Texas Tech preview

JwgreDeux

Not a whole lot to preview since we are only three games into the season. However, looking at their roster reveals some good info though. They have some huge guys on the roster, but they see very few minutes. Their primary post players are Ross and Smith, who are both 6-9ish (depending at what site you look at). They  led the team in scoring and rebounds respectively last season, a team that went to the NCAA tourney under Tubby Smith, losing in the first round. They also have a guard, Evans, who returns and led them in assists last year. As far as their roster goes, that's about it. Not any players to be afraid of, or really overly concerned about. However, they do have a significant amount of experience that we lack. With this being a destination game, I would put a check mark in their favor. However, we last played Thursday, and they had to play on Saturday, so we have more time to travel and settle in, so maybe that evens out do some degree.  Additionally, while Tubby Smith may have moved on, their new coach, Chris Beard, took his team to the NCAA tournament as well. Little Rock beat Purdue in the first round but that's as far as they got. I watched them play North Florida, and it was an awful game to watch. I'm not sure how much we can make projections based on that game, but I do think I have a decent feel for their talent level. Their talent level is no where near ours skill-wise, however, I expect them to be favored by 5 or so points in this game, based on the various early season metrics that are out there (at the time of this post no betting lines have been posted). While, not overly talented they have experience, they shoot above 50% from the floor, and above 40% from three, but don't shoot free throws very well. Their post players are not big or very athletic, but they are crafty and could possibly teach our younger post players a thing our too about body control. Possibly look for Laron Smith to come up big for us. Their guards can shoot, but they are small and I think they will struggle with our defensive pressure and athleticism. Speaking of athleticism, they have a wing, Justin Gray, who stood out to me as their most athletic player. Slashing, rebounding above the rim, just an all around athlete. He isn't highly skilled in any one area, but gives them a decent option to defend who ever we have get hot.

I think this game comes down to how disciplined we play. If we limit turnovers and rebound relatively well, we should be able to defend them and score enough to win this game. I would expect Purifoy have a big game, as they do not have anyone who can man up on him. Their size is too slow, and their athletes too small. This holds true for Heron and Dunans as well. Poor shooting percentages are common in unfamiliar venues, so a bad shooting first half by either or both team would not be a shock. We can counter this by going to Heron and Purifoy in the paint. So far I like the composure I have seen from this team, and I believe we have the ability to win this game, but this is by far the best team we have faced this season, even if they don't have the best talent. 

Vegas Line: tbt (projected around AU +5 but I'm not line setter).

Time: Tuesday CBS 5pm 

• Like 3

The line was just released. Auburn +4.5 (underdog).

This should be a pretty good game. What i've read and seen stat wise matches up with what you have. Their best players are the forwards who are in the 6'8" range so we should be able to match up ok there between Spence, LeRon, Purifoy, and McClemore. They also have shot an extremely high percentage (makes since if most of points comes from forwards...i.e. up close) so our D will have to play well to keep them from getting those easy shots. If our bigs can limit their bigs scoring we should be able to handle them. If they can't then we'll need some hot 3 point shooting to keep pace. 

1 hour ago, WarEagleFromHoover said:

Sounds like a really good game 

young good talent vs experienced decent talent 

we'll finally get to see what the team looks like against a power 5 opponent 

No such thing in basketball, and if there was the SEC might not be in it. The SEC was tied for 7th, in the number of league teams in the tourney last season: 

ACC: 7 (Highest seed: UNC-1, UVA-1)

Big Ten: 7 (Highest seed: Michigan State-2)

Big 12: 7 (Highest seed: Kansas-1)

Pac-12: 7 (Highest seed: Oregon-1)

Big East: 5 (Highest seed: Villanova-2, Xavier-2)

American: 4 (Highest seed: UConn-8)

SEC: 3 (Highest seed: Texas A&M-3)

A10: 3 (Highest seed: Dayton-7)

15 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

No such thing in basketball, and if there was the SEC might not be in it. The SEC was tied for 7th, in the number of league teams in the tourney last season: 

ACC: 7 (Highest seed: UNC-1, UVA-1)

Big Ten: 7 (Highest seed: Michigan State-2)

Big 12: 7 (Highest seed: Kansas-1)

Pac-12: 7 (Highest seed: Oregon-1)

Big East: 5 (Highest seed: Villanova-2, Xavier-2)

American: 4 (Highest seed: UConn-8)

SEC: 3 (Highest seed: Texas A&M-3)

A10: 3 (Highest seed: Dayton-7)

I know that in college basketball technically there isn't a power 5 persay but most ppl consider the Big 12 as the best conference. Some say they're #2 behind the ACC . Either way Texas Tech is the In The Big 12 so what I meant is we finally get to see them against a team that's in a quality conference 

Interesting thing about the Cancun challenge is that 2 of the other 3 teams in the challenge have had common opponents with AU this early in the season. AU will be playing Texas Tech that beat E. KY in its last game about like AU beat E. KY last week. Also, it's entirely possible to face Purdue in the 2nd game, who had to come-back to defeat Georgia State in its last game. Could be a very revealing week of bball for AU!

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Anybody know if this is gonna be on directv? I can't find it on the guide

Broadcast by CBS sports network channel 221 at 5pm.

16 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

Interesting thing about the Cancun challenge is that 2 of the other 3 teams in the challenge have had common opponents with AU this early in the season. AU will be playing Texas Tech that beat E. KY in its last game about like AU beat E. KY last week. Also, it's entirely possible to face Purdue in the 2nd game, who had to come-back to defeat Georgia State in its last game. Could be a very revealing week of bball for AU!

Those games were part of the Cancun Challenge, designed. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JwgreDeux said:

Broadcast by CBS sports network channel 221 at 5pm.

Those games were part of the Cancun Challenge, designed. 

I figured it was more than a coincidence. ;)

Here's a decent write up by College and Mag: http://www.collegeandmagnolia.com/2016/11/21/13706408/auburn-basketball-2016-cancun-challenge-preview has some info about the next teams we might face as well. 

I do agree with his view that we need to get a win in Cancun to continue dreaming of the big dance. if we go 0-2, it will be a very sobering outlook adjustment, go 2-0 and there will be some real hype around this team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JwgreDeux said:

Here's a decent write up by College and Mag: http://www.collegeandmagnolia.com/2016/11/21/13706408/auburn-basketball-2016-cancun-challenge-preview has some info about the next teams we might face as well. 

I do agree with his view that we need to get a win in Cancun to continue dreaming of the big dance. if we go 0-2, it will be a very sobering outlook adjustment, go 2-0 and there will be some real hype around this team. 

I agree 100% with this post. We need to win 1 game which i think we are very capable of doing. Win 2 and the hype train comes to town. Which i would like to see for this program but i dont want it to get to there heads and then we get beat by USC Upstate because we thought we were too good. I think we also need to beat uab. That will look good on our resume.

Edited by weathergeakal

As we approach 3 hours from game time, the betting line has moved to Auburn +6, as most of the "pickers" like Texas Tech's metrics. I have to say, I don't disagree with their view of the metrics, but to me Tech doesn't pass the eye test. At this stage of the season, we haven't done anything to get us the benefit of the doubt in the public's mind so I'm not surprised at all in the line on this game. 

I would expect to see CBP be quicker to go to the veterans on the bench in the event of a slow or sloppy start. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a tweak to the starting line-up, but hope that we don't. With several other SEC school losing in their respective holiday tournaments, we have a chance to make a bit of noise tonight. Hoping for an up tempo, full court press, fast start to the action tonight. 

Thanks for the station and time....I would have missed the game otherwise...not used to such an early start for AU

Wonder what % of AU fans have CBSSN channel available? I had it available when I had Dish Network, and I assume it's also on DirectTV, just don' t know about other content providers. I shore don't have it now.

Edited by tigeraddikt

8 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

Wonder what % of AU fans have CBSSN channel available? I had it available when I had Dish Network, and I assume it's also on DirectTV, just don' t know about other content providers. I shore don't have it now.

I do not have cable. I use a Roku and CBS Sports Network does not have an app. FoxSporst, NBCSN, and espn apps available. I 

2 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

I do not have cable. I use a Roku and CBS Sports Network does not have an app. FoxSporst, NBCSN, and espn apps available. I 

Yeah I have a Roku with Sling and an antenna. For $25/month I get more sports than my wife is happy about.

On November 21, 2016 at 4:44 PM, WarEagleFromHoover said:

I know that in college basketball technically there isn't a power 5 persay but most ppl consider the Big 12 as the best conference. Some say they're #2 behind the ACC . Either way Texas Tech is the In The Big 12 so what I meant is we finally get to see them against a team that's in a quality conference 

Funny deal here. Announcers continually calling TT "The oldest power 5 team in college basketball" ....so there's that :laugh: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

Yeah I have a Roku with Sling and an antenna. For $25/month I get more sports than my wife is happy about.

Can you pm me where you get your sports and if it's an annual deal or just by the month?  I use the KODI app (unreal for movies and tv shows, but not always great on live sports).  I am looking for a service for next football season but don't want a whole years worth. ?

5 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

Can you pm me where you get your sports and if it's an annual deal or just by the month?  I use the KODI app (unreal for movies and tv shows, but not always great on live sports).  I am looking for a service for next football season but don't want a whole years worth. ?

SlingTV is month to month. They used to have a fairly simple model but now it's not complicated, though they use two great colors to describe their base package (Orange and Blue of course).  If I wasn't getting Orange for $13 a month from T-Mobile (I have 2 $5 add ons as well, sports and kids), I'd probably do PlayStation Vue. It has all the channels I'm interested in (I think) and it includes a cloud DVR (you don't have to have local storage). 

8 minutes ago, jared52 said:

SlingTV is month to month. They used to have a fairly simple model but now it's not complicated, though they use two great colors to describe their base package (Orange and Blue of course).  If I wasn't getting Orange for $13 a month from T-Mobile (I have 2 $5 add ons as well, sports and kids), I'd probably do PlayStation Vue. It has all the channels I'm interested in (I think) and it includes a cloud DVR (you don't have to have local storage). 

Slingtv. Awesome. Thanks!  Will look into it!

8 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

Slingtv. Awesome. Thanks!  Will look into it!

Both SlingTV and PlayStation Vue offer a trial period so try both and see which you like. 

5 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Both SlingTV and PlayStation Vue offer a trial period so try both and see which you like. 

Probably gonna be hard to get vue on my 360 lol. Haven't played video games in years so likely won't be upgrading the 360 any time soon. I'll look into slingTv though. Thanks