Men vs. Georgia State - game thread

JwgreDeux

Just a few quick words about the game tonight. This one is tricky. Georgia State has been to the NCAA since Pearl has been at AU, they have transfers from Indiana, Alabama and other big programs. The name on the jersey isn't scary, but they are no joke and have a shot to pull the upset. We are favored by 7, but the line opened at 5. I have also seen a few online simulators that pick us to lose this game, Our young men will be challenged early and often in this one. I would expect GaSt. to come out with high energy, and we have to weather the early storm. Their guards are small, but they have two posts that can really play. Smith and SPencer will be tested in this one. How they play could be a indicator of where this team is headed.

I think our depth will be too much, and I don't think they can guard our wings. They had 14 blocked shots in their first game, I look for Heron to attack and live at the foul line tonight. 

Watch on the sec network tonight. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

Just a few quick words about the game tonight. This one is tricky. Georgia State has been to the NCAA since Pearl has been at AU, they have transfers from Indiana, Alabama and other big programs. The name on the jersey isn't scary, but they are no joke and have a shot to pull the upset. We are favored by 7, but the line opened at 5. I have also seen a few online simulators that pick us to lose this game, Our young men will be challenged early and often in this one. I would expect GaSt. to come out with high energy, and we have to weather the early storm. Their guards are small, but they have two posts that can really play. Smith and SPencer will be tested in this one. How they play could be a indicator of where this team is headed.

I think our depth will be too much, and I don't think they can guard our wings. They had 14 blocked shots in their first game, I look for Heron to attack and live at the foul line tonight. 

Watch on the sec network tonight. 

Thank you for this analyses I think you are correct about watching Spencer and Smith. If they can put up numbers similar to the last game where they were together in double figures in scoring and rebounding with 3 blocks we have a chance to be a good team. I think you are correct that this will let us know if our two centers can hang and not hurt us. They don't have to be world beaters but they do have to keep other teams from exploiting our size issue.

I agree with OP

however, I have a slightly different thought.  We will counter their bigs with our slashers on O in order to get their bigs in foul trouble and back on their bench ... that may help take some pressure off spencer.

regarding spencer ... one or 2 fouls last game were not necessarily poor defending on him.  They were, I think, breakdowns by others and he was forced to react late from a different position and simply was fouling to prevent an easy basket.  Anyone remember it that way?

I can't remember specifically, but that entire officiating crew had a goal in mind to make as many guys foul out as possible from each team it seemed like. That game took about 3 hours!

55 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

I agree with OP

however, I have a slightly different thought.  We will counter their bigs with our slashers on O in order to get their bigs in foul trouble and back on their bench ... that may help take some pressure off spencer.

regarding spencer ... one or 2 fouls last game were not necessarily poor defending on him.  They were, I think, breakdowns by others and he was forced to react late from a different position and simply was fouling to prevent an easy basket.  Anyone remember it that way?

That could well be  but we can't afford to have Spencer fouling out  in 20 minutes of play  .  I guess he just has to learn  that if he can't make a block  he's got to let the guy go.  Just my opinion, but he is  important  and has to learn to  play  an entire game  without  fouling  out.  Swapping a foul for an easy  basket by the opposition  is generally not a good trade. 

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

That could well be  but we can't afford to have Spencer fouling out  in 20 minutes of play  .  I guess he just has to learn  that if he can't make a block  he's got to let the guy go.  Just my opinion, but he is  important  and has to learn to  play  an entire game  without  fouling  out.  Swapping a foul for an easy  basket by the opposition  is generally not a good trade. 

at least with spencer and smith, we have 10 fouls to give,15 if you count mcclamore....that should keep the foul situation from becoming as critical as it has been in the past couple of years

6 minutes ago, tombigbeetiger said:

at least with spencer and smith, we have 10 fouls to give,15 if you count mcclamore....that should keep the foul situation from becoming as critical as it has been in the past couple of years

Well that's true...but I hate to see the opposing team shooting two on their fouls about 5 minutes into a half.    Shooters are being protected by the refs now and aside from the rebounders fouling out, might also be giving away a lot of points at the  line.  

And of course, Spencer showed some ability to score inside last season and would be good to have him as an offense threat...:dunno:   And a last gripe...with such a young team and some tough early season games It would be nice to have a veteran like Spencer available to provide some leadership. 

We will know more in a couple hours......nice to have this one on the tube.....uh....the flat screen...

25 minutes ago, Ed Tew said:

I have not seen any info on New Williams.  What is his status?

I think he's just way down the pecking order right now. His knee might not be what it used to be. 

PUrifoy going inside and he's fouled.  shooting 2.   1st no good.  2nd no good.   Auburn maintains possession after it goes out of bounds. 

Heron takes it to the basket and is fouled.  shooting 2 .. 1st good.  2nd good.  5-4 Auburn trails.   Auburn in a full court press

Lang gets an offensive rebound and is fouled.  shooting 2.    1st no good.  2nd goo.d  9-7 Tigers down.    Press and Lang gets a steal and to dunans for the basket.  Game tied 9-9.     Auburn is in the bonus the rest of the half.  14:41 to play in the first half.

Spencer fouled on a rebound.   he will shoot 1 and 1.   FT no good.  Auburn gets the rebound (Heron) and he's fouled.   1 and 1.  FT good.  2nd good.   13-13

Archived