2018 4* QB Joey Gatewood (Auburn 12/5/15)

RunInRed

Just now, auburn4ever said:

Other than Joey, who has a strong chance of being the 2nd QB we'll sign for the 2018 class?

Hopefully the real deal Justin Fields!!

• Like 1

I have a question,if JG can not start at his school over the other QB at his school why are we not recruiting the other QB?

2 minutes ago, kd4au said:

I have a question,if JG can not start at his school over the other QB at his school why are we not recruiting the other QB?

They are sharing snaps so the other kid isnt necessarily starting over him and the other kid doesn't have any power five conference offers.

2 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Other than Joey, who has a strong chance of being the 2nd QB we'll sign for the 2018 class?

To Be Determined. Nobody is in the strong chance department right now.

2 hours ago, kd4au said:

Different kind of QBs and at the moment Riley Smith is a small college talent, not a major college talent...And they are supposedly splitting reps at QB this season.

• Like 1

I am sure I am the only dummy on this forum.  What does the player have to do to get to the Elite 11 Finals?

How much is skills based vs athleticism I guess is my curious question?

Edited by Beaker

3 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I am sure I am the only dummy on this forum.  What does the player have to do to get to the Elite 11 Finals?

How much is skills based vs athleticism I guess is my curious question?

They have to throw well enough at one of the regional camps for The Opening to be invited. Joey did not qualify in the Orlando regional but came back & qualified at the Charlotte regional. The finals of the Elite 11 is a camp heavily emphasized on throwing more than athleticism.

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

They have to throw well enough at one of the regional camps for The Opening to be invited. Joey did not qualify in the Orlando regional but came back & qualified at the Charlotte regional. The finals of the Elite 11 is a camp heavily emphasized on throwing more than athleticism.

Well I think that is great!  Great for him and nothing like a little pressure and heat to amp it up.  I know the Elite 11 is full of many disappointments (Zeke Pike) and countless others from UF and Bama, but it is a nice indicator and great experience for Joey.   War Eagle!   Go light it up Gatewood!!

• Like 1

Gatewood, Smith embrace 2-QB plan at Bartram Trail

At Batram Trail High, Auburn commit Joey Gatewood isn't the only Division-I bound QB on the roster.

Keith Niebuhr

ST. JOHNS, Fla., — After splitting time at quarterback during each of his three previous seasons, is this the year Auburn commit Joey Gatewood of Bartram Trail High finally gets all the reps to himself on Friday nights?

Probably not.

In fact, Gatewood once again is expected to split time with another player. But according to Bears coach Darrell Sutherland, that isn’t anything that should concern people. The reason: The quarterback who will share reps with Gatewood, Riley Smith, holds 26 offers himself.

“I’m a high school coach and we’re a high school program and we’ve got two young men who are going to play Division I football,” Sutherland said. “Philosophically, fundamentally, I don’t think it’s right to say, ‘Alright, you’re going to do this’ and then say to the other one, ‘Sorry.’ My job as a high school coach is to develop young men and to give them the opportunity to be successful. Not just one young man, but all the young men in our program.”

Gatewood, a 4-star recruit and Under Amour All-American, is the better known of the two. He started landing offers as a freshman and committed to Auburn about a month after finishing his sophomore season.

In three seasons, he has thrown for 1,791 yards with 12 touchdowns and six interceptions on 151-of-263 passing (57 percent). His completion percentage has risen dramatically each season.

Additionally, Gatewood has rushed for 2,283 yards and 23 touchdowns and caught 27 passes for 336 yards. (When Gatewood isn't playing quarterback, he's usually still on the field).

Last year, Gatewood and Smith not only split time with each other, but a third quarterback, Jordan Smith, who signed with FBS Gardner-Webb. While Gatewood was 59 of 87 for 716 yards, Riley Smith competed 87 of 132 passes for 1,122 yards with 11 touchdowns and seven interceptions.

As Gatewood noted, Smith, a 3-star recruit, is “really good. He’s got a big arm, great accuracy, good feet.”

At last check, Smith was waiting for his first offer from a Power 5 school. Asked if Smith had the ability to play at that level, Gatewood responded, “I can see it.”

According to Gatewood, splitting time with other quarterbacks took getting used to for him.

“I don’t see where it cannot bother you because I want to play (QB) the whole game,” Gatewood said. “But it’s what I’ve been doing since when I first got to high school. With me and Riley, we’re both talented. It has nothing to do with skill set.”

That competition hasn’t hindered him, but helped him, Gatewood insisted. Smith and Sutherland shared the sentiment.

“Oh yeah,” Smith said. “Just our competitive level throughout every practice. We’re always competing with each other. We’re always congratulating each other. I think it will make us better in the long run when we get to college and will have to compete again for a spot.”

For Sutherland, having two quality quarterbacks isn’t a problem, it’s a blessing. And, he doesn’t think the fact they split reps hurts either.

“To me, it’s about the drive to get better,” Sutherland said.

According to Smith, the two quarterbacks pull for each other and bonded long ago.

“It happened right away,” Smith said. “We both have competitive natures but we’ve been friends since middle school.”

With Gatewood having to split reps, at times the thought of transferring admittedly crossed his mind in the past. That neither he nor Smith left Bartram Trail speaks to the dedication both players have to the program, according to Sutherland.

“To me, that should be something colleges should be lauding these guys for,” Sutherland said. “In an era when if it’s not perfect, go, go somewhere else, these men have committed to being here because they are loyal to the program and loyal to their teammates, they’re loyal to the process. That should make a college excited. … If I’m Auburn personally I’m excited about the fact Joey’s still here. You’ve got a guy that has had every opportunity to leave and has had everybody try to encourage him to leave and instead he stayed here and did what he thinks is right.”

At Bartram Trail, Gatewood and Smith are not Sutherland’s first quality quarterback recruits. He previously coached Kyle Parker, who started at Clemson, and Nathan Peterman, a fifth-round pick by Buffalo this spring.

Last fall, Peterman took the Bartram Trail quarterbacks to breakfast to have a talk.

“Part of the conversation he had with them, value what you have here because this is what it’s going to be like when you get to college,” Sutherland said. “He told them you’re going to have a QB room full of guys that are great, that are competitors and it’s going to be your job to compete with them, not against them.”

This spring, one major college after the other stopped by Bartram Trail to scout both quarterbacks. Florida, North Carolina and Pittsburgh are among the schools who potentially could be close to offering the 6-feet-4, 200-pound Smith.

“He’s really good,” Sutherland said. “No doubt he can play at a major program.”

In Gatewood, Sutherland said he has seen great improvement both on and off the field. Gatewood meets with his coach every morning to go over the offense. He has become more of a vocal leader. And technically, things are coming along nicely.

“From a maturity standpoint, I see a lot of leadership there,” Sutherland said. “He’s matured a lot and that’s what high school is about. And he’s gifted. His arm is strong. I’ve never seen anybody with the arm talent he has.”

As much as anyone, Gatewood has impressed his competitor and teammate, Smith.

“He’s the most athletic guy on any field you step on,” Smith said. “He can make plays and extend plays and make plays if they blow up. He’s the best at getting outside the pocket and finding a receiver downfield.”

Joey Gatewood receives high honor

Auburn’s quarterback commit will have the opportunity to silence any and all doubters.

Joey Gatewood has had to deal with critics throughout his entire recruitment. He can’t even start for his high school team. He’d be better as a wide receiver or tight end at the next level. He’s more of an athlete than a quarterback. These are all criticisms — mostly uninformed — that Gatewood has grown tired of since committing to Auburn.

On Monday, he was invited to the Elite 11 camp that helps crown the nation’s top-preforming quarterback in each recruiting cycle.

He’ll have the chance to compete against the nation’s top signal callers and let everyone know that the negativity is unwarranted. It’ll also give him an opportunity, once and for all, to show Auburn that he truly is its go-to guy in the 2018 class, as he’ll go up against some other quarterbacks the Tigers have interest in such as Justin Fields and Emory Jones.

Here’s a full list of all the quarterbacks invited to the Elite 11 camp:

• Gerry Bohanon, uncommitted
  • Carter Bradley, uncommitted
  • Cammon Cooper, uncommitted
  • Matthew Corral, Southern Cal
  • Justin Fields, Penn State
  • James Foster, Missouri
  • Joey Gatewood, Auburn
  • Emory Jones, Ohio State
  • Dakereon Joyner, uncommitted
  • Trevor Lawrence, Clemson
  • Devin Leary, North Carolina State
  • Jalen Mayden, uncommitted
  • Tanner McKee, uncommitted
  • Joe Milton, Michigan
  • Re-al Mitchell, Iowa State
  • Quincy Patterson II, Virginia Tech
  • Justin Rogers, uncommitted
  • Tyler Shough, uncommitted
  • Jacob Sirmon, Washington
  • Blake Stenstrom, Colorado
  • Dorian Thompson-Robinson, UCLA
  • Jack Tuttle, Utah
  • Jack West, Stanford
  • Jarren Williams, Kentucky
  • Colson Yankoff, Washington

The Elite 11 Finals will take place June 2-4 in Los Angeles. That means Gatewood’s calendar will be booked for Big Cat Weekend, so don’t mark down the Auburn commit for recruiting purposes on those dates.

If he makes the top 11, Gatewood will qualify for the Opening Finals, where the Elite 11 quarterbacks will compete for the No. 1 honor.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Gatewood, Smith embrace 2-QB plan at Bartram Trail

You have to think that the fact that he has a solid commitment to the school he wants to play for played a big roll in his decision to not transfer. If he was still vying for a spot, sharing reps with a 3-star is a no-win situation. Since he's locked in at Auburn, it really doesn't matter if he outplays Smith, but if he was trying to prove himself, I can't imagine anything hurting his case more than getting outplayed by someone who is ranked quite a bit lower than him.

It will be interesting to see if the coach sticks with his 2-QB plan if one starts to really outshine the other.

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Joey Gatewood receives high honor

I'm happy for Joey, but it sucks that he won't be able to recruit for us during Big Cat.  Maybe he'll Skype in from the Elite 11.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Since he's locked in at Auburn, it really doesn't matter if he outplays Smith, but if he was trying to prove himself, I can't imagine anything hurting his case more than getting outplayed by someone who is ranked quite a bit lower than him.

He needs game reps in order to help himself win the job at AU. Hopefully half a season of them will be enough :/

The real question is: will this guy stay and change positions, if B. Nix comes in and beats him out for QB? Even if he slides down the depth chart and into another position, he can still make a great TE or WR.

20 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

The real question is: will this guy stay and change positions, if B. Nix comes in and beats him out for QB? Even if he slides down the depth chart and into another position, he can still make a great TE or WR.

I wouldn't have a choice . Realistically , he has to look at alternatives based on targets we have on our board for the QB position .

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

He needs game reps in order to help himself win the job at AU. Hopefully half a season of them will be enough :/

On the bright side... hopefully we won't need him at QB in 2019, and he can get reps at Auburn.

45 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

On the bright side... hopefully we won't need him at QB in 2019, and he can get reps at Auburn.

True, and he might have a true QB coach. He's got the frame and, by all accounts, the right attitude. But we can say the same about Willis and Nix. Good problems! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I agree on this. Id love to see our staff develop develop JG into what he has the potential to. It'll be interesting to watch.

13 hours ago, bigbird said:

Well, we finally have a few capable of do that...IMO

There you go talking cajun again.....:corndog:

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Charhair said:

I agree on this. Id love to see our staff develop develop JG into what he has the potential to. It'll be interesting to watch.

The problem is with his size and athleticism his potential is for multiple positions. He might develop into a great QB but size and athleticism alone is not what  makes a great  QB. Long term he might be better off in a different position. I am not suggesting he move and I am not saying he won't become a great QB but there have been a lot of players over the years who didn't make it to the NFL because they wanted to be a QB who might have made it there in a different position. Good coaching will help and I think we have a good one but even that is not always the case.

51 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

The problem is with his size and athleticism his potential is for multiple positions. He might develop into a great QB but size and athleticism alone is not what  makes a great  QB. Long term he might be better off in a different position. I am not suggesting he move and I am not saying he won't become a great QB but there have been a lot of players over the years who didn't make it to the NFL because they wanted to be a QB who might have made it there in a different position. Good coaching will help and I think we have a good one but even that is not always the case.

One thing that he has going for him is that he seems athletic and versatile enough to stick with the QB thing for a couple years and, if it's not working out, move after his redshirt freshman or sophomore year and still have a couple years to develop into an NFL player at his new position. Especially since he's already got experience elsewhere on the field. Lots of guys have done it, or even been drafted at a different position after playing QB in college. Nick Marshall is far from alone in that regard.

Who knows, Gatewood could follow Trey Burton's career path, but hopefully it wouldn't involve a coaching change in college and instead would involve getting drafted. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I'm not suggesting leaving him on the bench at QB until he decides to transfer or graduate. 

But assuming QB is the position JG wants to play when he gets here, I think it would be a huge waste of talent to not put him there at first. Even if it's against Malik, Stidham, Fields (just throwing that in the mix for fun) with Nix committed, JG could still come out on top when it's all said and done if he's properly developed. 

i think it wouldn't be as likely as someone like Fields and would be a longer process and a bigger project than the other names mentioned but Malik only had a year of QB1 coming in and most of us love what we've seen from him so far. 

Other than not being QB1 in HS, JG looks like a great prospect to bring in at QB. 6'4 230, can run and sling the ball down field, we're finally (somewhat) confident in our ability to develop QBs. 

Edited by Charhair

17 hours ago, bigbird said:

Well, we finally have a few capable of do that...IMO

4 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

There you go talking cajun again.....:corndog:

Yeah. Like what the hell does that mean? :dunno:

Edited by SumterAubie