2018 4* QB Joey Gatewood (Auburn 12/5/15)

RunInRed

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Lol good point

yep...but I was just warning of irrational exuberance....:).....and yet hoping he is everything that people think he is....

Check this video...the top 5 HS QBs in Texas in 2103.....and how many of them have we heard of?   http://www.ktxs.com/sports/high-school-sports/hs-football-top-5-quarterbacks-of-2013/12259449

Again...just suggesting that we don't sign JG and think the job is done.....

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

With all that said I would like him to transfer to a school his Sr year where he can get a full season's reps at QB.

This would be the best fo him

7 hours ago, LakeBum said:

Preferably to a school that runs a similar offense to Chip's offense.  Of course, I do know that High School is for more than just playing football, but they do have girls at most high schools.

3 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

This would be the best fo him

Like to Colquit County H.S?   Wouldn't that be something.   And I am not suggesting it will happen... 

27 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

Like to Colquit County H.S?   Wouldn't that be something.   And I am not suggesting it will happen... 

oooooooor any 1 of the hundreds if not thousands of high school that run it or a variation thereof.

I would like us to do one thing over the next few yrs: recruit a couple of QB outside the Deep South.  We ALWAYS struggle to recruit the best passer/dual threat QB, then to sign them is another challenge.  Texas plays 7 on 7 beginning in 6th grade and typically have a 100 programs that throw for thousands of yards.  And only one SEC school there: TAMU.  For example Matt Stafford (UGA) came out of TX.  Stidham now, you get my point...http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000696545/article/texas-leads-in-producing-current-starting-nfl-qbs.  They had 7 NFL starters week 1.  AL had 2, FL had 2.  It's fertile ground.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I would like us to do one thing over the next few yrs: recruit a couple of QB outside the Deep South.  We ALWAYS struggle to recruit the best passer/dual threat QB, then to sign them is another challenge.  Texas plays 7 on 7 beginning in 6th grade and typically have a 100 programs that throw for thousands of yards.  And only one SEC school there: TAMU.  For example Matt Stafford (UGA) came out of TX.  Stidham now, you get my point...http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000696545/article/texas-leads-in-producing-current-starting-nfl-qbs.  They had 7 NFL starters week 1.  AL had 2, FL had 2.  It's fertile ground.

thats one of the issues muschamp had with gus before he left when it came to recruiting. He does not extend the recruiting map for us that far. Like we barely even recruit anywhere outside florida, bama and georgia except for special circumstances. We need to cast a wider net. Just for the fact we are not the state school so we do not have a high number of recruits in bama each year that are basically locks for us like other state schools like georgia, bama and lsu have. I think mississippi would be a prime spot. You do not have a historically dominant program there. I would think we could come in and poach a few every year. Texas? We must have no more than 5 on our roster and the 2 that I can think of off the top of my head are transfers in Darius James and Stidham.

7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

thats one of the issues muschamp had with gus before he left when it came to recruiting. He does not extend the recruiting map for us that far. Like we barely even recruit anywhere outside florida, bama and georgia except for special circumstances. We need to cast a wider net. Just for the fact we are not the state school so we do not have a high number of recruits in bama each year that are basically locks for us like other state schools like georgia, bama and lsu have. I think mississippi would be a prime spot. You do not have a historically dominant program there. I would think we could come in and poach a few every year. Texas? We must have no more than 5 on our roster and the 2 that I can think of off the top of my head are transfers in Darius James and Stidham.

I think Jason Campbell was from Miss.  You make an excellent point.  I am 99% sure Dak Prescott is from Miss.  Bigger net, more opportunity.  Somehow Stanford can recruit in AL...(Ryan Johnson: the Mobile, AL DE - it's us or Stanford supposedly).  Let's lock down Miss.  Both of their programs seem ablaze.  

Edited by Beaker
Type

18 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I think Jason Campbell was from Miss.  You make an excellent point.  I am 99% sure Dak Prescott is from Miss.  Bigger net, more opportunity.  Somehow Stanford can recruit in AL...(Ryan Johnson: the Mobile, AL DE - it's us or Stanford supposedly).  Let's lock down Miss.  Both of their programs seem ablaze.  

lol I am talking about since gus became head coach. Of course we have had players from miss. I am saying we should consistently be actively trying to pull kids from there. Dak was a 3 star from Louisiana. Stanford has a amazing class they have recruited very well under david shaw and harbaugh nationally. I agree with ole miss having the ncaa cloud over them and miss st being one of the worst programs historically in the sec we should at least be trying harder there. SO MUCH talent is there year in year out. I want us to get a good recruiter who has ties to the state of MS.

Edited by GwillMac6

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Its a shame we don't recruit Texas harder...

This state has an abundance of Talent and most have received great coaching and conditioning with flag football when very young 7x7 leagues everywhere and most schools use things like Performance Course for conditioning when out of school in the summer.  Performance Course is technically voluntary and kids pay to do it but scholarships are given. 

• Like 2

Back in my day (the 80s) most high school coaches put their best athlete at QB.  You want your best player touching the ball as many times a possible. That is why lots of QBs are recruited to play other positions at the SEC level.   It does not really benefit the team to place your star at WR and then run the ball 25 times a game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUBourne said:

Back in my day (the 80s) most high school coaches put their best athlete at QB.  You want your best player touching the ball as many times a possible. That is why lots of QBs are recruited to play other positions at the SEC level.   It does not really benefit the team to place your star at WR and then run the ball 25 times a game.

People 'round here get awfully fired up whenever we sign a "QB" to play another position. I remember one classy fan in particular giving himself a huge pat on the back because he thought he correctly predicted that Jason Smith would fail as a WR due to that "not being his natural position" or something like that. What that crowd doesn't understand is that, like you said, what you're getting much of the time is not a natural QB, but that high school's best athlete. I don't really consider that something to whine about, particularly when the failure rate of Auburn WRs who played QB in high school is probably right in line with the failure rate of Auburn WRs who only played WR in high school. 

Sorry, that rant is completely unrelated to Joey Gatewood. I agree with @ellitor. Hopefully Gatewood spends his senior season playing QB and we can put it all to bed. 

13 hours ago, ellitor said:
14 hours ago, lala said:

Did Chip visit him today

Yes per a VIP headline.

And per an article I read, he was only really allowed to say "hi" and not really talk about much, but they have talked on the phone and Joey is optimistic that they will get along.

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Auburn-offensive-coordinator-Chip-Lindsey-to-visit-4-star-Florid-50763556

5 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

And per an article I read, he was only really allowed to say "hi" and not really talk about much, but they have talked on the phone and Joey is optimistic that they will get along.

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Auburn-offensive-coordinator-Chip-Lindsey-to-visit-4-star-Florid-50763556

Same article. It was VIP yesterday.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

People 'round here get awfully fired up whenever we sign a "QB" to play another position. I remember one classy fan in particular giving himself a huge pat on the back because he thought he correctly predicted that Jason Smith would fail as a WR due to that "not being his natural position" or something like that. What that crowd doesn't understand is that, like you said, what you're getting much of the time is not a natural QB, but that high school's best athlete. I don't really consider that something to whine about, particularly when the failure rate of Auburn WRs who played QB in high school is probably right in line with the failure rate of Auburn WRs who only played WR in high school. 

Sorry, that rant is completely unrelated to Joey Gatewood. I agree with @ellitor. Hopefully Gatewood spends his senior season playing QB and we can put it all to bed. 

Correctly predicted that he would get passed up by true WRs. That is the thing with Athletes. They never fully work on the craft, relying on their innate ability. Heck, who can fault them? Still, this is often not enough to get by  E.G. Speedy Noils, which is why it is important that Joey Gatewood get as many reps at QB as possible. Stop being so passive aggressive. Not a good trait for a male.

Just now, DAG said:

Stay out of this Clayton. 

Oh my apologies all hail DAG. :bow: my wish is your command sir. Didn't realize you were a Mod that could tell people what to do. 

Just now, ClaytonAU said:

Oh my apologies all hail DAG. :bow: my wish is your command sir. Didn't realize you were a Mod that could tell people what to do. 

My mod status is under review.  ask @bigbird. Jumping the gun a bit.

Edited by DAG