Auburn with shot at Sugar Bowl

abw0004

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2016/11/auburn_cfp_analysis.html#incart_river_index

LSU must lose this weekend, but it is still possible.  I have said it before, but I would also be happy with a Florida State rematch in a bowl game.  Perfect way for our seniors/redshirt juniors to go out since they lost to Florida State as freshmen.  Auburn is currently ranked 15th, and Florida State 17th.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to see us go to the Sugar Bowl but I would like to see another opponent besides FSU, maybe a Wisconsin, Penn State, or another school not from the south.

41 minutes ago, Dan-0 said:

I would like to see us go to the Sugar Bowl but I would like to see another opponent besides FSU, maybe a Wisconsin, Penn State, or another school not from the south.

Did you literally just say Wisconsin? Since 2000 they are the only team AU has played in a bowl multiple times. I really don't want to play them again because that would make the 4th time we've played them in a bowl since 03

I know there are all sorts of tie ins, but I imagine the sugar bowl people are in the dumps about whoever comes from the SEC this year. Hate to say it but, all the candidates are real 2nd tier teams, including us.

22 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

I know there are all sorts of tie ins, but I imagine the sugar bowl people are in the dumps about whoever comes from the SEC this year. Hate to say it but, all the candidates are real 2nd tier teams, including us.

we're not 2nd tier anymore.  only when healthy.

38 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Did you literally just say Wisconsin? Since 2000 they are the only team AU has played in a bowl multiple times. I really don't want to play them again because that would make the 4th time we've played them in a bowl since 03

I don't really care that much who we play, I just don't want to play Free Shoes University again.

53 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

I think the Sugar Bowl Committee knows that with an SEC team, whoever it may be will sell out their allotment and take some of the other opponent's allotment. I think if we beat Bama they will chose us over Florida even though they may play in the SEC championship game

18 minutes ago, Dan-0 said:

I don't really care that much who we play, I just don't want to play Free Shoes University again.

I dislike FSU as well, but I just don't get listing Wisconsin as a bowl matchup someone would rather see. To me that's almost like saying "let's schedule Clemson again for 2018". Lol

16 minutes ago, alabamabrown14 said:

I think the Sugar Bowl Committee knows that with an SEC team, whoever it may be will sell out their allotment and take some of the other opponent's allotment. I think if we beat Bama they will chose us over Florida even though they may play in the SEC championship game

The last Sugar Bowl UF went to had a putrid UF turn out......I'd think the Sugar would take LSU if they beat UF on Saturday in Baton Rouge (which is likely) and if they beat aTm in College Station (aTm is a shell of itself without their starting QB.)  I can see LSU winning both of those and landing in or around a top 10 ranking....A 9-3 LSU pumped up by Ed O would fill the Sugar Bowl with fans.

Sugar Bowl would definitely take LSU over Florida and rightly so. I think LSU runs all over Florida this weekend to cement that spot and I don't think A&M has what it takes now to upset LSU.

But if that DOES happen, you can bet the Sugar Bowl will pick Auburn over Florida. We travel well even for lesser bowl games and a healthy Auburn team would match up really well against the Big 12 porous run defenses (exception being maybe West Virginia).

So, in short, it'll be LSU/Auburn vs. Oklahoma/OK State.

1 hour ago, keesler said:

What about LSU if they win out?

I think we would have to beat Bama to beat them out for that. LSU would be 2nd in the west if they win out and we lose to Bama.

Just now, 80Tiger said:

Nice. A Wed 12/28 bowl game.

Maybe hopefully possibly perhaps an opportunity to check out our new OC? I'm not a against RL, actually glad he's finally calling plays and looks good for the most part, but I think he'll be a head coach next year.

28 minutes ago, api1957 said:

Bleacher Report has us in the Texas Bowl vs. Baylor. Hmm.

They've been putting us in the Texas Bowl since last year. lol

I personally think we end up in the Taxslayer Bowl.

I would like to see Sugar or Cotton. But most of all, id really like to see Auburn play a snow game, before I die. It would be nice if we could play up north somewhere, one year.

3 hours ago, abw0004 said:

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2016/11/auburn_cfp_analysis.html#incart_river_index

LSU must lose this weekend, but it is still possible.  I have said it before, but I would also be happy with a Florida State rematch in a bowl game.  Perfect way for our seniors/redshirt juniors to go out since they lost to Florida State as freshmen.  Auburn is currently ranked 15th, and Florida State 17th.

Unless our defense plays the game of their life and offense doesn't turn over the ball just to keep the Bama game close there is no way we will go to the Sugar Bowl other than beating Bama. There's no combination between wins and losses for the rest of the contenders possible between LSU, Texas A&M, Florida, & Tennessee for us to stay ahead of all of them. LSU losing to Florida would  not work because somebody still has to beat Tennessee. if LSU beat Florida that would open the door for Tennessee to go and lose to Alabama. LSU would then have to go to lose to Texas A&M. The problem there Texas A&M with jump us by having the SEC standing tie breaker plus likely get ahead in the rankings. So far as the Sugar Bowl is concerned for Auburn it's essentially beat Bama or bust. We really screwed the pooch by losing to Georgia.

7 hours ago, keesler said:

What about LSU if they win out?

Sorry meant Florida bowl game.  Florida will probably be playing in Florida as well.  Winner of LSU/ATM goes Sugar, loser goes Cotton.  Read somewhere saying bowls would pick UT over Auburn because the have more pizzazz.  Probably the dumbest thing I saw all day.

16 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Sorry meant Florida bowl game.  Florida will probably be playing in Florida as well.  Winner of LSU/ATM goes Sugar, loser goes Cotton.  Read somewhere saying bowls would pick UT over Auburn because the have more pizzazz.  Probably the dumbest thing I saw all day.

Anyone who picks UT over Auburn just doesn't like money.  Auburn is one of the best traveling fan bases in the country.  UT is one of the biggest bunches of apathetic fans I've ever encountered.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Anyone who picks UT over Auburn just doesn't like money.  Auburn is one of the best traveling fan bases in the country.  UT is one of the biggest bunches of apathetic fans I've ever encountered.

Next year will be UTk's year. Until it's not. 

Archived