What a huge win

tigerbrotha12

TTU will probably be in tournament again. They are experienced and a solid group of players. Got a little lucky in the end, but you knew our youth would show at some points this year. Much better for it to show in a win!! 

Indeed. Basketball is a game of runs and it felt like TT was on a run 5 min into the half that never ended. They were hot with several guys. They hit shots that were wide open and contested. They drove and got fouls when necessary. It was a good half for them they came up short and provided a good lesson for the young guys.

Happy with the win. Should bolster the NIT resume. 

This is a game we probably lose last year...and yeah, the youth showed at the end. It's worth noting that arguably the two biggest plays were made by upperclassmen  (steal and layup by Dunans, block by Smith). A learning experience and no loss at the end of it. 

Best of both worlds...AU wins and Pearl gets some good coaching points.

3 minutes ago, SLAG-91 said:

This is a game we probably lose last year...and yeah, the youth showed at the end. It's worth noting that arguably the two biggest plays were made by upperclassmen  (steal and layup by Dunans, block by McLemore). A learning experience and no loss at the end of it. 

Best of both worlds...AU wins and Pearl gets some good coaching points.

Smith, not McLemore. But your point is correct. 

Best news out of this win IMO: we played pretty much an entire half of just average or below average BBall and still found a way to beat a possible tournament team. Our youth nearly cost us this game but it didn't. Fastest way to turn youth into experienced veterans: win close games against quality opponents. If we can somehow find a way to be the team we were in the first half for just 3/4 of every game, I think we are NCAA bound. 

Second best news out of this win IMO: Our staring lineup consists of freshman and sophomores. Now granted we may lose one after this year, but having these guys back next year and maybe even the year after that, along with the new talent Bruce can bring in.... whooaaaaa...  Elite 8/ final 4 isnt out of the question within the next 2 years. When is the last time we as AU fans even remotely considered that possibility to not be a fantasy, let alone reality?  :bananadance:

11 minutes ago, weathergeakal said:

Still dont understand how they missed out on the tourny. they were better then vandy IMO.

They played a terribly soft pre-conference schedule if I remember correctly. 

Great first half by the Tigers coupled with a very fortunate second half. The poor free throw shooting reared its ugly head again. Thankfully it didn't bite us in the butt this time! The true test of this team is our next game. We have a tremendous opportunity against a ranked opponent. Let's hope we make great strides after this victory!

Yep, Smith with the block. My bad.

Hope we get Purdue tomorrow...would be good experience for our guys, especially the frontcourt.

1 minute ago, CameronCrazy said:

Great first half by the Tigers coupled with a very fortunate second half. The poor free throw shooting reared its ugly head again. Thankfully it didn't bite us in the butt this time! The true test of this team is our next game. We have a tremendous opportunity against a ranked opponent. Let's hope we make great strides after this victory!

Purdue hasn't won yet.... but your point is still valid. We either get Purdue or a team good enough to beat them. 

Weird note from this game:

TT beat Eastern Kentucky by 19, we beat EKU by 21... a difference of 2 in our favor. Now we just beat TT by 2. Direct comparisons between teams and common opponents rarely ever work out, let alone perfectly. Oddly strange and kind of cool. 

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

4-0 baby going undefeated this year.

only 9 more games...guess it could happen....

I would agree in that my favorite part was that we found a way to win even while playing a somewhat lackluster second half compared to the first half. Basketball games tend to have a way of getting close at the end, being the team that finds ways to come away with those extra 2-3 points in the last two minutes (Dunnan's steal and score as well as Smith's block preventing two points) is huge. 

the Purdue game will be interesting. Their big guys beat up on Villanova and our first ranked opponent. It's going to be hard to get rebounds when they have both of their 6'9+ guys in at the same time, I imagine.

Glad we can be disappointed in a blowout Turing into a close finish while Indiana has to deal with the loss to Fort Wayne (is that a high school team?) in OT. IU's walking should have been able to beat that team. Yikes. 

I missed the game today, but I am glad they came away with a win. In the games I have seen it appears Horace Spencers has greatly improved. I really like the fact he's not in foul trouble 2 minutes after entering the game.

10 hours ago, weathergeakal said:

Still dont understand how they missed out on the tourny. they were better then vandy IMO.

Nonconference SOS was atrocious. That's always going to get you in the committees eyes if you don't dominate your conference.

8 hours ago, jared52 said:

Glad we can be disappointed in a blowout Turing into a close finish while Indiana has to deal with the loss to Fort Wayne (is that a high school team?) in OT. IU's walking should have been able to beat that team. Yikes. 

IPFW is a decent team. They won their regular season conference title last year. They also played well with a deep Arkansas team this year (9 point loss).

I thought that our coaching staff didn't do anything to stop the bleeding late in the game. There's usually some critical point where a coach calls a timeout, does (or at least tries to do) SOMETHING, anything! He knows his players and I don't but still...I didn't see them getting any help from the sideline.

This is not a bash Pearl statement, I'm glad Coach Pearl is here. As an old coach, I kept watching for something from the sidelines and it never came. Am I the only one that saw it this way?

Archived