Auburn with shot at Sugar Bowl

abw0004

13 minutes ago, Linayus said:

Which could still be Auburn if Florida beat LSU, LSU beats A&M, and FL State beats Florida. lol How sad is that?!

Lol. You still forgot Tennessee from my other post. The only way I see us getting to the Sugar Bowl if we lose to Bama is

UF beat LSU

LSU beat aTm

Bama beat UF

and the tough part Mizzou or Vandy pull a shocker on Tennessee.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, ellitor said:

JMO but I think the committee jumps a 3 loss Tennessee or 3 loss aTm over a 4 loss Auburn. And the Sugar does not get to pick. They have to take the highest ranked SEC team in the CFP rankings if the SEC Champ is in the playoff bowls.

I tried to post a scenario where Auburn would get in without beating Bama, but deleted the attempt once I looked at all of the teams involved.  The committee may not follow the logic as well based off who they think is better, regardless of record.  I would love Vandy to win out over Ole Miss and UT and Kentucky to win out and beat Louisville to make them both bowl eligible. 

Edit: In other words ... your scenario above I just noticed. Lol

On 11/17/2016 at 10:58 AM, abw0004 said:

BELK BOWL Charlotte, N.C. | Dec. 29

vs. Pittsburgh (Brett McMurphy, ESPN)

LIBERTY BOWL Memphis, Tenn. | Dec. 30

vs. Texas (Bill Bender, Sporting News)

TAXSLAYER BOWL Jacksonville, Fla. | Dec. 31

vs. Miami (Colin Becht, Sports Illustrated)

No opponent listed (Greg Ostendorf, ESPN)

OUTBACK BOWL Tampa, Fla. | Jan. 2

vs. Nebraska (Jerry Palm, CBS Sports)

vs. Nebraska (Steve Lassan, Athlon Sports)

vs. Nebraska (Jason Kirk, SB Nation)

vs. Penn State (Mark Schlabach, ESPN)

SUGAR BOWL New Orleans, La. | Jan. 2

vs. West Virginia (Erick Smith, USA Today)

Really like this one. WVU, who I wish the SEC got instead of Mizzou, in a major bowl game. Watch rain game highlights to get ready and a good team we could actually beat. Would be awesome.

Realistically, I'm feeling Pitt in the Belk. Don't think we ever played before and a nice enough bowl. Nice to see something new.

1 minute ago, Randman5000 said:

LSU fumbles the ball diving for the end zone on final play.

We are still alive for Sugar Bowl. Need Florida to lose to FSU. 

No worries, Florida will definitely lose to FSU.  Florida does not have an offense that can hang with FSU.

30 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

LSU fumbles the ball diving for the end zone on final play.

We are still alive for Sugar Bowl. Need Florida to lose to FSU. 

I've been away from football all day.  LSU loses at home to UF.  Guess Ed ain't gonna be the permanent HC for the Corndogs now for sure.  And I hate to say it, but JM at UF is turning out to be a much better coach than I originally thought.  They just might give bammer fits in the SECCG.

7 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

I've been away from football all day.  LSU loses at home to UF.  Guess Ed ain't gonna be the permanent HC for the Corndogs now for sure.  And I hate to say it, but JM at UF is turning out to be a much better coach than I originally thought.  They just might give bammer fits in the SECCG.

He wouldn't have ever gotten the nod anyway. 

4 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Still think TAMU might be enough to ice job-security for Coach Orgeron (Fans like him! "Finally, a coach that doesn't have an accent!").

Agree that Coach McElwain seems to be building something.

13 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

I see him as a worse version of Gus. His side of the ball is the reason for all of his teams struggles. No QB whatsoever. He is winning because of a elite defense that Boom recruited for the most part. Sound familiar?! haha.

16 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

As much as I hate to say it, this is going to be a pointless championship game.  The bammers are going to stomp the gators in the ground, after FSU finishes stomping them into the ground.

The SEC east is just that weak this year.

Pitt is a sneaky good team this year.  It didn't surprise me to see them beat Clemson last week.  I agree it would be cool to play them.  

18 hours ago, Tiger96 said:

So with the LSU loss does that mean a easier path to the Sugar Bowl for Auburn?

Nope. Still need Vandy to beat the Vols , Flotida lose to Bama and maybe FSU, and may need LSU to beat aTm

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Nope. Still need Vandy to beat the Vols , Flotida lose to Bama and maybe FSU, and may need LSU to beat aTm

All of that is possible, including Vandy winning. 

On 11/16/2016 at 8:55 PM, penguin149 said:

Hey!  Liberty or Music City Bowl and I can make the trip!  Would rather be in a Fla bowl though

Currently we are third in the SEC, which puts us in Gator more than likely. Music City and Liberty is for mid-tier SEC teams. If LSU beats A&M next week, and Florida loses an out of conference game vs fla st, we finish tied for second with Florida in the SEC. That means the sugar bowl takes its pick between us and the gators, and last time Florida went to sugar bowl it was a crap show. 

So I watched all of that LSU v. Florida game and I have to say that the LSU "offense" they've been saying is "revived" under Coach O just reverted back to what it was with Les Miles. Twice in the red zone they should've scored. One fumbled away and the other was a strong stand by Florida's defense against extremely predictable play calls.

That said, LSU should still beat Texas A&M. Florida will lose to FL State and Bama. Vandy could beat Tennessee. Auburn may very well see itself getting the Sugar Bowl invite with a win or at least a close game against Bama. We are still the 2nd best SEC team in the CFP rankings (unless they give Tennessee a huge boost for beating an awful Mizzou).

I know this is not SEC or Auburn related but how funny is it that if Ohio state beats Michigan and Penn state beats Michigan state then Penn state with 2 loses goes to the title game over a 1 lose Ohio State. The BIG 10 championship game features 2 teams with multiple loses while Ohio State with 1 lose sits at home. Have fun with that bowl committee. Like what would they do if Florida by some miracle beat Bama. Now what does the committee when two 1 lose teams did not win their conference, and the BIG 10, SEC and BIG 12 all have conference champs with multiple loses. Ha I love college football!!!!!

5 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

I know this is not SEC or Auburn related but how funny is it that if Ohio state beats Michigan and Penn state beats Michigan state then Penn state with 2 loses goes to the title game over a 1 lose Ohio State. The BIG 10 championship game features 2 teams with multiple loses while Ohio State with 1 lose sits at home. Have fun with that bowl committee. Like what would they do if Florida by some miracle beat Bama. Now what does the committee when two 1 lose teams did not win their conference, and the BIG 10, SEC and BIG 12 all have conference champs with multiple loses. Ha I love college football!!!!!

:cheers:

49 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

I would like it a lot better if we had an 8 team playoff with 5 auto bids for P5 conference champs and 3 wildcards selected by a committee. 1st round games on campus at the  4 highest ranked conference champs sites. I hate all this drama and beauty pageantry. There would still be some in the 8 team system but less percentage wise as 5 of the 8 would win their way in.

And winning the conference title would still be very important. For example as good as Bama is I know they wouldn't want to lose to Florida and face having to go to Washington in mid December for a first round game which would be plausible in an 8 team xystem where wild cards have to go on the road.

Archived