2018 4* QB Joey Gatewood (Auburn 12/5/15)

RunInRed

15 hours ago, ellitor said:

Happens every year actually. We have a recruit or 2 every year that has an AU offer but some how gets lost in communication.

Every year there's a highly valued prospect or two that we extend an offer to but he never hears about it? The coach on the phone offering him is speaking Italian? C'mon, some things may pass as possible but this idea bends credibility beyond its limits and past the breaking point. If there's a kid out there that we like well enough to offer a scholarship to, he will darn well know it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Every year there's a highly valued prospect or two that we extend an offer to but he never hears about it? The coach on the phone offering him is speaking Italian? C'mon, some things may pass as possible but this idea bends credibility beyond its limits and past the breaking point. If there's a kid out there that we like well enough to offer a scholarship to, he will darn well know it.

Never said they were highly valued. If they were highly valued  they almost always know. The AU staff would make sure of that.

On 4/27/2017 at 10:27 PM, FoundationEagle said:

Too early to predict he never plays meaningful snap as a qb at AU?

I swear I've seen this story play out 20 times and it almost never works out. Seems like I've seen it as recently as last year...Oh yeah...JF3...everyone excused that he didn't start as qb in juco...now he can't even crack the top 4 at qb. There's usually a reason these guys don't start at qb.  If an excuse is even attempted that the guy ahead of him is better at qb..well then that's a pretty clear indicator....usually anyways. Maybe he'll be the exception :dunno: (unlikely)

My thoughts exactly. 

Given our QB history, I'd say there is just as good of a chance that JG reaches his potential as there is of our 2019 QB being someone who's name has yet to be mentioned on this board at all

The difference is that we now have as couple really good QB coaches on staff

• Like 5

Joey Gatewood’s offer to watch

The central figure of Auburn’s 2018 recruiting class picked up a big offerThursday, though there might’ve been some confusion about when he actually received it.

Alabama offensive line coach Brent Key swung by Bartram Trail in Jacksonville, Fla., to let Gatewood’s high school coaches know that the quarterback has a spot in the Crimson Tide’s 2018 class if he wants it.

The interesting element: Alabama said the offer had been extended a year prior.

“I think they offered last year, but there wasn’t much communication so [Key] reaffirmed it to me again today,” Gatewood told SEC Country shortly after picking up the offer.

Gatewood had mentioned Alabama’s offer to me for a while.

Not that it will alter his commitment in any way, but it’s a place he has interest in finding out more about. Gatewood said he’ll “probably” visit Alabama this summer. That comment alone will likely worry many in the Auburn community.

For now, however, there shouldn’t be anything to worry about, simply something to watch.

Worth noting: This all comes on the heels of Auburn electing to take two quarterbacks in the 2018 class.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

The difference is that we now have as couple really good QB coaches on staff

Who besides CL?  You talking bout Al?

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Not that it will alter his commitment in any way, but it’s a place he has interest in finding out more about. Gatewood said he’ll “probably” visit Alabama this summer. That comment alone will likely worry many in the Auburn community.

For now, however, there shouldn’t be anything to worry about, simply something to watch.

Worth noting: This all comes on the heels of Auburn electing to take two quarterbacks in the 2018 class.

Have to commend SEC Country on an excellent job of stirring the pot there.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Yes

He will supposedly be working mainly with Coach Porter with the TEs & HBs though.

27 minutes ago, ellitor said:

He will supposedly be working mainly with Coach Porter with the TEs & HBs though.

You are correct. However, you utilize the tools you have. Al will be a sounding board for a lot of the coaches.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, bigbird said:

You are correct. However, you utilize the tools you have. Al will be a sounding board for a lot of the coaches.

Bird- do you know borges personally, how good is he? Always like to hear background on our coaches

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

Never said they were highly valued. If they were highly valued  they almost always know. The AU staff would make sure of that.

Of course they would. As in, a player of Gatewood's stature would certainly be made aware, many times, that any school that's offered him is very interested. The idea of Gatewood getting an offer and not knowing it is beyond the pale.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Of course they would. As in, a player of Gatewood's stature would certainly be made aware, many times, that any school that's offered him is very interested. The idea of Gatewood getting an offer and not knowing it is beyond the pale.

Just because he's a high valued to us doesn't mean he was highly valued to Bama. If he was highly valued to them they would not let him go a week, much less a year without it being made clear to him he had an offer. It's possible he is highly valued to them now but for a year he clearly wasn't if the parts quoted are true.

Like I said earlier, we have a recruit or 2 each year that has an AU offer that doesn't know it for a long time. Obviously if they were high valued targets they would know much sooner.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Certainly would be strange unless this is one of those little games of ...:"   the reason we did not get him is that we did not pursue him"  .or some kind of 'dangle" to see how he responds before they actually make a committable offer....whatever that is?    otherwise...:dunno:

9 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Certainly would be strange unless this is one of those little games of ...:"   the reason we did not get him is that we did not pursue him"  .or some kind of 'dangle" to see how he responds before they actually make a committable offer....whatever that is?    otherwise...:dunno:

It was an offer to get the foot in the door in case they wanted him down the line but communication just got lost. Each school gives over a hundred offers each year just to get the foot in the door in case the team decides they want the recruit later down the line or want to be in the hunt in case something happens.

I doubt Bammer is interested in him other than to jack with Auburn.  On a side note, is there a way to tell if a school's offer is a commitable offer?  Lots of prospects have a ton of offers, but I doubt if all are commitable when it comes right down to it. 

52 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

I doubt Bammer is interested in him other than to jack with Auburn.  On a side note, is there a way to tell if a school's offer is a commitable offer?  Lots of prospects have a ton of offers, but I doubt if all are commitable when it comes right down to it. 

From a fans perspective just have to read the tea leaves unless a reporter says an offer isn't commitable.

18 minutes ago, ellitor said:

From a fans perspective just have to read the tea leaves unless a reporter says an offer isn't commitable.

Who would actually know...I mean, is it is writing or what?    Kids will believe what they want to believe and I'm of the view that any school that makes an uncommittable offer will not admit it openly to the public and will freely mislead kids about how serious their intent is.    As you note, lots of schools make a huge number of "offers" and in the vast majority of cases they have no intent of honoring them.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, AU64 said:

Who would actually know...I mean, is it is writing or what?    Kids will believe what they want to believe and I'm of the view that any school that makes an uncommittable offer will not admit it openly to the public and will freely mislead kids about how serious their intent is.    As you note, lots of schools make a huge number of "offers" and in the vast majority of cases they have no intent of honoring them.

The recruits themselves usually actually know. For example. if a school gives an offer by saying we need you to camp with us or come in for a visit. That means the offer is not commitable til the recruit shows out at a camp with the school or comes in to visit. After the recruits, info comes from sources close to them or the team. That's often where reporters subsequently we fans get info from.

On the school public comment part remember schools can not comment at all on a recruit til the recruit has signed or enrolled.

Your comments are putting onus and blame on the schools when the reality is it's a big game of being coy on both sides with the recruits being just as culpable. Make no mistake about it. Recruits hold a lot of cards in the recruiting game. For many recruits they won't consider many schools in their minds or not have them higher on their list if the school's offers, which often only get them in the door, is not early enough for the recruit's taste. For example, Asa Martin is a top RB target AU wants but we are #2 on his list right now behind Florida mainly because it bothered him we did not make him a priority earlier in the cycle. Often times these recruits are pampered beyond belief by schools just to stay in a good spot on the recruit's list so please don't paint them out to be victims in the recruiting game. Yes there are a few rough stories at the end of the cycle each year for recruits but those are the exceptions, not the norm.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

The recruits themselves usually actually know. For example. if a school gives an offer by saying we need you to camp with us or come in for a visit. That means the offer is not commitable til the recruit shows out at a camp with the school or comes in to visit. After the recruits, info comes from sources close to them or the team. That's often where reporters subsequently we fans get info from.

On the school public comment part remember schools can not comment at all on a recruit til the recruit has signed or enrolled.

Your comments are putting onus and blame on the schools when the reality is it's a big game of being coy on both sides with the recruits being just as culpable. Make no mistake about it. Recruits hold a lot of cards in the recruiting game. For many recruits they won't consider many schools in their minds or not have them higher on their list if the school's offers, which often only get them in the door, is not early enough for the recruit's taste. For example, Asa Martin is a top RB target AU wants but we are #2 on his list right now behind Florida mainly because it bothered him we did not make him a priority earlier in the cycle. Often times these recruits are pampered beyond belief by schools just to stay in a good spot so on the recruit's list so please don't paint them out to be victims in the recruiting game. Yes there are a few rough stories at the end of the cycle each year for recruits but those are the exceptions, not the norm.

I agree completely, with one caveat. In addition to the schools and recruits are the recruiting services. What used to be a yearly magazine and 30 minute show by Forest Davis is now a multi-million dollar industry with heavy hitters like ESPN, CBS Sports, and Yahoo. All of them have their agendas. The more drama created by the services, the better. For some, it's almost like the entertainment of the recruiting process is more fun to watch than the game on Saturday. 

3 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I agree completely, with one caveat. In addition to the schools and recruits are the recruiting services. What used to be a yearly magazine and 30 minute show by Forest Davis is now a multi-million dollar industry with heavy hitters like ESPN, CBS Sports, and Yahoo. All of them have their agendas. The more drama created by the services, the better. For some, it's almost like the entertainment of the recruiting process is more fun to watch than the game on Saturday. 

We are talking about 17-18 year old kids here. Media don't have to & aren't creating the drama but just covering teenagers which is drama by nature.

Edited by ellitor

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

We are talking about 17-18 year old kids here. Media don't have to & aren't creating the drama but just covering teenagers which is drama by nature.

And therein lies the problem as you note.    but in my observations is is almost always the adults involved who create the issues ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

And therein lies the problem as you note.    but in my observations is is almost always the adults involved who create the issues ...

The system itself has created the issues not the coaches.