2018 4* QB Joey Gatewood (Auburn 12/5/15)

RunInRed

18 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

Joey G doesn't need help, unless it's to get a higher recruiting ranking.  He had an offer and has accepted it from one of the top 15 programs in the history of college football - auburn.  What else does he need?

I don't think it's about recruiting, I think it's about development. Not sure if it's a big deal but it's at least a concern worthy of discussion IMO.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I don't think it's about recruiting, I think it's about development. Not sure if it's a big deal but it's at least a concern worthy of discussion IMO.

Maybe that but considering their dynamic offense I'm betting that JG gets about as many reps during most games as the typical QB who is the lone starter on many teams.   Consider too that JG is always fresh and rested when he goes into the game.....bet defenses are not all that happy about that.

10 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Maybe that but considering their dynamic offense I'm betting that JG gets about as many reps during most games as the typical QB who is the lone starter on many teams.   Consider too that JG is always fresh and rested when he goes into the game.....bet defenses are not all that happy about that.

On your first point, I had not considered that. I don't know what his actual stats are. As for your second point, that might be good for his team winning games- and I won't argue about that being best for his team- but that doesn't do much to alleviate Auburn fans' concerns about how much it helps Joey's development and maturation process. 

I don't have strong feelings one way or the other. Just mainly saying that I see both sides of it. I don't think Joey's high school coach is going to compromise his college career. I mean, the kid looks like a bonafide stud. Even with Joey's physical advantages, the coach has to be doing something right. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

On your first point, I had not considered that. I don't know what his actual stats are. As for your second point, that might be good for his team winning games- and I won't argue about that being best for his team- but that doesn't do much to alleviate Auburn fans' concerns about how much it helps Joey's development and maturation process. 

I don't have strong feelings one way or the other. Just mainly saying that I see both sides of it. I don't think Joey's high school coach is going to compromise his college career. I mean, the kid looks like a bonafide stud. Even with Joey's physical advantages, the coach has to be doing something right. 

agree and he might feel he "owes" it to the other kid who is pretty darned good also to give him a shot at a free education....and it's even possible the coach figures it best for his team to avoid having kids feel they have to transfer if they don't start right away.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

agree and he might feel he "owes" it to the other kid who is pretty darned good also to give him a shot at a free education....and it's even possible the coach figures it best for his team to avoid having kids feel they have to transfer if they don't start right away.

That's another great point I hadn't considered and an excellent example of why we need to remember that there are a million different motivations for the decisions people make, and we rarely have the capacity to consider very many of them. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Kid is dripping with "it factor" for sure. 

you hit the nail on the head and consider how he is recruiting and promoting Auburn....him and Newkirk are my two fav inbound players.  And Smoke.  Well and The Worm.  Martin is high up there too.  That's all.  Well Stutts kinda sticks out.  Those are my two favorites.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Beaker said:

you hit the nail on the head and consider how he is recruiting and promoting Auburn....him and Newkirk are my two fav inbound players.  And Smoke.  Well and The Worm.  Martin is high up there too.  That's all.  Well Stutts kinda sticks out.  Those are my two favorites.  

You can have as many favorites as you like...We won't stop you...?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Beaker said:

18 minutes ago, Tigerfinz said:

You can have as many favorites as you like...We won't stop you...?

Just don't call 'em man crushes or @ValleyTiger will have to intervene.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I'm thinking Gatewood is committed to AU more than gus, or any other coach.  So what do you guys "in the know" think a coaching change would do to our chances with Joey Ballgame?

I am not connected whatsoever but I think he truly just loves AU. Everyone thought he would waver because he was so connected and close to rhett but it turned out that he loved Auburn even more. I bet he would stick. IMO I am confident him and shaun shivers would stick. They love them some Auburn!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Kinda what I was thinking (and hoping) too, @GwillMac6

fsa.gif

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

IMG_1316.JPG

tenor.gif

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

Bump getting fields, we got our guy! Move that fields thread to rivals already!

Edited by WFE12
  • Like 1

Who wouldn't want to come to Auburn?   Stidham connected on like 32 passes and we have 2 QBs, period.  Our passing game is only going to develop and get better.  Now I have no comment about our receiving corps.    I said there were going to be great and after 5 fumbles, I am eating a serious dish of crow this week.

Edited by Beaker

4 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Who wouldn't want to come to Auburn?   Stidham connected on like 32 passes and we have 2 QBs, period.  Our passing game is only going to develop and get better.  Now I have no comment about our receiving corps.    I said there were going to be great and after 5 fumbles, I am eating a serious dish of crow this week.

Could be wrong but I see the game Saturday as an aberration and not likely to be repeated.  Good lesson for the WRs because the Mercer guys really went after the balls on their gang tackles.    Otherwise, some good catches by Hastings and also by Barrett on a couple not very convenient little swing passes.

I don't understand the abuse the receivers have gotten on here...

31 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Could be wrong but I see the game Saturday as an aberration and not likely to be repeated.  Good lesson for the WRs because the Mercer guys really went after the balls on their gang tackles.    Otherwise, some good catches by Hastings and also by Barrett on a couple not very convenient little swing passes.

I don't understand the abuse the receivers have gotten on here...

Not being picky, but I guess I am....1-3 fumbles is not goodt, but 5 is a travesty in a competitive game.  Just about any game, you have 3 TO, you will lose.   That is 3 additional possessions you give the bad guys and you remove all possible points from the good guys.  

This was supposed to be a coming out party of Lindsey's offense and the passing game was supposed to look sharp.  Or I was expecting them to from what we have been reading.  

And yes, let's all hope this was an aberration.   Additionally, let's hope they can start to make some separation.   And Stidham can start hitting them as they break, not waiting until they are WIDE OPEN.  

WDE!    Let's BEAT EVERYONE (in the SEC).  

Edited by Beaker
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I was coming over here to post this.

He will be the end of our RZ woes. Put this in the bank. 

12 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Prescott 2.0... there will never be another cam

Yep......Mullen needs to send out his bag man from his effort to recruit Cam  (Bond or whoever it was) and tell him to bring back Joey....he's the perfect guy for DM's offense.

1 hour ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Prescott 2.0... there will never be another cam

He is a hell of a lot bigger than Dak. Dak is only 6 ft 2 and joey g is a legit 6 ft 5.