2018 4* QB Joey Gatewood (Auburn 12/5/15)

RunInRed

42 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

I'm with you on that...we are spoiled with the Stidman. I don't want too much of a dropoff from a passer's aspect when he leaves.

And if we are worried about to many QBs on roster they have a way of finding themselves in other locations after a couple years figuring out the pecking order

• Like 1

7 hours ago, corchjay said:

Stud for sure.  Still think we need another quality QB.  However I think we need to add a pocket passer.  Actually 1 of each every year.  1 DT and 1 PP in each cycle.  If I were chip I'd be talking with E. Jones, M. Corral, and heck why not the kid for south alabama Jack West.  

Stidham is a DT QB.

Non DT QBs don’t score 16 yard rushing TDs against Bama. 

And Gatewood is legit. Been saying that for two years now and sticking to it

• Like 3

On 11/30/2017 at 3:36 PM, ellitor said:

Don't know who this guy is but he got Stidham's year wrong & I have not heard much from the AU program about him entering the 2018 draft.

I’m sure the coaches has a pulse on this and I feel Iike if JS was a big threat to jump, our coaches would be urgently recruiting another QB. I know we are still talking to Emory Jones, but it doesn’t seem like the coaches feel they have to have another QB in this class. If JS does return, our offense could be one for the ages. WDE!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, corchjay said:

Stud for sure.  Still think we need another quality QB.  However I think we need to add a pocket passer.  Actually 1 of each every year.  1 DT and 1 PP in each cycle.  If I were chip I'd be talking with E. Jones, M. Corral, and heck why not the kid for south alabama Jack West.  

7 hours ago, WFE12 said:

I'm with you on that...we are spoiled with the Stidman. I don't want too much of a dropoff from a passer's aspect when he leaves.

I agree with the sentiment we need to recruit good passers but I don't think we have to sign pocket QBs to do it like Jay is wanting every year. I've notice an increased passing ability from Dual QBs lately. There are a number in this class who are throwing at a 60-65% completion clip or better. That wasn't the case a couple years ago. We just have to do a good job of getting the duals who are already good passers.

• Like 4

Speaking of DT QB's after the game they were talking about all the players thuga had coming back and coming in and they named Justin Fields. I had forgotten about him.

• Angry 1

11 hours ago, milehighfan said:

Speaking of DT QB's after the game they were talking about all the players thuga had coming back and coming in and they named Justin Fields. I had forgotten about him.

Justin WHO???:dunno::drippingsarcasm7pa:

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 12:36 PM, ellitor said:

If he doesn't he could develop into an Evan Engram type of TE or big physical. WR.  Win-Win

Or into a Fitzgerald type QB.....lots of possibilities.   He doesn't have to be a JS type passer to wreak havoc on opponent defenses...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

He doesn't have to be a JS type passer to wreak havoc on opponent defenses...

Not at all but he does have to be adequate, especially in the SEC.

24 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not at all but he does have to be adequate, especially in the SEC.

True ..but he looks more than adequate to me but that is against HS competition of course......but I sure would not move him to TE or wherever before he even gets here.......wasn't that the plan for Cam at one school.....and maybe Tebow too.  Guys that didn't look like QBs are supposed to look.

And Mullen being at UF has me a bit concerned ....will JG be an early signee?  

Any new coach at the university in the state where a top recruit lives is going to make a call....the new coach at FSU will do the same...

I think JG is a full AU TIGER...best to him and his mates this week in the state 7A finals v. Venice...

43 minutes ago, AU64 said:

wasn't that the plan for Cam at one school.....and maybe Tebow too.

Not that I know of.

43 minutes ago, AU64 said:

will JG be an early signee?

giphy.gif

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not that I know of.

giphy.gif

yep...found the piece....recalled seeing it sometime back.....Cam was recruited by Georgia as a TE which is how he ended up at Florida....Big mistake by Richt or someone...

43 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

If JS goes pro

Not happening at this point.

43 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

would JG likely have the edge over MW going into his frosh season?

Nope. Joey barely got any snaps at QB before this season & had to split QB snaps this season. He would need a lot of work to pass MW in year 1.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

Nope. Joey barely got any snaps at QB before this season & had to split QB snaps this season. He would need a lot of work to pass MW in year 1.

Good to hear, because if JS somehow goes down or if by some chance does go pro, we are in some trouble. 

35 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Do we know what Gatewood thinks about the  Taggert hire?

I'm really not concerned about it. Jimbo was his contact there. Bama & UF are the teams trying to get in late.

• Thanks 1

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 6:17 AM, War to the Eagle said:
On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 11:27 PM, ellitor said:

Maybe I'm over cautious but this really worries me with JG.  The only QB we're bringing in (at this time) is a project IMO.    The words "would need a lot of work" doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling and MW, again IMO, is in the same boat.  So if JS goes down with an injury then we are up the creek but of course we've been in that boat all season. 

We really need another top QB in this class and preferably one that's further along in their skillset that could contribute if it came to that.  And this is no disrespect to JG or MW but this is the SEC.  But hey.....maybe I'm overreacting and everything will work out just fine.

9 hours ago, SouthGATiger said:

Maybe I'm over cautious but this really worries me with JG.  The only QB we're bringing in (at this time) is a project IMO.    The words "would need a lot of work" doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling and MW, again IMO, is in the same boat.  So if JS goes down with an injury then we are up the creek but of course we've been in that boat all season. 

We really need another top QB in this class and preferably one that's further along in their skillset that could contribute if it came to that.  And this is no disrespect to JG or MW but this is the SEC.  But hey.....maybe I'm overreacting and everything will work out just fine.

I find myself liking the word "project' less and less each season- no matter what anybody says, every high school quarterback needs a lot of work before they're a college quarterback and, in today's game, I'm not sure that a polished high school passer has a better chance of success in college than a freak athlete with less experience throwing the ball- but otherwise I can't argue with any of that. We need two quality guys in every class until we develop some legitimate competition and depth.

Side note: the story of Sean White continues to be a very disappointing one.

Edited by McLoofus

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I find myself liking the word "project' less and less each season- no matter what anybody says, every high school quarterback needs a lot of work before they're a college quarterback and, in today's game, I'm not sure that a polished high school passer has a better chance of success in college than a freak athlete with less experience throwing the ball- but otherwise I can't argue with any of that. We need two quality guys in every class until we develop some legitimate competition and depth.

Side note: the story of Sean White continues to be a very disappointing one.

Only high school QB I've seen thats college ready is Trevor Lawrence. That man is COLD.

Edited by ClaytonAU
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Only high school QB I've seen thats college ready is Trevor Lawrence. That man is COLD.

Well then give him a blanket :poke:

• Like 1