***Auburn 55 Alabama A&M 0 - Post Game Thread***

RunInRed

57 minutes ago, mikeholiday said:

If Gus can unleash JF3, we may just have a chance against Bama. 

We have no chance with Johnson at qb

I feel this was said last year quite often, and we had a chance for quite a while against UA then. I don't think JF3 was "unleashed" either, he didn't throw a single pass. Man hasn't thrown 10 passes in a game yet. I believe he can make the easy passes the same way Sean and Jeremy do, but apparently Gus does not. We'll likely see him and JF3 frequently, and none of Sean unless he's 100% (WHICH THERE IS NO WAY HE WILL BE GUS, DON'T CREATE ANY MIRAGES FOR YOURSELF)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure I have made my feelings about Gus's ability to return AU to the top clear but I wouldn't be terribly surprised if he finds a way to keep the Iron Bowl close into the 4th quarter.  I just don't think without Sean he can get us over the top against the turds.  Here's to hoping I'm wrong.  

7 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I feel this was said last year quite often, and we had a chance for quite a while against UA then. I don't think JF3 was "unleashed" either, he didn't throw a single pass. Man hasn't thrown 10 passes in a game yet. I believe he can make the easy passes the same way Sean and Jeremy do, but apparently Gus does not. We'll likely see him and JF3 frequently, and none of Sean unless he's 100% (WHICH THERE IS NO WAY HE WILL BE GUS, DON'T CREATE ANY MIRAGES FOR YOURSELF)

If he could, he most likely would be starting.

34 minutes ago, bigbird said:

If he could, he most likely would be starting.

Listening to Stoener last night it sounds like he cannot make a simple throw.    

JMO but there were two objectives:   win the game.....and don't get anyone hurt.... I'm worried about #2 

And...I'm amazed that anyone expected Gus to "unleash" anyone.....have you all been asleep the past 4 or 5 years?   That is not who he is....gripe about it if you want, but accept that Gus is who and what he is and is unlikely to change.  

As for JF3 ....bet he has thrown 1000 passes during practice and scrimmage and yet we think he needs to throw 10 more against an FCS team for Gus to really understand what he can do?     Just saying...that makes no sense to me.

I would really like to take some positives away from the game last night (other than it was a win; that's great) however, it seemed like the team wasn't playing like they should in the first half. meaning, too many 3rd and long to be against a lesser team. A gus coached team has developed a penchant for starting slow and not getting into gear until they get up a couple of scores. I'm afraid when that happens against the turds it may get ugly. I hope i'm wrong about this and they get up on them early and stay on them, but that would almost be uncharacteristic of a Gus coached team. Too many slow starts, but what is the solution to this problem???

17 minutes ago, AU64 said:

And...I'm amazed that anyone expected Gus to "unleash" anyone.....have you all been asleep the past 4 or 5 years?   That is not who he is....gripe about it if you want, but accept that Gus is who and what he is and is unlikely to change.  

As for JF3 ....bet he has thrown 1000 passes during practice and scrimmage and yet we think he needs to throw 10 more against an FCS team for Gus to really understand what he can do?     Just saying...that makes no sense to me.

? like

Biggest takeaways were Bubba will be back for Bama. Montravious Adams shouldn't go down soo easy after the int.  JJ makes me a little more comfortable if Sean goes down again against Bama.  I gotta believe he's #2 next week.

somebody- what's jf3's qbr? from three way battle in august to never being allowed to attempt a pass. if he cant throw, you find out in games like last night. or you forfeit. im sick of it. none of you know if he can throw or not. the only thing you know, is that we need a back-up, and we havent prepared one. how many snaps without an attempt? 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

? like

I can't believe a coach would agree with what he just said, I mean I know you hate the thought of dude playing qb but wow.....u don't see the difference ten live reps would do?

11 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

If Gus didn't unleash JFIII tonight (read as let him throw) he won't against Bama.  I see a game plan that will rival the Clemson game, it will be Gus unleashed.

Just trying to be the optimist, but if JF3 is a better thrower than teams think, why NOT keep him under wraps until Iron Bowl (regarding this week). Don't let Bama think he can throw it, maybe we gash them on the first few possessions and start w/ some momentum. Eh who knows 

12 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I can't believe a coach would agree with what he just said, I mean I know you hate the thought of dude playing qb but wow.....u don't see the difference ten live reps would do?

Obviously I'm not the only coach that feels that way. What I agree with, is that after 1000s of reps in practice if I know a kid can't do things I'm not going to ask him to. 10 live reps wouldn't accomplish a dang thing. And you are correct, I think his talents are being wasted trying to play QB. If he were playing the role Rudy played last night all year, he would've opened up the run/PA game a lot more bringing more success to the offense. The same way OMac opened things up for Cam and Dyer

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Obviously I'm not the only coach that feels that way. What I agree with, is that after 1000s of reps in practice if I know a kid can't do things I'm not going to ask him to. 10 live reps wouldn't accomplish a dang thing. And you are correct, I think his talents are being wasted trying to play QB. If he were playing the role Rudy played last night all year, he would've opened up the run/PA game a lot more bringing more success to the offense.

In that same breath then sw wasn't good enough to be qb until a bunch of emergency situations happened. Also with your logic apparently other coaches thought he could be a qb. Play action would also open up more if we ever threw down field but apparently we don't have a qb that can do so.

But regardless if you have him at qb then yeah ten attempts in every game that we had blow outs would make a world of difference as opposed to running somebody out there with 3 attempts.  This entire logic of not preparing a player because it doesn't matter is one of the most ridiculous made up stories I've ever heard in my life

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

In that same breath then sw wasn't good enough to be qb until a bunch of emergency situations happened. Also with your logic apparently other coaches thought he could be a qb. Play action would also open up more if we ever threw down field but apparently we don't have a qb that can do so.

I agree he wasn't ready last year. That said he was by far our best option.

The other coaches, like Gus, thought they could get him to a level to play QB. However, history has shown that those same coaches, like Gus, have decided he was not.

Play action doesn't open up from throwing. Play action opens from running. Running opens up with a threat to stretch the field vertically.

14 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Just trying to be the optimist, but if JF3 is a better thrower than teams think, why NOT keep him under wraps until Iron Bowl (regarding this week). Don't let Bama think he can throw it, maybe we gash them on the first few possessions and start w/ some momentum. Eh who knows 

Two things: 1, if Gus thought he could throw, why didn't he put him in during the 2nd half of the UGA game?  I don't believe it was because Gus didn't know SW was hurt. If he knew JFIII could throw and didn't put him in the UGA game, to hide it from Saban, he should be fired.

2, Your 2nd sentence falls under the "Gus unleashed" comment.  I always hope for the best.

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I agree he wasn't ready last year. That said he was by far our best option.

The other coaches, like Gus, thought they could get him to a level to play QB. However, history has shown that those same coaches, like Gus, have decided he was not.

Well just like it took time and reps to get sw up to playing why isn't he afforded the same opportunity? Getting reps and getting comfortable does matter, and ten reps would matter plenty, if nothing else with pace.  

You guys are really tripping me out lately, literally no benefit of doubt for one guy but for another so much faith you could walk on water

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

JMO but there were two objectives:   win the game.....and don't get anyone hurt.... I'm worried about #2 

You are accurate about Gus but it makes ZRRO sense for somebody to be playing QB and not have the Greenlight to pass

If you are not going to ever let him pass, move the dang kid. And I don't want to hear about QB depth either. Now, if JJ gets hurt during the iron bowl then what? Oh I guess we would go to Tyler Queen ? and if he doesn't work out? Shoot, I guess we go to the walk on . still, this doesn't answer the question of why the heck is he at QB? if you've seen this kid throw 1000 times and you still do not have confidence in him, move his ass and give those reps to JJ or TQ.

2 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Biggest takeaways were Bubba will be back for Bama. Montravious Adams shouldn't go down soo easy after the int.  JJ makes me a little more comfortable if Sean goes down again against Bama.  I gotta believe he's #2 next week.

I know what they said last night but I would be very surprised if KP plays in the iron bowl. 

58 minutes ago, DAG said:

You are accurate about Gus but it makes ZRRO sense for somebody to be playing QB and not have the Greenlight to pass

If you are not going to ever let him pass, move the dang kid. And I don't want to hear about QB depth either. Now, if JJ gets hurt during the iron bowl then what? Oh I guess we would go to Tyler Queen ? and if he doesn't work out? Shoot, I guess we go to the walk on . still, this doesn't answer the question of why the heck is he at QB? if you've seen this kid throw 1000 times and you still do not have confidence in him, move his ass and give those reps to JJ or TQ.

Shoot....he's seen them all throw a thousand passes......and I expect is trying to make the most out of whatever he has.  

Amazing to me that the team has maintained it's ratings with the backfield and QB injuries and issues.    JMO but seems the coaches actually deserve some credit for finding ways to put a competitive team on the field....a team that has exceeded the expectations of most objective observers.   Certainly the defense is responsible for a good part of the competitiveness...but somehow we've found ways to win some games and end up at #2 in the SEC West. 

14 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Shoot....he's seen them all throw a thousand passes......and I expect is trying to make the most out of whatever he has.  

Amazing to me that the team has maintained it's ratings with the backfield and QB injuries and issues.    JMO but seems the coaches actually deserve some credit for finding ways to put a competitive team on the field....a team that has exceeded the expectations of most objective observers.   Certainly the defense is responsible for a good part of the competitiveness...but somehow we've found ways to win some games and end up at #2 in the SEC West. 

They do get credit. By the pay check they receive. And as long as they are getting paid to field a competitive team, by golly they should be doing that to the best of their ability.

Just now, DAG said:

They do get credit. By the pay check they receive. And as long as they are going paid to field a competitive team, by golly they should be doing that to the best of their ability.

All coaches get a paycheck....some even more than Gus for less accomplishment.  I'm thinking a little credit from fans who can't find anything good to say about any of our coaches. 

I guess you have a job somewhere, but in my experience, hardly anyone works just for a paycheck..... and I doubt you would keep the job you have if all you heard were gripes (maybe considered inaccurate or unreasonable) about your work. 

41 minutes ago, AU64 said:

All coaches get a paycheck....some even more than Gus for less accomplishment.  I'm thinking a little credit from fans who can't find anything good to say about any of our coaches. 

I guess you have a job somewhere, but in my experience, hardly anyone works just for a paycheck..... and I doubt you would keep the job you have if all you heard were gripes (maybe considered inaccurate or unreasonable) about your work. 

Why should Gus care about those fans? Really? He needs to care about what the people who write his paycheck have to say, by continuously putting a competitive team on the field. Guess what? You do that and fans will keep coming to the game and you will keep being employed. 

Umm, excuse me? I am a nurse by trade. I am currently an NP. Beforehand, I was a DON and Regional director of nursing of  multiple Long-term care facilities ,  who were unionized. Please do not talk to me about gripes. I got paid a good chunk of change in that role because I understood that I would be entering the second most regulated field, besides nuclear power. I understood I had to provide continuous quality of care, make sure that we were adequately staffed, keep stock holders happy and juggle family members. It didn't matter if I lived in a rural area, where RNs were hard to find or an urban area, where there were professional issues of conflict. I still had to perform and make sure my buildings performed at the level expected of me. Even when a building went from 3 stars to 5 stars in a couple of years people would gripe. Even if we had a quality survey , there were people who would still complain. It happens. You deal with it because you understand people, but more importantly, you understand responsibility.

So, yes all coaches get paid. Some more than others, but at the end of the day, they all get paid to field a competitive team, for the most part.  

I have no idea how we transitions from JF3 to the credit Gus deserves, but here we are.

Now I will tell you who I will give credit to. I will give credit to SW for always having to fight an uphill battle. I will give credit to JJ for sticking through all of the hills and valleys. I will give credit to our defense, who always maintained composure even when their backs are against the wall. Of course, I could say more. I will give CRL credit for doing the best he could, while seemingly being handcuffed I guess? I mean he deserves credit in his first true year of calling plays by himself. I will give KP credit for stepping up in our time of need when are two "stars" stepped away from our program.

Archived