aucanucktiger

2018 4* QB Joey Gatewood (Auburn 12/5/15)

558 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

Or thinks the offense is better overall if the 2 QBs can play at the same time by allowing the athletic QB play another position. Joey in all likelihood is probably the best WR & RB on the team too.

System won't let me " like" this comment....so will note that I agree. Coach has to decide what gives the team the greatest chance of success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

System won't let me " like" this comment....so will note that I agree. Coach has to decide what gives the team the greatest chance of success.

Indeed, and to me, it's hard to imagine any team's setup where playing the best QB at QB doesn't give the team its greatest chance of success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have seen it first hand. Starting QB plays most of the game, down a touchdown in the 4th quarter with the game on the line, starter tells coach to put back up in and throw him a vert route to the back corner of the endzone...Touchdown...Flag..."Run it again coach"...Touchdown and the toes were in. But, who is to say the team would have been in that position if the 2nd QB had played most of the snaps...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, AU64 said:

System won't let me " like" this comment....so will note that I agree. Coach has to decide what gives the team the greatest chance of success.

Creating a thread in the help forum now....For the site issues, not Mikey.:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Indeed, and to me, it's hard to imagine any team's setup where playing the best QB at QB doesn't give the team its greatest chance of success.

Just suggesting that in the way of QB skills...passing or ball handling there might not be enough difference to offset the benefit of having the better all around athlete doing something else....thus getting both of them on the field at the same time.  As some commented, JG could probably be the best guy at several positions on the field...maybe LB too so maybe the goal is to maximize his contributions.  A reason perhaps for him to do some QB school if it were available.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Just suggesting that in the way of QB skills...passing or ball handling there might not be enough difference to offset the benefit of having the better all around athlete doing something else....thus getting both of them on the field at the same time.  As some commented, JG could probably be the best guy at several positions on the field...maybe LB too so maybe the goal is to maximize his contributions.  A reason perhaps for him to do some QB school if it were available.

I'm coming around on this line of thinking. That said, I agree with what @ellitor has said a few times, which is hopefully JG finds his way to a situation where he is a full time starting QB. That would be best for JG and best for Auburn, if he does end up here as a candidate for the QB1 spot. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I'm coming around on this line of thinking. That said, I agree with what @ellitor has said a few times, which is hopefully JG finds his way to a situation where he is a full time starting QB. That would be best for JG and best for Auburn, if he does end up here as a candidate for the QB1 spot. 

That's something to think about...but I'm coming around to the way of thinking that HS QBs just have "it" and maybe it's not something that can be taught.....the individual skills perhaps...such as throwing the ball but  maybe not even that......leadership is something special that some players just seem to have.....and not always the most athletic looking players.  Like fast ball pitchers in baseball...pretty much agreed that God gives a guy his fast ball....you can look at guys like Feller, or Koufax and a number of others and they did not look imposing but they had the fast ball....and the ability to use it. 

Meanwhile, we've seen dozens..maybe more......, QBs in HS and college with rifle arms and the ability to throw the ball 70 yards...and  yet who barely see the playing field. 

Just saying....JG definitely has the look and has the physicals....but does he have the "it".?   I don't think anyone is going to know that until he is at the next level...JMO

Edited by AU64

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I'm glad we have someone on staff now who has a reputation of being able to get the best out of his QBs as a coach and developer to make up for his lost time being QB last year

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now