aucanucktiger

2018 4* QB Joey Gatewood (Auburn 12/5/15)

558 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

And per an article I read, he was only really allowed to say "hi" and not really talk about much, but they have talked on the phone and Joey is optimistic that they will get along.

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Auburn-offensive-coordinator-Chip-Lindsey-to-visit-4-star-Florid-50763556

Same article. It was VIP yesterday.

21 hours ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

M'fin auto correct. WB! Not QB!

My phone kills me with the auto correct. 

2 people like this

Just now, ellitor said:

Same article. It was VIP yesterday.

Cool.  They released it from VIP around 5:00 CST.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

People 'round here get awfully fired up whenever we sign a "QB" to play another position. I remember one classy fan in particular giving himself a huge pat on the back because he thought he correctly predicted that Jason Smith would fail as a WR due to that "not being his natural position" or something like that. What that crowd doesn't understand is that, like you said, what you're getting much of the time is not a natural QB, but that high school's best athlete. I don't really consider that something to whine about, particularly when the failure rate of Auburn WRs who played QB in high school is probably right in line with the failure rate of Auburn WRs who only played WR in high school. 

Sorry, that rant is completely unrelated to Joey Gatewood. I agree with @ellitor. Hopefully Gatewood spends his senior season playing QB and we can put it all to bed. 

Correctly predicted that he would get passed up by true WRs. That is the thing with Athletes. They never fully work on the craft, relying on their innate ability. Heck, who can fault them? Still, this is often not enough to get by  E.G. Speedy Noils, which is why it is important that Joey Gatewood get as many reps at QB as possible. Stop being so passive aggressive. Not a good trait for a male.

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Stop being so passive aggressive. Not a good trait for a male.

What the hell? 

1 person likes this

Just now, ClaytonAU said:

What the hell? 

Stay out of this Clayton. 

Just now, DAG said:

Stay out of this Clayton. 

Oh my apologies all hail DAG. :bow: my wish is your command sir. Didn't realize you were a Mod that could tell people what to do. 

Oh my apologies all hail DAG. :bow: my wish is your command sir. Didn't realize you were a Mod that could tell people what to do. 

My mod status is under review.  ask @bigbird. Jumping the gun a bit.

Edited by DAG

Just now, DAG said:

My mod status is under review.  ask @bigbird. Jumping the gun a bit.

Cool, you're like everyone else until then. 

1 person likes this

Sooo this Joey Cat is an athletic dude. Hope he gets a lot of snaps at QB next season.

Cool, you're like everyone else until then. 

As sharp as a cue ball, you are. So Joey Gatewood 

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Sooo this Joey Cat is an athletic dude. Hope he gets a lot of snaps at QB next season.

I heard he plays QB...no wait...nevermind

3 people like this

11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I heard he plays QB...no wait...nevermind

I set that one up for ya to see what you would say.

1 person likes this

12 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

So...how is Joey feeling about the new OC hite?

Considering he's still recruiting for us on Twitter, I'd say he's happy with Chip.

2 people like this

On 1/25/2017 at 6:34 AM, bigbird said:

Its a shame we don't recruit Texas harder...

Couldn't agree more, especially with the turmoil in-state with UT being down, A&M up and down, the explosion of Baylor. I think we could  make a splash in the state. 

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, Southwest said:

Couldn't agree more, especially with the turmoil in-state with UT being down, A&M up and down, the explosion of Baylor. I think we could  make a splash in the state. 

I think we will, now that Porter is on staff...

2 people like this

Update after The Opening-Orlando Camp

The quarterback of the future?

It’s been a two-month whirlwind for Joey Gatewood’s recruitment.

The 6-foot-4, 231-pound quarterback had his eyes firmly set on Auburn. Gatewood knew he wanted to go to the Plains to play quarterback for offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee, a coach that had become more of an older brother figure than a father figure.

Lashlee left for UConn. Other offers began pouring in the second it became clear Gatewood-to-Auburn might have some road bumps.

DSC_0045-3_k8yw7j.jpg
Auburn QB commit Joey Gatewood (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

At The Opening regional in Orlando on Sunday, Gatewood admitted other schools have been pushing. But, to him, none of that matters right now.

“Nothing right now. I’m committed to Auburn,” Gatewood told SEC Country with firmness in his voice.

Gatewood has suitors from all over.

Florida State will be there until the end. Georgia, Texas and Oregon — the latter two, especially — have amped up their recruiting efforts since Lashlee departed Auburn. Texas and Oregon text Gatewood on an almost daily basis, with the Ducks reaching out to Gatewood more than even the Tigers.

But Chip Lindsey is doing everything he can to secure Auburn’s highest-rated 2018 commitment. Lindsey made a stop by Bartram Trail in Jacksonville, Fla., during the January contact period. He is making major strides to repair the hole left behind by Lashlee, who was reason No. 1 for Gatewood’s initial surprise commitment.

“We’re getting to know each other. It’s going work by work. He’s a good guy, a great person,” Gatewood said. “I look forward to getting up there soon.”

Gatewood is going to play quarterback at the next level. Don’t even question otherwise.

At his high school, Gatewood does much more than just that, but it had a lot to do with the personnel alongside him. Another quarterback had seniority — and Division I talent — so Bartram Trail coaches scattered Gatewood all over the field. That isn’t going to happen in 2017.

Gatewood, who shined at Sunday’s regional, is ready to stick to a quarterback-only role for his senior season. He said he feels like he lost some development opportunity as a passer in 2016. He will use his senior season to improve his accuracy and ability to read defenses.

“Since it’s my senior year, I’m focused on quarterback,” Gatewood said.

Gatewood plans to enroll early.

1 person likes this

I realize he's tight with Lashlee and all but I think as he gets to know Chip and how he will be used at QB, it will all pan out. Gotta keep this kid. 

49 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

I realize he's tight with Lashlee and all but I think as he gets to know Chip and how he will be used at QB, it will all pan out. Gotta keep this kid

Based on snippets I've read from the Opening, he's basically what we've been hearing around here... LOTS of potential, but inconsistent and has some work ahead of him. The one thing I read that was a little surprising/concerning is that, unlike most top QBs, he's not working with an outside QB coach. I hope he considers going that route this Summer.

Wondering if he will get the development (as a QB) that he needs ....or will he come to AU raw like Woody. 

It might be in JG's best future interest to play QB but the HS coach is also in the business of winning football games and using him elsewhere might be his best plan

I have to say that if I had a guy like him, I would not waste him at QB if I had a reasonable alternative.   I can see why the coach has been using him " all over the field" as noted in the piece above.

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Wondering if he will get the development (as a QB) that he needs ....or will he come to AU raw like Woody. 

It might be in JG's best future interest to play QB but the HS coach is also in the business of winning football games and using him elsewhere might be his best plan

I have to say that if I had a guy like him, I would not waste him at QB if I had a reasonable alternative.   I can see why the coach has been using him " all over the field" as noted in the piece above.

We see this 180 degree opposite. QB is the most important position on the field. If a coach wants to win he's GOT to play his best QB at QB. A high school coach that doesn't put his best QB at QB is either an idiot or else has some political debts to pay.

56 minutes ago, Mikey said:

We see this 180 degree opposite. QB is the most important position on the field. If a coach wants to win he's GOT to play his best QB at QB. A high school coach that doesn't put his best QB at QB is either an idiot or else has some political debts to pay.

Or thinks the offense is better overall if the 2 QBs can play at the same time by allowing the athletic QB play another position. Joey in all likelihood is probably the best WR & RB on the team too.