2018 4* QB Joey Gatewood (Auburn 12/5/15)

RunInRed

3 hours ago, weagl1 said:

I watched the game.  JG a very impressive young man in terms of athletic ability and maturity.  He never pouted about the rotation at QB, which I personally thought was insane.  He is going to be a great QB for us and a great leader.  After seeing him in action I don't much care about who else we get.  It's always nice to have a backup plan in case of injury but I have no doubt JG is going to be the man for us in a couple of years.  Fields and Nix can come on if they want to compete but after seeing Willis in the spring game and JG last night anybody else who wants the job is going to have to have Cam type ability if they want to win the job over those two.  I have seen the future and it is bright!  

I haven't seen Fields or Nix in a game yet, but Gatewood played like a Dak Prescott-Cam Newton-esque talent Friday night.

Probably need to take a 2nd QB in the 2018 class in case of injury, but I can't help but think the coaches are extremely happy with the QB already 100% committed.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, subterranean_jack said:

I haven't seen Fields or Nix in a game yet, but Gatewood played like a Dak Prescott-Cam Newton-esque talent Friday night.

Probably need to take a 2nd QB in the 2018 class in case of injury, but I can't help but think the coaches are extremely happy with the QB already 100% committed.

I like Dak as a comparison more than Cam, but he definitely seems to have better quickness and speed than Dak. Just a phenomenal athlete. 

JG is underrated. Not saying he is at a Justin Fields level yet, but they play at different schools, with different budgets.

PLus, being on Cam's 7 on 7 team has afforded JF the opportunities few kids are provided. Don't get it twisted, JF is the real deal. Can do it all, and do it now. 

The only thing JG has over JF is 2" of height, and 30lbs of muscle. Not anything to sneeze at when you play SEC football. 

They are both going to be great IMO. 

The one I want to see is Trevor Lawrence. He chose a league with perhaps 1/3 the talent he would see in the SEC. He plays in  a division that Cartersville can dominate in the playoffs with the kids they scout, and bring in. He would not have the #'s he does playing 7-A ball vs. 4-A ball IMO.

2 hours ago, Bo Duke said:

The one I want to see is Trevor Lawrence. He chose a league with perhaps 1/3 the talent he would see in the SEC. He plays in  a division that Cartersville can dominate in the playoffs with the kids they scout, and bring in. He would not have the #'s he does playing 7-A ball vs. 4-A ball IMO.

Bartram Trail vs Cartersville is available for replay on watchESPN. Lawrence is the REAL DEAL IMO. Doesn't matter what level he's playing.

• Like 2

Can we get a weekly highlight from Joey posted here?   That would be cool.

Actually, that would be way cool for each of the skill players who have highlights like RBs or receivers....heck I loved the Smoke highlights 10 days ago.   Please....

I love reading how Joey has started his last season.   Is he an early enrollee?   How cool would that be? 

Edited by Beaker

4 hours ago, Bo Duke said:

JG is underrated. Not saying he is at a Justin Fields level yet, but they play at different schools, with different budgets.

PLus, being on Cam's 7 on 7 team has afforded JF the opportunities few kids are provided. Don't get it twisted, JF is the real deal. Can do it all, and do it now. 

The only thing JG has over JF is 2" of height, and 30lbs of muscle. Not anything to sneeze at when you play SEC football. 

They are both going to be great IMO. 

Definitely not underrated. Us fans might've made a big deal about him splitting time at QB, but based on the scholarships and recruiting rankings he is far from underrated.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Definitely not underrated. Us fans might've made a big deal about him splitting time at QB, but based on the scholarships and recruiting rankings he is far from underrated.

Yeah that telecast was full of the entire ESPN staff of analysts gushing over JG and questioning the coach for rotating QBs.

4 hours ago, Beaker said:

Can we get a weekly highlight from Joey posted here?   That would be cool.

Actually, that would be way cool for each of the skill players who have highlights like RBs or receivers....heck I loved the Smoke highlights 10 days ago.   Please....

what?  You don't want weekly highlights of an OG?

50 minutes ago, WDEKC said:

Yeah that telecast was full of the entire ESPN staff of analysts gushing over JG and questioning the coach for rotating QBs.

Didn't get a chance to see the game but based off the analysis , his coach seems questionable at best .

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

what?  You don't want weekly highlights of an OG?

If they are like Calvin Ashley's highlights, then yes.    otherwise....meh, I am guilty as charged. :)

18 hours ago, DAG said:

He has been committed to us for over two years ! He tells every school not to even bother. So you can't go with the old "# of offers" test. There isn't a school in the country that would tell him no. Some might put the ATH tag on him, but I saw with my own eyes that he can play.

Kid threw 50 yds on a dime. Had OLB within reach, tucked it, turned and left him in his dust. He is 2"+ taller than JF, and like I said 30lbs of muscle stronger. 

Jf was sacked 4x vs. Rome. Rome is a good team, but Cartersville hasn't lost in over 3 years either. 

Is he really that far behind JF/TL? As a pocket passer, TL is awesome. They all do things well.

I just think JG does more things well than the others. He is just a baby at the position. He will have time to develop.

Not saying he is better than them now, but give him the same amount of coaching...I think he will be.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Bo Duke said:

He has been committed to us for over two years ! He tells every school not to even bother. So you can't go with the old "# of offers" test. There isn't a school in the country that would tell him no. Some might put the ATH tag on him, but I saw with my own eyes that he can play.

Kid threw 50 yds on a dime. Had OLB within reach, tucked it, turned and left him in his dust. He is 2"+ taller than JF, and like I said 30lbs of muscle stronger. 

Jf was sacked 4x vs. Rome. Rome is a good team, but Cartersville hasn't lost in over 3 years either. 

Is he really that far behind JF/TL? As a pocket passer, TL is awesome. They all do things well.

I just think JG does more things well than the others. He is just a baby at the position. He will have time to develop.

Not saying he is better than them now, but give him the same amount of coaching...I think he will be.

So that would be the opposite of being underrated, no? Or do we have two different definitions of what underrated means?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

So that would be the opposite of being underrated, no? Or do we have two different definitions of what underrated means?

He definitely misunderstood your post. 

20 minutes ago, Bo Duke said:

I think DAG was saying that everybody understands how good Joey is, which means he's not underrated.

I think it was mostly Auburn fans who freaked out over the split reps thing on his high school team, more from a player development perspective than because it's hosing his recruiting ranking. 

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I think DAG was saying that everybody understands how good Joey is, which means he's not underrated.

I think it was mostly Auburn fans who freaked out over the split reps thing on his high school team, more from a player development perspective than because it's hosing his recruiting ranking. 

Exactly! Most if many schools would love to have JG and his skill set right now. Our bunch is just so paranoid over the past two years and recent QB depth and development. Not to mention, we are all goo-goo eyed of JF. In actuality, we should consider ourselves lucky that JG stayed as loyal as he has been. I am looking forward to him on the plains.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Exactly! Most if many schools would love to have JG and his skill set right now. Our bunch is just so paranoid over the past two years and recent QB depth and development. Not to mention, we are all goo-goo eyed of JF. In actuality, we should consider ourselves lucky that JG stayed as loyal as he has been. I am looking forward to him on the plains.

Good point, I certainly asked why he was splitting reps with a kid with no P5 offers but it seems like it has more to do with the coach than it does JG. I would not have blamed him one bit if he started looking around once the Justin Fields love fest started and he seemed to be sort of like an afterthought. Although, I'm sure the coaches were not making him feel that way.

what's the old phrase, "a bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush"....and we have a winner with Joey.   If JF joins us, great.  If not, great, we have an extremely loyal talent in Joey.  I prefer JF to go outside the SEC if he does not choose the good guys.   I am thinking, maybe, maybe Oregon State.  Yeah, that sounds like a good 'fit'.   Actually Wash State - Mike Leach would know how to coach JF.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tiger said:

Good point, I certainly asked why he was splitting reps with a kid with no P5 offers but it seems like it has more to do with the coach than it does JG. I would not have blamed him one bit if he started looking around once the Justin Fields love fest started and he seemed to be sort of like an afterthought. Although, I'm sure the coaches were not making him feel that way.

Trust me, I am with you. I am guilty as hell of putting JG on the backburner when I heard we had mutual interest from JF...but you know what? JG deserves to be the priority. He stuck with us when we lost Rhett and very much so now that we are courting JF. I commend him for that because honestly, he could easily open up his recruiting and I would not blame him one bit.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, DAG said:

I think we are talking about different types of underrated. I'm talking about (and should have been specific) about AUC/247 having him at a 94, when he should be a 97/98 IMO. Sorry about that. I just think he has been committed to us so long that nobody evals him anymore for upgrades.

• Like 3

On 8/29/2017 at 3:19 PM, DAG said:

In actuality, we should consider ourselves lucky that JG stayed as loyal as he has been.

NAILED IT!!!!!  Recruiting is so focused on "the next guy" we rarely appreciate the guys like Joey who have been faithfully committed forever!  I am super pumped about Joey and his potential on the plains!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

NAILED IT!!!!!  Recruiting is so focused on "the next guy" we rarely appreciate the guys like Joey who have been faithfully committed forever!  I am super pumped about Joey and his potential on the plains!

Very true. We even do it to active players who have produced on Saturdays. 

Joey kind of reminds me of Cam with the way he runs. Now as far as throwing I would agree Dak. Joey has Cam like potential but will have to be developed. JF who reminds me of Deshaun Watson is ready now. 

• Like 2