2018 4* QB Joey Gatewood (Auburn 12/5/15)

RunInRed

Just now, ClaytonAU said:

Cool, you're like everyone else until then. 

As sharp as a cue ball, you are. So Joey Gatewood 

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Sooo this Joey Cat is an athletic dude. Hope he gets a lot of snaps at QB next season.

I heard he plays QB...no wait...nevermind

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I heard he plays QB...no wait...nevermind

I set that one up for ya to see what you would say.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

So...how is Joey feeling about the new OC hite?

Considering he's still recruiting for us on Twitter, I'd say he's happy with Chip.

• Like 2

On 1/25/2017 at 6:34 AM, bigbird said:

Its a shame we don't recruit Texas harder...

Couldn't agree more, especially with the turmoil in-state with UT being down, A&M up and down, the explosion of Baylor. I think we could  make a splash in the state. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Southwest said:

Couldn't agree more, especially with the turmoil in-state with UT being down, A&M up and down, the explosion of Baylor. I think we could  make a splash in the state. 

I think we will, now that Porter is on staff...

• Like 2

Update after The Opening-Orlando Camp

The quarterback of the future?

It’s been a two-month whirlwind for Joey Gatewood’s recruitment.

The 6-foot-4, 231-pound quarterback had his eyes firmly set on Auburn. Gatewood knew he wanted to go to the Plains to play quarterback for offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee, a coach that had become more of an older brother figure than a father figure.

Lashlee left for UConn. Other offers began pouring in the second it became clear Gatewood-to-Auburn might have some road bumps.

DSC_0045-3_k8yw7j.jpg
Auburn QB commit Joey Gatewood (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

At The Opening regional in Orlando on Sunday, Gatewood admitted other schools have been pushing. But, to him, none of that matters right now.

“Nothing right now. I’m committed to Auburn,” Gatewood told SEC Country with firmness in his voice.

Gatewood has suitors from all over.

Florida State will be there until the end. Georgia, Texas and Oregon — the latter two, especially — have amped up their recruiting efforts since Lashlee departed Auburn. Texas and Oregon text Gatewood on an almost daily basis, with the Ducks reaching out to Gatewood more than even the Tigers.

But Chip Lindsey is doing everything he can to secure Auburn’s highest-rated 2018 commitment. Lindsey made a stop by Bartram Trail in Jacksonville, Fla., during the January contact period. He is making major strides to repair the hole left behind by Lashlee, who was reason No. 1 for Gatewood’s initial surprise commitment.

“We’re getting to know each other. It’s going work by work. He’s a good guy, a great person,” Gatewood said. “I look forward to getting up there soon.”

Gatewood is going to play quarterback at the next level. Don’t even question otherwise.

At his high school, Gatewood does much more than just that, but it had a lot to do with the personnel alongside him. Another quarterback had seniority — and Division I talent — so Bartram Trail coaches scattered Gatewood all over the field. That isn’t going to happen in 2017.

Gatewood, who shined at Sunday’s regional, is ready to stick to a quarterback-only role for his senior season. He said he feels like he lost some development opportunity as a passer in 2016. He will use his senior season to improve his accuracy and ability to read defenses.

“Since it’s my senior year, I’m focused on quarterback,” Gatewood said.

Gatewood plans to enroll early.

• Like 1

I realize he's tight with Lashlee and all but I think as he gets to know Chip and how he will be used at QB, it will all pan out. Gotta keep this kid. 

49 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

I realize he's tight with Lashlee and all but I think as he gets to know Chip and how he will be used at QB, it will all pan out. Gotta keep this kid

Based on snippets I've read from the Opening, he's basically what we've been hearing around here... LOTS of potential, but inconsistent and has some work ahead of him. The one thing I read that was a little surprising/concerning is that, unlike most top QBs, he's not working with an outside QB coach. I hope he considers going that route this Summer.

Wondering if he will get the development (as a QB) that he needs ....or will he come to AU raw like Woody. 

It might be in JG's best future interest to play QB but the HS coach is also in the business of winning football games and using him elsewhere might be his best plan

I have to say that if I had a guy like him, I would not waste him at QB if I had a reasonable alternative.   I can see why the coach has been using him " all over the field" as noted in the piece above.

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Wondering if he will get the development (as a QB) that he needs ....or will he come to AU raw like Woody. 

It might be in JG's best future interest to play QB but the HS coach is also in the business of winning football games and using him elsewhere might be his best plan

I have to say that if I had a guy like him, I would not waste him at QB if I had a reasonable alternative.   I can see why the coach has been using him " all over the field" as noted in the piece above.

We see this 180 degree opposite. QB is the most important position on the field. If a coach wants to win he's GOT to play his best QB at QB. A high school coach that doesn't put his best QB at QB is either an idiot or else has some political debts to pay.

56 minutes ago, Mikey said:

We see this 180 degree opposite. QB is the most important position on the field. If a coach wants to win he's GOT to play his best QB at QB. A high school coach that doesn't put his best QB at QB is either an idiot or else has some political debts to pay.

Or thinks the offense is better overall if the 2 QBs can play at the same time by allowing the athletic QB play another position. Joey in all likelihood is probably the best WR & RB on the team too.

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

Or thinks the offense is better overall if the 2 QBs can play at the same time by allowing the athletic QB play another position. Joey in all likelihood is probably the best WR & RB on the team too.

System won't let me " like" this comment....so will note that I agree. Coach has to decide what gives the team the greatest chance of success.

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

System won't let me " like" this comment....so will note that I agree. Coach has to decide what gives the team the greatest chance of success.

Indeed, and to me, it's hard to imagine any team's setup where playing the best QB at QB doesn't give the team its greatest chance of success.

I have seen it first hand. Starting QB plays most of the game, down a touchdown in the 4th quarter with the game on the line, starter tells coach to put back up in and throw him a vert route to the back corner of the endzone...Touchdown...Flag..."Run it again coach"...Touchdown and the toes were in. But, who is to say the team would have been in that position if the 2nd QB had played most of the snaps...

22 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Creating a thread in the help forum now....For the site issues, not Mikey.:)

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Indeed, and to me, it's hard to imagine any team's setup where playing the best QB at QB doesn't give the team its greatest chance of success.

Just suggesting that in the way of QB skills...passing or ball handling there might not be enough difference to offset the benefit of having the better all around athlete doing something else....thus getting both of them on the field at the same time.  As some commented, JG could probably be the best guy at several positions on the field...maybe LB too so maybe the goal is to maximize his contributions.  A reason perhaps for him to do some QB school if it were available.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Just suggesting that in the way of QB skills...passing or ball handling there might not be enough difference to offset the benefit of having the better all around athlete doing something else....thus getting both of them on the field at the same time.  As some commented, JG could probably be the best guy at several positions on the field...maybe LB too so maybe the goal is to maximize his contributions.  A reason perhaps for him to do some QB school if it were available.

I'm coming around on this line of thinking. That said, I agree with what @ellitor has said a few times, which is hopefully JG finds his way to a situation where he is a full time starting QB. That would be best for JG and best for Auburn, if he does end up here as a candidate for the QB1 spot. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I'm coming around on this line of thinking. That said, I agree with what @ellitor has said a few times, which is hopefully JG finds his way to a situation where he is a full time starting QB. That would be best for JG and best for Auburn, if he does end up here as a candidate for the QB1 spot. 

That's something to think about...but I'm coming around to the way of thinking that HS QBs just have "it" and maybe it's not something that can be taught.....the individual skills perhaps...such as throwing the ball but  maybe not even that......leadership is something special that some players just seem to have.....and not always the most athletic looking players.  Like fast ball pitchers in baseball...pretty much agreed that God gives a guy his fast ball....you can look at guys like Feller, or Koufax and a number of others and they did not look imposing but they had the fast ball....and the ability to use it. 

Meanwhile, we've seen dozens..maybe more......, QBs in HS and college with rifle arms and the ability to throw the ball 70 yards...and  yet who barely see the playing field. 

Just saying....JG definitely has the look and has the physicals....but does he have the "it".?   I don't think anyone is going to know that until he is at the next level...JMO

Edited by AU64

Well I'm glad we have someone on staff now who has a reputation of being able to get the best out of his QBs as a coach and developer to make up for his lost time being QB last year

• Like 1