Alabama A&M Game Report Card

StatTiger

Considering the level of competition this week and Auburn coming off a disappointing loss to Georgia the week before, the players responded with great effort. The offensive game plan was extremely pedestrian on the coaches part, but the players made the most of it. Of Jeremy Johnson's 19 pass attempts, only one was beyond 20-yards of the line of scrimmage. It was the typical pass-offense we have seen during Jeremy Johnson's last six starts. During his last six starts, Johnson has attempted 119 passes for a dismal 6.5 yards per pass attempt. Though he completed 63 percent of his passes, 54 percent of his pass attempts were within 5-yards of the line of scrimmage. This conservative approach is the type of play-calling Alabama will feast upon if we see it again next Saturday. His backup, John Franklin III played 27 snaps in relief of Johnson, with zero pass attempts. During his 78 snaps taken this season in a relief role, JF3 has been allowed to throw the football two times. Even if JF3 is not an efficient passer, the coaching staff gave him no opportunity to improve during his appearances on the field.

The defense played another superb game, posting Auburn's first shutout since 2008. Kevin Steele and his assistants have done a brilliant job this season, preparing the defense for a wide variety of opposing offenses. The 130-yards the Bulldogs were held to was the best Auburn defensive performance since holding Mississippi State to 116 yards in 2008. Alabama A&M was held to 8.7 yards per possession with 42 of their 63 snaps resulting in 2-yards or less. Even when Auburn began to substitute, the younger players performed well, maintaining Auburn's high level of intensity. Kam Martin played particularly well, having a career night with 176-yards rushing on 21 carries. He proved his worth between the tackles despite his size. He along with John Franklin accounted for 251 of Auburn's 451-yards rushing on the night. Jeremy Johnson was efficient with what he was asked to do, but it was a wasted opportunity in not allowing him to throw the football vertically.

Other than Josh Holsey, Auburn appeared to have escaped the game without any additional injuries. The players have improved as the season progressed, but the recent injuries will likely prevent them from cashing in on their effort. Auburn will need all hands on deck next week against Alabama with an aggressive game plan to boot. The Auburn defense has come to play each and every game, and I don't expect anything different during the Iron Bowl. Like they have all year, I expect the defense to give Auburn an opportunity for a colossal upset, but I fear what the offensive brain-trust will offer. There was a time the opposing coaches in the Iron Bowl waited for the other to make the first critical mistake. This conservative approach was possible because the talent level was normally equal on both sides. If Auburn is to be competitive this year, the coaches must give the players an opportunity to make plays. Congratulations to the Auburn seniors for their final victory at Auburn and for all they gave to the program. It has been a pleasure watching the players improve this season, and I hope they have two more victories left to celebrate this season.

War Eagle!

Game #11 Statistical Evaluation (Alabama A&M Game)

Offensive Report Card
01) Avg 6-yards per play on 1st down: [8.66] pass
02) Convert at least 40% of 3rd downs:  [40.0%] pass
03) Avg at least 4.5 yards per rush:  [7.64] pass
04) Score on at least 1/3 of possessions:  [64.3%] pass
05) Keep 3 and out series under 33%:  [7.1%] pass
06) Average 8.0 yards per pass attempt: [7.35 yds] fail
07) Score at least 75% inside red zone:  [100.0%] pass
08) TD red zone above 60%:  [100.0%] pass
09) Avg at least 30-yards per possession:  [39.9 yds] pass
10) 40% of offensive snaps part of scoring drives:  [63.3%] pass
11) TD / Turnover ratio above 1.6:  [7/1] pass
12) TD ratio of at least 1 every 17 snaps:  [11.3] pass
13) At least 8 impact plays:  [12] pass
14) At least 2 big plays:  [5] pass
15) Pass rating of at least 126.3:  [148.2] pass

Score: 14 of 15 (93.3%) Pass

Defensive Report Card:
01) Avg under 6-yards per play on 1st down: [2.69] pass
02) Convert below 35% of 3rd downs:  [21.0%] pass
03) Avg at least 4.0 yards per rush or less:  [1.12] pass
04) Score  1/3 of possessions or below:  [0.0%] pass
05) Keep 3 and out series above 33%:  [53.3%] pass
06) Average below 7.5 yards per pass attempt: [2.64 yds] pass
07) Score below 75% inside red zone:  [0.0%] pass
08) TD red zone below 60%:  [0.0%] pass
09) Avg under 30-yards per possession:  [8.7 yds] pass
10) Less than 40% of offensive snaps part of scoring drives:  [0.0%] pass
11) TD / Turnover ratio below 1.6:  [0 /2] pass
12) TD ratio of at least 1 every 30 snaps:  [63.0] pass
13) Less than 8 impact plays:  [2] pass
14) No more than 2 big plays allowed: [0] pass
15) Pass rating below 125.0:  [50.4] pass

Score: 15 of 15 (1000.0%) Pass

Special Teams Report Card:
1) Punt Average (Above 41.3):  [38.7] fail
2) Punt Return Defense (Below 7.8 YPR): [0.0] pass
3) Punt Return Offense (Above 9.8 YPR): [10.7] pass
4) Kick-Return Defense (Below 21.2 YPR): [14.2] pass
5) Kick-Return Offense (Above 22.3 YPR): [N/A]
6) PAT’s (100%): [7 of 7] pass
7) FG Pct (75% or above): [66.7] fail      

Score: 4 of 6 (66.7%) Pass

* 50% is a passing score.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, StatTiger said:
. This conservative approach is the type of play-calling Alabama will feast upon if we see it again next Saturday. His backup, John Franklin III played 27 snaps in relief of Johnson, with zero pass attempts. During his 78 snaps taken this season in a relief role, JF3 has been allowed to throw the football two times. Even if JF3 is not an efficient passer, the coaching staff gave him no opportunity to improve during his appearances on the field.

And if Gus's first four years as head coach are any indication, he will be conservative. Sad state of affairs this coaching staff is. Not a single pass play called for JF III is pretty abysmal. How do you learn and get better if you're not even given the opportunity (against a mid major no less).

• Like 2

• RunInRed pinned and featured this topic
7 hours ago, murpjf88 said:

And if Gus's first four years as head coach are any indication, he will be conservative. Sad state of affairs this coaching staff is. Not a single pass play called for JF III is pretty abysmal. How do you learn and get better if you're not even given the opportunity (against a mid major no less).

I believe that Gus was innovative during the 2013 and most of 2014.  I agree that he went ultra conservative in 2015 and so far in 2016.  It appears that if Gus trusts his QB he is an "offensive" genius, if not, not so much.  So, Gus, develop a QB that you trust.  We have all been waiting. 

11 hours ago, StatTiger said:

This conservative approach is the type of play-calling Alabama will feast upon if we see it again next Saturday. His backup, John Franklin III played 27 snaps in relief of Johnson, with zero pass attempts. During his 78 snaps taken this season in a relief role, JF3 has been allowed to throw the football two times. Even if JF3 is not an efficient passer, the coaching staff gave him no opportunity to improve during his appearances on the field.

Kam Martin played particularly well, having a career night with 176-yards rushing on 21 carries. He proved his worth between the tackles despite his size. He along with John Franklin accounted for 251 of Auburn's 451-yards rushing on the night. Jeremy Johnson was efficient with what he was asked to do, but it was a wasted opportunity in not allowing him to throw the football vertically.

If Auburn is to be competitive this year, the coaches must give the players an opportunity to make plays. Congratulations to the Auburn seniors for their final victory at Auburn and for all they gave to the program. It has been a pleasure watching the players improve this season, and I hope they have two more victories left to celebrate this season.

War Eagle!

Preach!

I actually expect the scripted play list to open the game will be creative and my get us on top and keep us close until halftime.  Then once adjustments are made, Bama will pull away in the 2nd half.  The score will be respectable, but the game won't be nearly as close as the score would make it appear.  Bammer will stay somewhat conservative because they won't fear a big play from us.

Side note: is it just me, or has the distance on Carlson's kickoffs been declining the last few games?  He didn't even kick one beyond the endzone last night.

Obviously Gus/Rhett have forgotten more about football than I will ever know, but I do wonder why JJ wasn't throwing the ball down field more?

Does Gus think we can beat the turds primarily running the ball with little threat to pass?

Is it a done deal that SW will be back? (My understanding is he most likely will not)

What am I missing or not understanding?

21 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Side note: is it just me, or has the distance on Carlson's kickoffs been declining the last few games?  He didn't even kick one beyond the endzone last night.

I was curious as well. The wind was definitely a factor in the kicking game but I was watching Carlson kick 50-60 yard FGs during warm-ups. Plenty of leg though his accuracy was off a bit on any kick beyond 40.

I was actually wondering if they were kicking a bit short on purpose to give the guys more practice containing returns. If so, it was a good idea. After the first one or two, we were much better containing and tackling the return man.

• Like 2

On November 20, 2016 at 1:27 AM, StatTiger said:

Like they have all year, I expect the defense to give Auburn an opportunity for a colossal upset, but I fear what the offensive brain-trust will offer.

Amen Stat.  I fear it too.  It is so disheartening to see Monty, Carl and those guys on the defense play their hearts out like they did against UGA only to have the game given away.  

JJ's a great Auburn man, but I've said it before-if he starts vs Bammer, we'll get our a.. handed to us due to the lack of any downfield passing game and his inability to pick out secondary receivers, unless we establish a very solid rushing game.

• bigbird unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...