2018 4* QB Joey Gatewood (Auburn 12/5/15)

RunInRed

Gus is a offensive guru when it comes to running the ball. His track record since he has been at Auburn speaks for itself. He is severely lacking in the passing game and has been for some time. It only seems to get worse. Last 2 years especially we have been a glorified triple option offense. I don't care what he did at tulsa in the passing game that is not the sec. Chris Todd tore up the cupcakes and struggled mightily in the SEC. He got all of his stats mainly against non conference teams. The Chris Todd argument is so tired.  In the SEC he has not shown he has been very capable to run a productive passing offense. Even with Nick who is a stud our passing game left something to be desired. His passing game is not very creative. We know all the plays by now as fans so you know how easy it is for opposing Defenses in the SEC to scheme against Gus. Really hoping Chip and Stidham can rectify this problem. Incorporating some air raid philosophy in to our great rushing attack can't be a bad thing.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Once again, we're dealing with a talking point that someone put out there with no real proof to back it up and people are running with it like it's a hardened fact.

There is not going to be defined proof on stuff like this and you know it so it's not worth asking for. The only option is to choose to believe or not believe the sources close to the team. Regardless of liking his methods or not every last one of them has said time & time again he has micromanaged the O since after 2013 & through most of 2016. I'm sorry but that many truly informed people agreeing on something means the reality is likely very, very, high.

7 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Gus has run some of the most prolific offenses in college football history. To fear that having him involved at all in the 2017 offense spells it's doom is beyond illogical.

Run is the key word there. He excels there. Pass game not so much & him involved there does spell trouble on some level.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, ellitor said:

There is not going to be defined proof on stuff like this and you know it so it's not worth asking for. The only option is to choose to believe or not believe the sources close to the team. Regardless of liking his methods or not every last one of them has said time & time again he has micromanaged the O since after 2013 & through most of 2016. I'm sorry but that many truly informed people agreeing on something means the reality is likely very, very, high.

I've yet to see a single person with real connection to the team complain about Gus micromanaging.  In fact, it's mostly WDE, who unabashedly hates Gus and has had a chip on his shoulder for over a year, now.  

To be honest, I don't know who here actually still has much connection to the team since Gus circled the wagons. To that end, I chose not to believe any rumors, no matter who repeats them. To quote Sgt. Friday, just the facts, maam... er sir.

12 hours ago, ellitor said:

Run is the key word there. He excels there. Pass game not so much & him involved there does spell trouble on some level.

Really?  More unsubstantiated talking points?

2007 - 5065 yards and a 60.1% completion ratio

2008 - 4059 yards and a 64.5% completion ratio

2009 - 2612 yards and a 60.4% completion ratio

2010 - 2854 yards and a 66.1% completion ratio

2012 - 3342 yards and a 68% completion ratio

2014 - 2532 yards and a 60.8% completion ratio

For those who don't have a point of comparison, the most yards in the nation, last year, was 5052.  Heisman finalist, Baker Mayfield threw for 3965. Jacob Eason & Nick Fitzgerald both threw for less than 2500 yards last year in full seasons.

Yea... Gus only knows how to run the ball..... or maybe Gus actually does adjust his offense to the strength of his players and, while he has been at Auburn, his backs and running QBs have been the strength. I, personally, think that we would have had a lot more yards in the air, last year, had they not wasted the off season trying to turn Franklin into Marshall 2.0, and instead concentrated on building the team around Sean.

Edited by lionheartkc
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I've yet to see a single person with real connection to the team complain  about  discuss Gus micromanaging.

Bird & Golf say hello. They are connected. There are a few other connecteds on here who don't discuss things of that nature on a public board. There are connecteds on all the pay sites & AU reporters who discuss it openly behind a pay wall. If you want to see the majority of the connects info on such things and reports from AU reporters then you'll have to join 1 of the AU pay sites.

52 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Give me a flipping break! What the Tulsa pass O did, especially 10 years ago, has no value whatsoever can be done in the SEC.

55 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Again. Outdated for today's football.

57 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Had SuperCam

57 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Same point as Tulsa minus 10 years statement.

58 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Could have been quite a bit better if pass scheme was not so simple & spacing better. And that statement applies to everything he has done pass O wise in the SEC.

• Like 2

Just now, ellitor said:

Give me a flipping break! What the Tulsa pass O did, especially 10 years ago, has no value whatsoever can be done in the SEC.

Had SuperCam

Could have been quite a bit better if pass scheme was not so simple & spacing better. And that statement applies to everything he has done pass O wise in the SEC.

You can make excuses for every year Gus had a prolific passing attack and it still doesn't refute the fact that he is, in fact, capable of running one. None of the players involved called their own plays, and it doesn't matter where he was coaching, who they were playing, or how long ago it was, he called the passing plays and they were successful. You have to let go of 2015 and 2016 and all of the out of the coaches hands things that came with them. It doesn't make sense to judge years with major injuries against years without and determine that it's because one of the most prolific offensive coaches in NCAA history suddenly is incapable or limited.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Bird & Golf say hello. They are connected. There are a few other connecteds on here who don't discuss things of that nature on a public board. There are connecteds on all the pay sites & AU reporters who discuss it openly behind a pay wall. If you want to see the majority of the connects info on such things and reports from AU reporters then you'll have to join 1 of the AU pay sites.

If Bird were to personally tell me that he knows for a fact that Gus interfering was the cause of the crazy play calling at the end of last year, and not the mad scramble to run a team with 12 players on the bench, I would believe it... but I have a feeling he's not going to tell me that.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Had SuperCam

E, seems like WDEwde has talked about Gus Micromanaging as well. 

16 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

E, seems like WDEwde has talked about Gus Micromanaging as well. 

He did but he was already referenced.

15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

@ellitor is definitely not talking out of his rear end here. 

Thanks. Back to Joey. I hope he or Riley Smith transfers so they both can get the QB1 reps they both need.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I hope he or Riley Smith transfers so they both can get the QB1 reps they both need.

I'm guessing that's info that we're just going to have to wait on? No rumblings or anything?

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm guessing that's info that we're just going to have to wait on? No rumblings or anything?

Heard rumblings a few months ago but nothing since.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I've yet to see a single person with real connection to the team complain about Gus micromanaging.  In fact, it's mostly WDE, who unabashedly hates Gus and has had a chip on his shoulder for over a year, now.  

To be honest, I don't know who here actually still has much connection to the team since Gus circled the wagons. To that end, I chose not to believe any rumors, no matter who repeats them. To quote Sgt. Friday, just the facts, maam... er sir.

2009 - 2612 yards and a 60.4% completion ratio

2010 - 2854 yards and a 66.1% completion ratio

2012 - 3342 yards and a 68% completion ratio

2014 - 2532 yards and a 60.8% completion ratio

For those who don't have a point of comparison, the most yards in the nation, last year, was 5052.  Heisman finalist, Baker Mayfield threw for 3965. Jacob Eason & Nick Fitzgerald both threw for less than 2500 yards last year in full seasons.

Yea... Gus only knows how to run the ball..... or maybe Gus actually does adjust his offense to the strength of his players and, while he has been at Auburn, his backs and running QBs have been the strength. I, personally, think that we would have had a lot more yards in the air, last year, had they not wasted the off season trying to turn Franklin into Marshall 2.0, and instead concentrated on building the team around Sean.

I started to address these points but got too lazy and figured "what's the use" anyway. People have their minds made up and they don't want to be confused with facts. Thanks for doing the heavy lifting!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

I started to address these points but got too lazy and figured "what's the use" anyway. People have their minds made up and they don't want to be confused with facts. Thanks for doing the heavy lifting!

Happy to help, Mikey.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ellitor said:

Back to Joey. I hope he or Riley Smith transfers so they both can get the QB1 reps they both need.

Edited by ellitor

Just now, augolf1716 said:

Can we please get back to discussing Joey....I'm asking nicely for now. 

You're a little late old man. Look up. :-\

• 1 month later...

I just want to say IDK how good Joey G will be in college but I just want to say I absolutely appreciate his recruiting efforts for this class. He is all about some Auburn. I admit I had my doubts when Rhett left for uconn. I thought he was one of those kids who were committed to a coach and not a program but he has shut me the heck up and has shown everyone he is all about some Auburn. He is a alpha and a leader and is doing everything he can to try and recruit other top guys to Auburn. WAR DAMN EAGLE JOEY G!!! 

• Like 4

On 3/6/2017 at 1:12 PM, ellitor said:

I just want to point out as the president of the gatewood fan club two years ago I said he would be the type of recruit that would have the charisma that would recruit for us and the type of guy who other big name players would want to play for....two years ago!

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I just want to point out as the president of the gatewood fan club two years ago I said he would be the type of recruit that would have the charisma that would recruit for us and the type of guy who other big name players would want to play for....two years ago!

You apparently are the president of the humble brag club as well!!! CHEEEERS! haha.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 1

No not at all. But when you make a call on a guy as a sophomore and it pans out...oh yeah you bring it up. To not be an insider some of the stuff I guess is pretty cool. This is the type of stuff that makes forums fun

8 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

You apparently are the president of the humble brag club as well!!! CHEEEERS! haha.

Nope, position goes to Viper

• Like 4