk significantly. But, we are talking about Auburn fans here.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Agree...we have too often ordained guys like Joey before they even report to AU....and as noted, some were / are not even skilled enough at the QB position to win the job at a lower level.....thinking of JF3 for example. 

Might be good to put a full court press on JG but I can't imagine Gus or CCL deciding already the JG is our future at QB.   Lots of folks had similar feelings about Woody and now we are still trying to learn whether he will ever play QB at AU. 

Sure....recruit him ...but don't stop there. 

Anyone to put JF3 in a sentence with JG should get a permaBan. E,Golf someone please explain the deranged though... Mind Blown

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Anyone to put JF3 in a sentence with JG should get a permaBan. E,Golf someone please explain the deranged though... Mind Blown

Sorry to disturb your equilibrium but was just suggesting that too often we decide about these young guys while they are still in development.  

Not saying JG is not a superior athlete with interest from lots of top schools ....just saying that the success rate of top rated QBs is not that high and hoping we don't stop our QB search with him. 

Just now, AU64 said:

Sorry to disturb your equilibrium but was just suggesting that too often we decide about these young guys while they are still in development.  

Not saying JG is not a superior athlete with interest from lots of top schools ....just saying that the success rate of top rated QBs is not that high and hoping we don't stop our QB search with him. 

Ok got ya, I just thought you were making the 2 out to be similar and it's not even close. JF3 had like 3 offers based on JG has 33 major offers. No way 33 teams are missing, he may flop because you are correct & a lot do flop. But every camp he attends he is getting praised by every scout out there.

Just now, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Did JF3 have an offer from basically every major college program? Because JG sure does.

No but the parallel I'm pointing out is that neither could beat out a guy with zero D-1 offers in front of them which is weird to say the least. You'd think the best guy would get the snaps regardless

• Like 3

Just now, Tiger said:

No but the parallel I'm pointing out is that neither could beat out a guy with zero D-1 offers in front of them which is weird to say the least. You'd think the best guy would get the snaps regardless

I do see your point. Just like the chizik years with our WRs and DB's were QB's in High School lol. But nobody thought JF3 had D1 ability and yet so many do with JG. So I just can't compare them in any way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Big difference between Joey & JF3. Everyone wants Joey. Nobody besides us wanted JF3.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Again. It's not about beating the other guy out. It's about putting both on the field at the same time. Joey is the only one of the 2 skilled enough to also play RB & WR & make that happen..

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Big difference between Joey & JF3. Everyone wants Joey. Nobody besides us wanted JF3.

Lol good point

IMO, a high school coach has an obligation to do whatever he can, legally of course, to help his kids get to the next level. Joey Gatewood's coach has a starting QB who is a legit D-2 prospect with some D-1 interest. His BEST QB has offers from every program in the country despite the fact that he isn't even playing QB. From this perspective, I think the coach is doing the right thing. Plus, his starting QB is still better than most high school QBs and he has a decent TE/WR also.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PotPot said:

IMO, a high school coach has an obligation to do whatever he can, legally of course, to help his kids get to the next level. Joey Gatewood's coach has a starting QB who is a legit D-2 prospect with some D-1 interest. His BEST QB has offers from every program in the country despite the fact that he isn't even playing QB. From this perspective, I think the coach is doing the right thing. Plus, his starting QB is still better than most high school QBs and he has a decent TE/WR also.

Also. It's not like Joey is sitting on the bench. He is playing when he is not at QB. If he was not playing then I would agree with everyone elses concerns.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Also. It's not like Joey is sitting on the bench. He is playing when he is not at QB. If he was not playing then I would agree with everyone elses concerns.

I agree. And to add to, or further clarify, my previous post, if Joey Is the starting QB then that would leave a kid, who is a very good QB himself, standing on the sidelines quite possibly with no scholarship offers.

19 minutes ago, PotPot said:

I agree. And to add to, or further clarify, my previous post, if Joey Is the starting QB then that would leave a kid, who is a very good QB himself, standing on the sidelines quite possibly with no scholarship offers.

With all that said I would like him to transfer to a school his Sr year where he can get a full season's reps at QB.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, ellitor said:

With all that said I would like him to transfer to a school his Sr year where he can get a full season's reps at QB.

Preferably to a school that runs a similar offense to Chip's offense.  Of course, I do know that High School is for more than just playing football, but they do have girls at most high schools.

• Like 1