2018 4* QB Joey Gatewood (Auburn 12/5/15)

RunInRed

• Like 1

On 7/20/2017 at 1:58 PM, PotPot said:

I may be thinking too much also but I think the coach may be thinking about what is best for all of his players and not just one. If the other QB was not playing QB then the other QB would not be playing at all and would not have the scholarship offers that he has. The best thing for AU would be for Joey to be getting all the QB reps but Joey's coach don't work for AU he works for Bartram and his priority is, and should be, all of his kids at Bartram. Also, most HS coaches default to playing their best athlete at QB. This coach has the luxury of playing his best athlete everywhere because he has another guy who happens to be a legit D-1 QB himself.

Exactly. That's the impression I've been given. The coach may be fully aware of the raw QB talent JG has; but is making his decision based on what's best for his team overall. No matter what position JG ends up playing at Auburn; he will shine. WDE

1 minute ago, tigereye78 said:

Exactly. That's the impression I've been given. The coach may be fully aware of the raw QB talent JG has; but is making his decision based on what's best for his team overall. No matter what position JG ends up playing at Auburn; he will shine. WDE

He played NO other position but QB tonight. 

All good my man. I wish the other QB or Joey was on another team for Auburns sake so he could have ALL THE REPS.

• Like 1

No doubt. My Stepbrother's son(my nephew) is the QB for Bartram's JV team and unofficial 3rd string Varsity QB. He was on the sideline tonight charting offensive plays. I know he had to be thinking: "What the?" when they didn't put JG in on the goaline. That was a very winable game for all the reasons y'all have already mentioned. On a side note: I loved seeing JG wear the AU towel the whole game. WDE

Edited by tigereye78
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

9 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Most accurate and polished High School QB I have ever seen. Mercy. He has pocket presence like a upper classmen for college. Thank goodness this is our last year playing Clemson. He can make every throw.

Based on this one performance, I have to agree.   Best high school QB that I have ever seen

I watched a lot of the game. Damn, Lawrence is the real deal. I hate him at Clemson. Just tired of Clemson being good. Gatewood is very athletic. He is a big axx dude. He will make AU better. Gatewood should have transferred to a better program this year like Trinity.

Edited by JFDTiger80
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

I watched a lot of the game. Damn, Lawrence is the real deal. I hate him at Clemson. Just tired of Clemson being good. Gatewood is very athletic. He is a big axx dude. He will make AU better. Gatewood should have transferred to a better program this year like Trinity.

This is my first time to watch JG live. It would be insane for him to play another position in college as some have said he might. He has freakish athleticism, but has much better body control and throwing finesse than I envisioned. After last night, I am very excited about having him locked in. It's a shame he won't be able to showcase his skills as much at Bartram, but can't wait for him to be at Auburn. All that said, Lawrence is the most accurate HS QB I have ever seen. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 4

Guess Joey apparently  likes his school, coach and fellow players and seems he has a larger view of HS than just a place to play football.  

Not putting himself  first....good for him.  He is going to do well in life...JMO.

• Like 7

It's one thing for him not to be playing QB, but it's an entirely different situation with not having him SOMEWHERE on the field! The coach is a moron. It's obvious that winning the game wasn't the priority.  You get the ball in that kids hands or at least make it an option! 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Guess Joey apparently  likes his school, coach and fellow players and seems he has a larger view of HS than just a place to play football.  

Not putting himself  first....good for him.  He is going to do well in life...JMO.

Probably similar reasons to why he's still committed to us. IIRC, he was a Rhett dude. Now he's going to go head to head with another world class QB when he gets to AU.

Speaking of, he's already got his spot at a blue blood program. Maybe he could grow a little more as a high school QB with more game reps, but clearly his rotation isn't preventing him from getting the college job he wants.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Probably similar reasons to why he's still committed to us. IIRC, he was a Rhett dude. Now he's going to go head to head with another world class QB when he gets to AU.

Speaking of, he's already got his spot at a blue blood program. Maybe he could grow a little more as a high school QB with more game reps, but clearly his rotation isn't preventing him from getting the college job he wants.

I will be thrilled if we land JF, but I was watching JG last night and imagining him with 20-25 more pounds in an RPO offense and I can't seeing him taking a backseat to anyone. Our future is very bright. WDE

• Like 1

Dude is one of the most pro Auburn recruits I've ever seen. Not sure we would have gotten Asa or Hill if not for Gatewood. JF would be very good but I personally think JG could be just as good if not better. I will root for him over anyone.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Honestly crazy that we're talking about two QB prospects this good in one class at Auburn.

With Malik already here and Bo Nix around the corner. Insane in a great way!:cool:

• Like 1
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

With Malik already here and Bo Nix around the corner. Insane in a great way!:cool:

After watching Gatewood last night, Fields is probably having second thoughts about Auburn, unless he really likes competition. Fields may be more polished and ready-to-play, but I can't see Gatewood sitting at Auburn for more than 1 season.

Unless Bartram's coach replaces Gus.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gatewood is a very good athlete. I agree Bartram is hurting his growth and his standings in the recruiting rankings. 

Still the recruiting services (in references to their abilities) have him ranked much higher than his playing time warrants. The announcers last night were spot on. How you can leave the most athletic person on the Bartram team on the bench? Beyond my comprehension to be sure,

The other Bartram QB was good, but he was not Gatewood good.

Edited by bikeriderga

Just finished watching the game. Some of you are too hard on the BT coach. They made a great comeback and fell just a bit short. Both BT QBs were effective and made plays. I'm excited for Gatewood but I don't know if he plays the whole game they win. He took a lot of big shots. He needs a better fitting helmet too. 

This kid going to Clemson, assuming he continues to develop is going to be all world. His throws are silly good, his pocket presence is stellar, and he could probably fit into any boy band if football doesn't work out. 

Edited by jared52
  • Like 1

I watched the game.  JG a very impressive young man in terms of athletic ability and maturity.  He never pouted about the rotation at QB, which I personally thought was insane.  He is going to be a great QB for us and a great leader.  After seeing him in action I don't much care about who else we get.  It's always nice to have a backup plan in case of injury but I have no doubt JG is going to be the man for us in a couple of years.  Fields and Nix can come on if they want to compete but after seeing Willis in the spring game and JG last night anybody else who wants the job is going to have to have Cam type ability if they want to win the job over those two.  I have seen the future and it is bright!  

• Like 3

Joey will be fine. he has had several outside QB "gurus" volunteer their time to him, because they know it will pay dividends later on.

His maturity, and not sulking, or questioning his coaches decisions are even bigger pluses than his performance.

Gonna be a stud, and will wait his turn to show it!

• Like 7