2018 4* QB Joey Gatewood (Auburn 12/5/15)

RunInRed

Kid is going to be a good one but there is now way he can live up to the expectations that will be expected of him. Cam was a once in generation type of player. Damn sure glad I got to see Cam firsthand. 2010 Iron Bowl will go down as one of the best days of my life. GLORIOUS.

Kid is going to be a good one but there is now way he can live up to the expectations that will be expected of him. Cam was a once in generation type of player. Damn sure glad I got to see Cam firsthand. 2010 Iron Bowl will go down as one of the best days of my life. GLORIOUS.

We have to stop with the Cam comparisons for the reasons you mentioned.

Agree.

Rhett Lashlee's stock could not be any lower right now (so no other school would dare hire him away)

Wow. The lowest ones stock can get is being one year removed from 2 straight top 20 offenses? I guess he gets no credit and all the blame? No wait, that's Gus that's the blame...or wait....who are we blaming again? I'm confused.

Rhett Lashlee's stock could not be any lower right now (so no other school would dare hire him away)

Wow. The lowest ones stock can get is being one year removed from 2 straight top 20 offenses? I guess he gets no credit and all the blame? No wait, that's Gus that's the blame...or wait....who are we blaming again? I'm confused.

All on Gus IMO.

All on Gus IMO.

Yes...we know...

All on Gus IMO.

Yes...we know...

:bananadance:

It is only May.

Edited by WarDamnEagleWDE

So you saw the gif and didn't see any similarities to Cam? That was the comparison being made...

Problem is... the first one to compare Joey to Cam is actually Joey.

Cam was a once in generation type of player. Damn sure glad I got to see Cam firsthand. 2010 Iron Bowl will go down as one of the best days of my life. GLORIOUS.

Didn't make it to the IB that year but I was at several games in JHS. People will never understand what those games were like. I still get goosebumps listening to a 6 year old DJ Khaled song.

Cam was a once in generation type of player. Damn sure glad I got to see Cam firsthand. 2010 Iron Bowl will go down as one of the best days of my life. GLORIOUS.

Didn't make it to the IB that year but I was at several games in JHS. People will never understand what those games were like. I still get goosebumps listening to a 6 year old DJ Khaled song.

Went to more away games than home games that year (Miss. St., Ole Miss and Bama). Clemson was the only home game I made it too. Great, great game but I don't think Cam's real coming out party came until South Carolina. Wish I could have seen that game or Arkansas/Georgia/LSU. Still, I wouldnt trade the iron bowl for any of them. Watching the NCG from the parking lot in Glendale wasn't too bad either.

Unfortunately by the time he arrives we may DESPERATELY need him to start. Depends on Sean working out and Woody qualifying (and working out). Either way--but especially if Gatewood is our program's only hope at QB--Jay, please don't schedule a good OOC opponent in 2018!

Edited by AUwent

So you saw the gif and didn't see any similarities to Cam? That was the comparison being made...

I did. But I also see lots of other college prospects put crazy moves on high schoolers too. I just think we have helped in ruining a few QBs by casting the Cam Newton shadow on them. Matching Cam's production shouldn't be on the mind of anyone, fans or these QBs, IMO because it's literally an impossible feat to accomplish.

We have heard of Kiehl Frazier was going to be baby Cam. Then JJ. I think it's unnecessary pressure on a young guy when they need to be able to learn at their own pace and be their own guy instead of trying to fill Cam's shoes.

My rant's not really directed at you but kind of how I feel about the Cam comparison's as a whole.

Edited by Tiger

OK then. He reminded me of Dante Culpepper at UCF. No Joke. Is that better? lol

OK then. He reminded me of Dante Culpepper at UCF. No Joke. Is that better? lol

Culpepper was a beast but none of these kids will understand what that means since he was playing when these high schoolers were still soiling their diapers.

We are setting ourselves up to be disappointed in these kids when they don't live up to unattainable goals. Cam Newton is a mutant that fell out of the sky onto the plains and I don't think for the rest of my life I'll see anybody as good as he was on the college level, so I am comfortable avoiding Cam comparisons altogether. :dunno:

Even if he says it himself I think it's unfair for media and fans to expect that from him

Edited by Tiger

Somebody else already did, but it seems worth pointing out again that there's a very big difference between saying "He reminds me of Cam" and "I expect him to have Cam-like success". Also, what was the exact quote from the kid? I doubt it was "I'm going to be as good as/better than Cam Newton", but I might be wrong. And even if he did, well, can't knock him for having dreams and goals.

Somebody else already did, but it seems worth pointing out again that there's a very big difference between saying "He reminds me of Cam" and "I expect him to have Cam-like success". Also, what was the exact quote from the kid? I doubt it was "I'm going to be as good as/better than Cam Newton", but I might be wrong. And even if he did, well, can't knock him for having dreams and goals.

Indeed. That would just be the competitive nature that you would expect an athlete at this level to have. "Cam Newton is the best, I want to beat the best." I definitely see some Cam in the link aujeff posted, both in the way he was running/eluding and the way he made something out of nothing.

True there is a big difference between the 2 statements.

Every large QB that is looking at signing with Auburn or has committed to Auburn will have a statement attached to him like:

Reminds me of Cam

The next Cam

Looks like Cam

etc.

Cam set the standard and there will be unrealistic expectations and comparisons.

Running backs get compared to Bo, Caddy, Ronnie Brown, Offensive tackles will get compared to Greg Robinson is it fair no but it will happen.

Everything we do in life, our work, play, etc... we compare ourselves to those who came before us, good or bad. I think it is a good thing for players to aspire to be like someone they look up to and idolize! All players in sports have a hero, and someone they try to emulate in how they play the game. If a player does not have these type aspirations we probably wouldn't want him to play for AU. People making these comparisons don't really believe this or that player will be as good as Cam, but we can dream can't we?

In one hand, I think it is ridiculous that Tiger is scoffing at the Cam Newton comparisons when there is FINALLY good reason to make the comparisons based on running style. On the other hand, I, too, am tired of hearing the Cam comparisons when they are not applicable. I saw them with Torrance Gibson and others and they don't apply. I saw Gruden compare Paxton Lynch to Cam Newton before the draft and I about spat my drink out of my mouth. People need to chill with the comparisons.

With that said, Gatewood runs just like Cam did. Same running, cutting, and weaving running style.

Edited by aujeff11

^Agreed. We NEED to get someone out of JUCO (or prep school if WB goes there) for the 2017 class! We could be stuck in the SEC cellar until Gatewood arrives or has a year under his belt if not. If we stay in that cellar for the next two years, should we make a coaching change? Or should we keep GM to get JG?

Please Joey, stick with us and QUALIFY! And graduating early would be nice...

Edited by AUwent

Words cannot express how much I hate that JG is in the '18 class and not the '17 class.

I'm feeling ya.