2018 4* QB Joey Gatewood (Auburn 12/5/15)

RunInRed

2 hours ago, WFE12 said:

2 hours ago, WFE12 said:

From what I've heard and seen he's not cracked up to be much at QB as experts have implied. Like you say though..A redshirt season could really help him out. But we also need to factor in willis too. 

We don't know how good he could be if given full time status as a starter! I haven't seen where anyone say he's not a good  qb or not cracked up to be one! He is too valuable to his team not to play all over for them at positions with greater needs than qb that give them better chance to win games! 

17 minutes ago, toddc said:

We don't know how good he could be if given full time status as a starter! I haven't seen where anyone say he's not a good  qb or not cracked up to be one! He is too valuable to his team not to play all over for them at positions with greater needs than qb that give them better chance to win games! 

Ok......lol no need to take your frustration out on me. Don't shoot the messenger..

18 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Ok......lol no need to take your frustration out on me. Don't shoot the messenger..

I'm not trying to attack anyone, I was just disagreeing with your first statement!

1 hour ago, toddc said:

I'm not trying to attack anyone, I was just disagreeing with your first statement!

My stepbrother's son(my nephew in a sense) will be a Freshman at Bartram and told me pretty much the same thing. Gatewood is playing behind a seasoned senior QB and they are using his versatility to at various positions to the fullest. I think it's quite premature to right him off as a quality QB at this point.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Beaker said:

If you can, go watch his video again.   You will see why he plays all over the field.  If I was his coach and had someone who could toss it, I would play Joey elsewhere also.  He looks like superman at the HS level.  

I was being a bit facetious considering the number of times it's been mentioned that he won't be the starter for his HS team.    He's a stud and I'm glad to have him but I'm hoping that the Lindsey offense will shine this season so that we can recruit stud polished QBs going forward.  It makes their likelihood of success higher. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, 1auburn1 said:

I was being a bit facetious considering the number of times it's been mentioned that he won't be the starter for his HS team.    He's a stud and I'm glad to have him but I'm hoping that the Lindsey offense will shine this season so that we can recruit stud polished QBs going forward.  It makes their likelihood of success higher. 

Why not both? If we also get Fields, we'd have both a stud polished QB and one that needs more development, but might have an even higher ceiling.

Both would be great and a "get" like Fields is exactly what I'm talking about.      Developing DITRs at the QB position to play in the SEC is a low probability situation.    NM aside, it doesn't happen often.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tigereye78 said:

My stepbrother's son(my nephew in a sense) will be a Freshman at Bartram and told me pretty much the same thing. Gatewood is playing behind a seasoned senior QB and they are using his versatility to at various positions to the fullest. I think it's quite premature to right him off as a quality QB at this point.

This would be great news if we were recruiting an "athlete". Sad to say, we are recruiting a QB and he needs to be getting snaps at that position. It's a very, very rare situation when a team doesn't get the most wins by playing their best QB at QB. Something is off-center there, I'm just not in a position to know what's wrong. Best, uninformed guess is the coach is thinkin' too much.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Mikey said:

This would be great news if we were recruiting an "athlete". Sad to say, we are recruiting a QB and he needs to be getting snaps at that position. It's a very, very rare situation when a team doesn't get the most wins by playing their best QB at QB. Something is off-center there, I'm just not in a position to know what's wrong. Best, uninformed guess is the coach is thinkin' too much.

I may be thinking too much also but I think the coach may be thinking about what is best for all of his players and not just one. If the other QB was not playing QB then the other QB would not be playing at all and would not have the scholarship offers that he has. The best thing for AU would be for Joey to be getting all the QB reps but Joey's coach don't work for AU he works for Bartram and his priority is, and should be, all of his kids at Bartram. Also, most HS coaches default to playing their best athlete at QB. This coach has the luxury of playing his best athlete everywhere because he has another guy who happens to be a legit D-1 QB himself.

Edited by PotPot
Added last sentence
  • Like 2

Old but IDC. He is all AU. I love how much he reps AU. He is one of our hardcore recruiters in this class with shivers. So glad we have a bird in the hand and all our eggs are not in the fields basket. GUS IS LEARNING!!!! YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!! FINALLY!!!! I personally think he is going to be a stud. A redshirt season will do him a world of good. I hate he has not been the every snap starter. It is beyond annoying at this point but nothing we can do about it now. I still think he will be a really good! WAR DAMN JOEY G!

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 7

11 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Old but IDC. He is all AU. I love how much he reps AU. He is one of our hardcore recruiters in this class with shivers. So glad we have a bird in the hand and all our eggs are not in the fields basket. GUS IS LEARNING!!!! YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!! FINALLY!!!! I personally think he is going to be a stud. A redshirt season will do him a world of good. I hate he has not been the every snap starter. It is beyond annoying at this point but nothing we can do about it now. I still think he will be a really good! WAR DAMN JOEY G!

Yup! Joey will be an impact player at AU whether it be at QB, WR, or Flex TE.

tumblr_m856beoJSc1rqjeir.gif

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Never once doubted this kid! War Eagle JG

7 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Gatewood squatting 520 as a QB?

imagegif

He could end up at QB, WR, ot Flex TE. He's a helluva athlete.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

He could end up at QB, WR, ot Flex TE. He's a helluva athlete.

I'm sure he can do well at either position but I'm personally pulling for him at QB. The potential at QB is off the charts. He can be a TE or WR sure but I just don't know if his talents can be utilized enough in our offense.

9 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I'm sure he can do well at either position but I'm personally pulling for him at QB. The potential at QB is off the charts. He can be a TE or WR sure but I just don't know if his talents can be utilized enough in our offense.

LOL TE!!! Don't make jokes like that while we are eating.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

It will be interesting to see what are new offense is actually gonna be like

• Like 1

5 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

I'm sure he can do well at either position but I'm personally pulling for him at QB.

Me too! He's been soo loyal to AU the past 20+ months that I want to see him grow at his position of choice.

5 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

I just don't know if his talents can be utilized enough in our offense.

If Gus let's Chip drive the car I think it can if he were to end up somewhere besides QB.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 2