2018 4* QB Joey Gatewood (Auburn 12/5/15)

RunInRed

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 7:28 AM, ellitor said:

I agree with the sentiment we need to recruit good passers but I don't think we have to sign pocket QBs to do it like Jay is wanting every year. I've notice an increased passing ability from Dual QBs lately. There are a number in this class who are throwing at a 60-65% completion clip or better. That wasn't the case a couple years ago. We just have to do a good job of getting the duals who are already good passers.

totally agree.

If you look at Hurts at Alabama. Great runner, strong. Passing is inconsistent. I think that is what lost the game against us. Once they quit running the ball and put it in his hands to come back, then they were in trouble, bc we were not going to let him run successfully against us. When he had to pass it was inaccurate with poor decision making on where to throw it.

With Gatewood, as you said, great strong runner, but has to pass better than 60% and learn to read the D and field when the D is playing man or zone. If he has the QB learning of passing decision making, then we are in great shape.

the problem probably is, he didn't get any of that in HS.

On 12/6/2017 at 3:44 PM, steeleagle said:

With Gatewood, as you said, great strong runner, but has to pass better than 60% and learn to read the D and field when the D is playing man or zone. If he has the QB learning of passing decision making, then we are in great shape.

the problem probably is, he didn't get any of that in HS.

The biggest upside that we have with Gatewood's need to learn is, unlike all of our other QBs with promise in the past 10 years, he will actually be able to spend a year under a really good QB and learn from him.

If you look at our history, the plan was to have Frazier spend a year under Cam, but Cam was too good and the NFL snatched him up. Then Jeremy was under Nick, who was a completely different style of QB. Sean was supposed to follow Jeremy but was called into service early. Now, FINALLY, we have a solid, stable QB who can mentor his successor.

In my experience, no matter how good the coach is, peer mentoring is invaluable.

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

The biggest upside that we have with Gatewood's need to learn is, unlike all of our other QBs with promise in the past 10 years, he will actually be able to spend a year under a really good QB and learn from him...

In my experience, no matter how good the coach is, peer mentoring is invaluable.

whoop-there-it-is.gif

Especially given how much Stidham wants to give back to AU & apparently open to mentoring he is. W/ Joey's natural ability if he picks up some of Jarrett's good habits he could be deadly.

• Like 4
  • Love 4

I'm sure This has been brought up before but Joey Gatewood's speed is not what i thought it was he's only running a 4.82 any else have concerns about this if his passing cannot improve substantially 

1 minute ago, Jaxr29 said:

I'm sure This has been brought up before but Joey Gatewood's speed is not what i thought it was he's only running a 4.82 any else have concerns about this if his passing cannot improve substantially 

No. You can't go by what posted on a recruiting site profile. That 4.82 was at an Atlanta camp & it's been well documented everyone was slow there because it was a bad track & wet surface. Trust me and your eyes when you watch his film. He's got better than 4.8 speed.

Just now, ellitor said:

No. You can't go by what posted on a recruiting site profile. That 4.82 was at an Atlanta camp & it's been well documented everyone was slow there because it was a bad track & wet surface. Trust me and your eyes when you watch his film. He's got better than 4.8 speed.

yeah thats what i had presumed he always looked faster on tape and i had never really thought to question his speed until today

thanks didn' know about the bad surface and wet track.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm comfortable with Stidham, Willis, Gatewood, and invited walk-on X. With the odd exception of tOSU that one season, no team is winning with a fourth-string QB.

Personally, I'd like to see Gatewood redshirt next year. Then, we'd have one of two scenarios:

1) Stidham (Sr), Willis (Jr), Gatewood (RFr), and Nix (assuming he signs, tFR); or

2) Willis (Jr), Gatewood (RFr), Nix (tFr), and second QB signee (tFr)

We've had a LOT worse in terms of QB depth at Auburn before. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

w6AAA.gif

• Haha 1

Day 2 Under Armour All-American Top Performers

FIVE ON OFFENSE

5. QB Joey Gatewood: It was a wet and windy day, but the Auburn signee was able to throw the ball the best of all the quarterbacks on Monday. However, it was the 6-foot-4, 235-pounder’s running ability that really impressed. Gatewood got out in the open field a few times on designed runs where his speed allowed him to rip off big gains.

Joey was the only QB to make the list.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jared52 said:

UGA is in the playoffs with a freshman QB. I’m all for the Gatewood era beginning Sept 2018!

Let’s go!!!’ woooooo!!!!!

• Facepalm 1

35 minutes ago, bigbird said:

You might wanna rethink that one

Nope. I knew what I was doing. Wouldn't think it would be you to point out the alternate meaning.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jared52 said:

UGA is in the playoffs with a freshman QB. I’m all for the Gatewood era beginning Sept 2018!

F it why not?!

• Like 1

UA All-America Game: Tuesday's takeaways

3. Joey Gatewood

Gatewood had his best day of the week on Tuesday, despite windy conditions in Orlando. Physically he is gifted, with a huge frame, muscular legs and a strong arm, but he had struggled with consistency. Today he looked more relaxed and patient as he went through his progressions more naturally and smoothly. His arm strength was also showcased on a few occasions as his ball was able to cut through the wind as other quarterbacks continued to struggle. While the comparisons to Cam Newton that the Auburn signee has received for years are a bit premature, there is no questioning his potential.

• Like 2

Gatewood looking so good at the UA practices is very encouraging. The dude is going to be a star.

Edited by aujeff11
  • Like 1

Just now, AUDevil said:

I  just read that his balls cut through the wind.

Can he paint pictures with his balls though?

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

Can he paint pictures with his balls though?

If they can cut through a stiff cold wind, then I see no reason why not.

• Like 2