2018 4* QB Joey Gatewood (Auburn 12/5/15)

RunInRed

i'll feel a lot better about bringing in these type of QBs once i feel more confident we have a QB coach who can develop them. But we are probably a couple years a away from knowing how well or new OC can develop HS QBs. Gatewood could easily be the next Cam or the next Woody. Just no way of knowing.....

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, gravejd said:

i'll feel a lot better about bringing in these type of QBs once i feel more confident we have a QB coach who can develop them. But we are probably a couple years a away from knowing how well or new OC can develop HS QBs. Gatewood could easily be the next Cam or the next Woody. Just no way of knowing.....

I doubt very much he'll be either.  Cam was a once in a lifetime kind of talent. No one should be expected to live up to that.  As for Woody, we already know that Joey has a great attitude, so there's no way he is a Woody.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

Didn't tubbs recruit cam as a TE?

No. It was Phillip Rivers that both AU and UAT wanted as a TE. Richt recruited Cam as a TE at UGA.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I doubt very much he'll be either.  Cam was a once in a lifetime kind of talent. No one should be expected to live up to that.  As for Woody, we already know that Joey has a great attitude, so there's no way he is a Woody.

Yes!  Almost every player in the history of CF will fall somewhere between Cam and Woody.  We should never expect any player ever to be "the next Cam" and hope that none of our players will be "the next Woody". 

Joey could be a great QB. Or he could be a very good athlete who never found that right positional fit. Let's hope for scenario A. ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Yes!  Almost every player in the history of CF will fall somewhere between Cam and Woody.  We should never expect any player ever to be "the next Cam" and hope that none of our players will be "the next Woody". 

Joey could be a great QB. Or he could be a very good athlete who never found that right positional fit. Let's hope for scenario A. ?

Not trying to speak for Gravejd, but I took his post to be more about developing QB's. and if CCL is going to be that guy that can develop them.

23 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

it's funny I truly believe Cam was a once in a lifetime  talent  but in the last 6 months I've seen DeShaun Watson and Justin fields called a once in a lifetime  kinda player.  thats 3 lifetimers in 6 months. my cup truly flowith over on witnessing such players.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, lutzcammed said:

it's funny I truly believe Cam was a once in a lifetime  talent  but in the last 6 months I've seen DeShaun Watson and Justin fields called a once in a lifetime  kinda player.  thats 3 lifetimers in 6 months. my cup truly flowith over on witnessing such players.

People love to speak/write with hyperbole, especially in the media... even more so the sports media.

Watson is great, but he's no Cam.  Since Cam, they have tried to label several QBs the next Cam... none have quite lived up to the hype. They are all great, but none of them are the freak athlete that Cam is.  It's just like there's never been another Bo. There have been loads of amazing running backs, but none who are the freak of nature that he is.

Fields is just a senior in high school. Anyone labeling him a once in a lifetime player is doing him a disservice. Let the kid play a few years in college and we'll see just how great he is. I honestly think Gatewood has a better shot of being a phenom. Fields is already a stellar, polished QB, but Gatewood has the freak athleticism that, if he can harness it, can take him to rare places.

Cam is like Lebron. It's debatable if they are from this earth. 

Cam Newton is a freak. You're not supposed to be that coordinated, agile, fast, or quick at his height and weight with that type of arm talent. That combination is what makes him a "once in a lifetime" type of player. 

Watson was incredible there is no doubt about it. But he is merely a mortal.

Edited by Tiger
  • Like 3

It's funny how that happens. 

In 1980, When Hershell Walker became the freakish athlete he was, there had never been anything like him nor did anyone ever expect to see another one like him. 2 years later the world was introduced to Bo Jackson who as impossible as it may have seemed, was even better and more freakish than Hershell. It's now been 32 years since the last time Bo ran the ball at JHS. And no one has even come close to his freakosity!

2009 sealed the career of the most freakish DTQB the SEC had ever seen. The very next year,  a young Cameron J. Newton blew Tim Tebow out of the water with his freak show display of athleticism at the college level.  As it was with Bo, we'll see dozens and dozens of great QBs, but never in our lifetimes see another one that mesmerizes us like Cam.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

It's funny how that happens. 

In 1980, When Hershell Walker became the freakish athlete he was, there had never been anything like him nor did anyone ever expect to see another one like him. 2 years later the world was introduced to Bo Jackson who as impossible as it may have seemed, was even better and more freakish than Hershell. It's now been 32 years since the last time Bo ran the ball at JHS. And no one has even come close to his freakosity!

2009 sealed the career of the most freakish DTQB the SEC had ever seen. The very next year,  a young Cameron J. Newton blew Tim Tebow out of the water with his freak show display of athleticism at the college level.  As it was with Bo, we'll see dozens and dozens of great QBs, but never in our lifetimes see another one that mesmerizes us like Cam.   

How great would it be if history kept repeating itself and all of the truly once in a lifetime athletes called Auburn home? Time for the greatest receiver of all time to step up :)

• Like 3
  • Love 2

I don't know if Watson was spoken of that way coming out of high school. Cam definitely wasn't. That's the difference with Fields. 

Y'all are right about hyperbole and letting the kid throw some college passes before getting carried away, but I have no problem believing that Fields is a much more complete quarterback than those guys were at that stage of their careers.

As for Tebow, he was a marketing department's wet dream and also very good at football.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I don't know if Watson was spoken of that way coming out of high school. Cam definitely wasn't. That's the difference with Fields. 

Y'all are right about hyperbole and letting the kid throw some college passes before getting carried away, but I have no problem believing that Fields is a much more complete quarterback than those guys were at that stage of their careers.

As for Tebow, he was a marketing department's wet dream and also very good at football.

Watson was definitely spoken of that way. He was a 5 star can't miss kid and he didn't miss.

• Like 1

I believe Bartrum Trail and Joey Gatewood are on msnespn 2 tonight! Vs Clemson qb commit Trevor Lawrence. Hope JG gets to play some qb

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, toddc said:

I believe Bartrum Trail and Joey Gatewood are on msnespn 2 tonight! Vs Clemson qb commit Trevor Lawrence. Hope JG gets to play some qb

Pretty good chance he will play some QB tonight.

33 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

If the weather cooperates 

The rain delay is killing me. 

37 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

The rain delay is killing me. 

Me too!

Just now, toddc said:

Me too!

*Conversation between girlfriend and I*

Her: What do you want to watch tonight?

Me: Well there's a high school football game I was planning on watching

Her: Oh okay

*I turn it on ESPN2 to see there's a rain delay*

Her: Let's watch Twilight on Freeform instead

Me: :brickwall:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yep on now Cartersville with the first possession and driving. Hope Joey lights it up.

Cartersville up 7-0.

Damn I can't wait until next week when my Huskies, and then Tigers the following day, kick off.