Film study vs Zone Defense

JwgreDeux

After some of the discussion the last two games about playing against a zone defense, I went back and watched most of our first two games and have broken down two possessions that I hope help show what CBP wants this team to try to do against a zone. 

There are two ways to attack a zone, first is over the top, and second is from within. In the first game we attacked over the top and were successful at shooting a high percentage. In our second game against Georgia St. we attempted to attack the zone over the top early, but Brown, Heron, and Lang all missed those attempts. Then we started trying to attack from within. We struggled to do so, trying to throw and entry pass to the elbow from the point on multiple possessions. large.582e2afb878dd_MissQs.png

This shows Harper pointing at where the wanted Purifoy to be on the floor and Purifoy pointing to Harper to lob the pass in instead of a bounce pass. The redline showing where the ball ended up, as a turnover out of bounds. 

Next we switched from an entry pass to the elbow to a weave action around the top of the key to see how the zone reacted: 

After a passing exchange from Harper to Brown and back, Smith comes to the extended elbow to screen the zone defender guarding Harper:large.1.png

Harper drives to his right and hands off to Heron on a weave back towards the top of the key (with Brown heading towards Heron for another weave), as the zone defenders pass off to each other: 

large.2.png

Heron hands off to Brown for another weave exchange at the top of the key as Brown attempts to penetrate with all 5 defenders keyed on him : large.3.png

Brown loses his footing as he tries to stop his drive with the zone closing on him: notice how well the zone has prevented any attacks to the basket, and no wing has rotated towards an open area to be ready for a shot. large.4.png

The turn over leads to a run out and easy points for Ga St. At this point in the game our only points are from transition and free throws. large.5.png

How we did it right in next post. 

After a series of early turnovers, CBP went to the bench to Johnson and Dunans. Here is their second possession following the series outlined above. 

They are running the same set, to the other side of the floor, a guard weave to see how the zone reacts: Dunans and Johnson exchange passes, and then Dunans dribbles towards Lang.large.1.png

Lang and Dunans exchange passes (instead of weave) and Spencer comes out to screen the defender guarding Dunans (exactly like the first series we broke down): large.2.png

The next frame is where we will see the difference begin. Dunans drives to his left across the face of the zone, Johnson holds his ground, instead of coming to Dunans for a weave, and Dunans probes the defense (causing the zone defenders to shift, one of the back defenders is forced to shift upwards to cover Johnson):large.3.png

Next Johnson slides to the corner open area: Dunans passes the ball and slides out to the wing spot, but Johnson turns down the shot:large.4.png

Instead he drives to the short corner, shifting and turning the zone: large.5.png

He beats #15, who tried to come off of Dunans, but was late and gets inside the zone, finding Spencer. The only defender is caught trying to guard two men: large.6.png

Spencer finishes for 2:large.7.png

Same concept, same set, but the veterans understood the movement against a zone a little bit better and helped get a few buckets that got the team going. Harper and Purifoy would both go on to play good games, but their youth was visible early in this one. 

Hopefully they learn from the veterans on how to move against a zone. 

That is one fine breakdown! GA ST plays good defense so not surprising we had some struggles early on especially with the young guys. Really nice being able to have a complete 1and 2 line without much drop off at each position. Someone not playing well? No problem let's try the next guy. It will be interesting to see how the defenses go over the year against us. I'm wondering if we'll see more teams playing zone with as tight as they are calling those hand check and blocking fouls

I think we will see a mixture. If I was coaching against us, I would stay mostly in a zone. Ideally switching in and out of man. Mix in periods of press as well. 

We we are too athletic at the wing position for most teams to be able to match up in man. Also our freshman don't have to think as much in man and are freer to just play. Zone slows them down and makes them think through what they are doing, at least for now. They will improve against it. 

13 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Good job JD much appreciated....................................................on a side note you got wayyyyyyyyy too much time on your hands..........j/k

What can I say, I love basketball...and the holiday slowdown at work has set in.