2018 4* QB Joey Gatewood (Auburn 12/5/15)

RunInRed

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

The big question is, what is Rhett going to say to him.  If this kid ends up being the phenom that people hope he will be (which I can't say I'm confident of), how can Rhett in good conscience not tell him he'd be better off sticking to his commitment to an SEC team than languishing at UConn, where he won't get near the respect?

"In good conscience"... just depends on how important that is I guess. 

I can't imagine he could talk Gatewood into UConn even if he wanted to, though. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jared52 said:

Would we have been just as shocked when the whole staff is fired after next year? If he was coming for Rhett, he was ever going to be here anyway. 

Have you heard first hand that the staff is going to be fired next year? I haven't heard that. I think we are going to be really good next year so unless you know something nobody else does why say it? I am so tired of how negative so many people are!!! 

2 hours ago, bg5 said:

Have you heard first hand that the staff is going to be fired next year? I haven't heard that. I think we are going to be really good next year so unless you know something nobody else does why say it? I am so tired of how negative so many people are!!! 

It's basically win the SEC or bust for Gus from what many are saying. 

Well if that's the case he may as well

put a for sale sign in his yard and start packing. But I wonder if this came from someone with authority or just message board fodder.  Win the SEC or get fired is a pretty tough ultimatum IMO...

• Like 6

12 hours ago, bigbird said:

That's why you don't commit to coaches. You commit to the school.

While it doesn't look good  now to hold onto JG maybe the new guy we hire will be able to keep him on board..

Gatewood is gonna be a senior in high school and has next to no game experience at his position but since he hit the recruiting site camp circuit with no pads he is a big time recruit.  He is a high risk, high reward recruit, has soo much to learn.  Too many times as fans we get enamored by stars and not what they have accomplished on and off the field.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Gatewood is gonna be a senior in high school and has next to no game experience at his position but since he hit the recruiting site camp circuit with no pads he is a big time recruit.  He is a high risk, high reward recruit, has soo much to learn.  Too many times as fans we get enamored by stars and not what they have accomplished on and off the field.

This. Don't get amped about stars. Think Byron cowart. His light still has not came on. 

Edited by JDUBB4AU

4 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

Well if that's the case he may as well

put a for sale sign in his yard and start packing. But I wonder if this came from someone with authority or just message board fodder.  Win the SEC or get fired is a pretty tough ultimatum IMO...

It's not just a tough ultimatum, it would be an extremely stupid ultimatum. I don't believe that for one second.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, bigbird said:

That's why you don't commit to coaches. You commit to the school.

Well without our coaches, he wouldn't care about our school. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

You can't definitively say that. 

7 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

a lot of kids care about there education so they would care about Auburn...without the coaches.

• Like 1

This is not limited to sports and I believe the opposite. I went to Auburn basically to study under two professors that were world class in their field. Don't get me wrong, Auburn was one of the best decisions in my life but saying the coach (professor) should not be a HUGE part of the decision is odd.

Having said that - and I'm not a Lashlee basher - there are 4 guys on our CURRENT OC list that are IMO as good or better all around than Rhett.

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

You can't definitively say that. 

Maybe not 100 percent sure but 99% sure. He said he liked what Gus could do for Cam. He also developed a strong relationship with Rhett. Losing those would be like lethal to retaining Joey and I don't blame him.  

1 hour ago, PoetTiger said:

a lot of kids care about there education so they would care about Auburn...without the coaches.

Joey isn't just a kid looking for an education. He has goals specific to his running and passing abilities.

10 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

This. Don't get amped about stars. Think Byron cowart. His light still has not came on. 

Think Lawson, Adams, Brown and Davidson. (Daniel excused himself from the proceedings before we could find out who he was.)

As for Cowart, he came in as a DE and is being transitioned inside. If his light still hasn't come on by the time he leaves Auburn, then you'll have a case. 

EDIT: The point about Gatewood remains true, though. He was a legitimately big get when we got him as a very young QB. Things haven't progressed as expected since and now there are doubts if he's as good as we thought he would be at this point in his career. The recruiting evaluations don't seem to have changed to reflect these things. 

Edited by McLoofus

10 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Funny how that works, huh? Other than kids who grew up fans of a school, you won't find a single player who doesn't commit to coaches. They just need to hope, if the coach leaves, that the version of the school, and they way that school plays ball,  that they were sold is something that holds true for the next regime.

2 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

Most football player look at scheme, how they get along with the coaches, and the environment of the school.  Their mamas look at education. The three things that players look at are wholly or in part influenced by the staff.  A major staff change is HUGE for most players, and has more impact the higher up the change.

Losing McGriff cost us two recruits and hit a couple of others hard, but the rest of the staff and scheme was intact, so they rolled with it. Losing Lashlee means the possibility of extensive changes to the offensive scheme and possible other staff changes, which every offensive recruit is considering, and each will need to be sold on those changes.  Losing Gus would mean blanket changes and recruits would likely drop like flies.

@aujeff11 is right, most of these kids don't sign with Auburn. They sign with Gus's version of Auburn.

Edited by lionheartkc
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

@aujeff11 is right, most of these kids don't sign with Auburn. They sign with Gus's version of Auburn.

This is correct with any school and recruits. I'd say its a 60/40 split with the 60% being the coaches in regards to recruits choosing a school. Maybe a little higher than 60%. 

Alabama isn't signing 3/4 of the out of regions kids they are now if it were not Saban. Coaches matter. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

This is correct with any school and recruits. I'd say its a 60/40 split with the 60% being the coaches in regards to recruits choosing a school. Maybe a little higher than 60%. 

Alabama isn't signing 3/4 of the out of regions kids they are now if it were not Saban. Coaches matter. 

Or in Bamas case is it the mythical power of the REC. Or Saban, or Chargers, or free suits, or house sitting jobs for mama, scholarships for girlfriends, on and on and on...each kid is different some value coach relationships, scheme, playing time, opportunity for themselves and others. The coach makes the connection based on the primary interest of the recruit. In some cases it may very well be the quality of education they can receive. Its not like education is never a factor in a kids recruitment.

5 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Its not like education is never a factor in a kids recruitment.

True... but the primary focus for the kid is "do they offer the major I want", and some even throw that out because they what the coaches sell them.

You would be hard pressed to find one 3* or better football player who would, off the cuff, list education as one of the things they look for when they are being recruited. The best you will probably get is the generic "it's a good school".

If education mattered, bama would need more than Chargers and suits to be the #1 class in the country, because they are one of the lowest rated in the SEC on several statistics, and Vandy would be world beaters.

Edited by lionheartkc

4 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Or in Bamas case is it the mythical power of the REC. Or Saban, or Chargers, or free suits, or house sitting jobs for mama, scholarships for girlfriends, on and on and on...each kid is different some value coach relationships, scheme, playing time, opportunity for themselves and others. The coach makes the connection based on the primary interest of the recruit. In some cases it may very well be the quality of education they can receive. Its not like education is never a factor in a kids recruitment.

Its is with some. Some just want a coach who can get them to the league. I'd say that most of the guys AU signs are the latter type who do value a education. While most of the guys uat signs want to get to the league. Totally different cultures. I like AU's 100x better. 

And I'm not saying AU can't get kids who want to get into the league. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Most football player look at scheme, how they get along with the coaches, and the environment of the school.  Their mamas look at education. The three things that players look at are wholly or in part influenced by the staff.  A major staff change is HUGE for most players, and has more impact the higher up the change.

Losing McGriff cost us two recruits and hit a couple of others hard, but the rest of the staff and scheme was intact, so they rolled with it. Losing Lashlee means the possibility of extensive changes to the offensive scheme and possible other staff changes, which every offensive recruit is considering, and each will need to be sold on those changes.  Losing Gus would mean blanket changes and recruits would likely drop like flies.

That was poetically beautiful. We should agree more!

16 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Its is with some. Some just want a coach who can get them to the league. I'd say that most of the guys AU signs are the latter type who do value a education. While most of the guys uat signs want to get to the league. Totally different cultures. I like AU's 100x better. 

I feel like Dee Ford is a great example of what Auburn should aspire to be. And I think we're there right now in terms of the kind of kids we have on our team. We're more talented than ever and mostly have character to match. Now, if only we can get the whole "winning football games" act in order. 

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Saving this message for the next time someone says all you post is negative info.

• Like 1