Jump to content

2018 4* QB Joey Gatewood (Auburn 12/5/15)


RunInRed
 Share

Recommended Posts





2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Wow blast from the past

One hell of a high school QB at Ramsay in Birmingham.  I thought for sure he would be another Pat Sullivan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, tinman said:

Correct about AU fans.  I can't count the number of '"can't miss"  QB's we have signed who did not pan out.  I remember being on cloud 9 when we signed Kodi Burns & Keihl Frazier.  And going back to the 70's Chris Vacarella.  The list is long!

I remember Chris Vacarella leading us to a  big upset win over highly ranked Houston. 7-0 score if memory serves.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Still remember when you were saying the elite WRs would consider Auburn once they saw how JJ threw the ball. I guess the joke really is on Auburn fans.

:-\

What is interesting about this is even though we had poor QB play last year, we signed one of the better WR classes ever at AU. (Davis, Myer, and Stowe)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

I remember Chris Vacarella leading us to a  big upset win over highly ranked Houston. 7-0 score if memory serves.

Very good memory. I now remember this too. big win at the time...and we only had about 15 yards passing I think too.

His press clippings as he was being recruited was WAY better than he actually was once we saw him on the field. He had some tools, but could tell he was not ever going to be an elite QB. As a matter of fact i think he was moved to running back or WR later in college. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, wareagletk said:

Does Joey not start at Bartram Trail? 

Yes but not necessarily at QB. His team has 3 college QB prospects.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ellitor said:

Yes but not necessarily at QB. His team has 3 college QB prospects.

Ok, just checking. I saw his stats and noticed he didn't throw the ball but had receptions and rushing yards. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, wareagletk said:

Ok, just checking. I saw his stats and noticed he didn't throw the ball but had receptions and rushing yards. 

Triple-threat QB :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They play Daytona Mainland on Friday night...a very good team that hammered them last year...we'll see if they can do better this year..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

 Daytona Mainland  has another good team this year.

Let me guess. They run a lot of Nascar in their offense.

Edited by ellitor
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2016 at 7:32 PM, wareagletk said:

Ok, just checking. I saw his stats and noticed he didn't throw the ball but had receptions and rushing yards. 

Perfect for our system. :jossun:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If he's the next Cam Newton, then why is he not starting for his high school? If he really has the talent needed to be an SEC QB then let's hope he transfers to another HS next year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/10/2016 at 10:30 PM, CameronCrazy said:

If he's the next Cam Newton, then why is he not starting for his high school? If he really has the talent needed to be an SEC QB then let's hope he transfers to another HS next year.

Already been answered. The school has 3 QBs with already legit college football offers. Joey can make an impact at WR & RB while the Sr QB gets most of the snaps to try to improve his offers. It would be best for him to transfer by next year IMO for his development. I hope IMG comes calling.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, ellitor said:

Already been answered. The school has 3 QBs with already legit college football offers. Joey can make an impact at WR & RB while the Sr QB gets most of the snaps to try to improve his offers. It would be best for him to transfer by next year IMO for his development. I hope IMG comes calling.

So AU fans need to understand that he's a project and it may be 2019/2020 before he's ready at the college level.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

So AU fans need to understand that he's a project and it may be 2019/2020 before he's ready at the college level.

Possible but Not at all a necessity on the project part. Not yet at least. He can still transfer somewhere next year & be a full time QB for a year before college. If he were to go to somewhere like IMG I think they could develop him well in even a year. On the 2019/2020 part no fan should expect a QB, no matter how polished they may be out of high school, to be SEC ready before their 2nd year at college which 2019/2020 would be for Joey. Besides, IF we get Stidham or Sean continues to progress & stay healthy we likely won't need Joey ready til the 2019 or 2020 seasons anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Possible but Not at all a necessity on the project part. Not yet at least. He can still transfer somewhere next year & be a full time QB for a year before college. If he were to go to somewhere like IMG I think they could develop him well in even a year. On the 2019/2020 part no fan should expect a QB, no matter how polished they may be out of high school, to be SEC ready before their 2nd year at college which 2019/2020 would be for Joey. Besides, IF we get Stidham or Sean continues to progress & stay healthy we likely won't need Joey ready til the 2019 or 2020 seasons anyway.

Heartily agree.

Folks, 99% of quarterbacks exist in the space between a Lamar Jackson and a John Franklin III. The former is the rare phenom who can make noise early and the latter is what you'd call a project. They are outliers. 

And for goodness sake, how any Auburn fan can make any assumptions about any high school quarterback's chances of success in college is beyond me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Heartily agree.

Folks, 99% of quarterbacks exist in the space between a Lamar Jackson and a John Franklin III. The former is the rare phenom who can make noise early and the latter is what you'd call a project. They are outliers. 

And for goodness sake, how any Auburn fan can make any assumptions about any high school quarterback's chances of success in college is beyond me. 

Lamar was a project out of high school. What he is evolving to has a lot to do w/ Petrino's coaching IMO. From Louisville's Spring ball til just before game 1 Lamar was not allowed to scramble at all in practice. He had to go through all his read progressions no matter the circumstance. I think that helped him a lot.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ellitor said:

Lamar was a project out of high school. What he is evolving to has a lot to do w/ Petrino's coaching IMO. From Louisville's Spring ball til just before game 1 Lamar was not allowed to scramble at all in practice. He had to go through all his read progressions no matter the circumstance. I think that helped him a lot.

Good info, sir. 

I have my thoughts about Petrino the man, but Petrino the coach seems to be back in top form. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...