Recruiting Rankings

LegalEagle

It doesn't really help for you to post a link when you can't get the article unless you're a registered member. It would be good if you could post the article.

Though recruiting rankings mean little when it comes to being #1 and such....I do think it is easy to see that the teams consistently in the Top 10-15 are the ones who are winning on the field

It doesn't really help for you to post a link when you can't get the article unless you're a registered member.  It would be good if you could post the article.

142755[/snapback]

Did you ever think of registering? It is free you know.

I agree with Power I, do a quick copy and paste with the link. I don't want my personal information in the database of every newspaper across the land and don't want to take the time to fill in all the blanks either.

It is well within board guidelines to post the content as well as the link in this particular context. My only problem is that they want your address and everything to register on that site.......

:au:

Auburn is still looking at a handful of prospects. The remaining targets are running backs Antone Smith of Pahokee, Fla., and Chris Dunham of Columbus, Ga.; defensive end Bobby Greenwood of Prattville; wide receiver Richard Goodman of Fort Lauderdale; and cornerback Walter McFadden of Pompano Beach, Fla.

Smith is considering Auburn, Miami, Florida and Florida State and will announce his choice on ESPN on Wednesday. Dunham committed early to Florida State but is considering a switch to Auburn. Greenwood is considering Auburn, Alabama and Florida State. Goodman is expected to choose Auburn or Florida State. McFadden is considering Auburn, Michigan State, Florida, Illinois and South Florida but is said to be leaning toward Auburn.

Regardless of what happens before Wednesday, Auburn coaches are convinced they have filled their needs and will have the kind of signing class a team coming off a 13-0 season ought to have.

The Class of 2005 will lack the star power of a highly regarded quarterback, but that was by design. Sophomore Brandon Cox and redshirt freshmen Calvin Booker and Blake Field will compete for the starting job in the spring. Auburn did not actively recruit a quarterback.

But the Tigers scored heavily in the areas they emphasized. They landed the consensus No. 1 player in Alabama in tight end Tommy Trott of Trinity School in Montgomery. They got a commitment from the consensus No. 1 defensive player in Georgia in linebacker Tray Blackmon of LaGrange.

That Auburn has limited space speaks to the overall health of the program as Tuberville heads toward his seventh season. There was no room for projects in this class.

Linebackers, tight ends, defensive linemen, wide receivers and defensive backs were the priorities, and the Tigers scored big in all of those areas.

Blackmon, Patrick Trahan of New Orleans and Rex Sharpe of Fairfield all are considered potential impact players at linebacker. Ditto for ends Alonzo Horton of New Orleans and Antonio Coleman of Mobile and tackles Rudy Odom of Mandeville, La., Sen'Derrick Marks of Prichard and Brian West of Beaumont, Texas.

The Tigers landed the state's top wide receiver in Pelham's Montez Billings and one of the nation's top junior college prospects in wide receiver Prechae Rodriguez, a 6-foot-4 playmaker from Coffeyville Community College. They got the state's top cornerback in Decatur's Jerraud Powers, one of the top cornerbacks in Georgia in Albany's Aairon Savage and another junior college star in Jonathan Wilhite from Butler County (Kan.) Community College.

They found the offensive linemen they wanted early and secured commitments from Michael Harness of Columbus, Ga., and Oscar Gonzalez of Miami.

But at no position did the Tigers score more strongly than at tight end. Trott is expected to make an early impact as a freshman. Gabe McKenzie of Davidson High School in Mobile is generally rated among the top three prospects in the state. Andrew McCain of Briarwood Christian in Birmingham, an imposing 6-foot-6 and 260 pounds, could play tight end or eventually move to an interior position.

Auburn coaches say it's been a good year. How good?

That will be determined on the field. :au:

There's no question that UT, UGA and FLA have had banner years recruiting. One possible reason given why Auburn has not done quite as well is the fact that we are already loaded. However, so is UT and UGA, and FLA is very young.

It's puzzling to me why we haven't done better across the board such as RB's, OL, and DL, and another aspect puzzles me too. It's usually SOP to try and recruit a top QB every year, since the position lends itself to injury and not working out so often. It would seem to me that the pub that JC has received this year and the presence of OC CAB would encourage more candidates to be interested in t he Tigers. I'm sure that CTT is satisfied with the prospects we now have committed, but THIS SHOULD have been our year to have everybody interested......... OH well, just a thought when I'm sitting in that little room without windows... WDE! :au:<_<

It's usually SOP to try and recruit a top QB every year, since the position lends itself to injury and not working out so often. It would seem to me that the pub that JC has received this year and the presence of OC CAB would encourage more candidates to be interested in t he Tigers.

142788[/snapback]

CTT has stated publically numerous times that we were not actively recruiting a QB this year. That is why we have not gotten any. We can only give out 25 scholarships this year. We have 4 QB's on the roster and at least 5 RB's. There is no reason to give a scholly to a QB or RB this year because we have more pressing needs like TE, DE, etc.

There's no question that UT, UGA and FLA have had banner years recruiting. One possible reason given why Auburn has not done quite as well is the fact that we are already loaded. However, so is UT and UGA, and FLA is very young.

It's puzzling to me why we haven't done better across the board such as RB's, OL, and DL, and another aspect puzzles me too. It's usually SOP to try and recruit a top QB every year, since the position lends itself to injury and not working out so often. It would seem to me that the pub that JC has received this year and the presence of OC CAB would encourage more candidates to be interested in t he Tigers. I'm sure that CTT is satisfied with the prospects we now have committed, but THIS SHOULD have been our year to  have everybody interested......... OH well, just a thought when I'm sitting in that little room without windows... WDE! :au:   <_<

142788[/snapback]

I found you comments interesting, so here are some quotes from Coach T. :)

AUBURN - Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville sat back in his chair and laughed.

"Where does this stuff come from?" he said, shaking his head at a newspaper story that reported Auburn coaches were disappointed with their recruiting class. "This is going to be as good a group, maybe the best, I've ever been around. We're sure not disappointed."

Why don't those of you who believe you know more than CTT and his staff about AU's needs and recruiting go to the athletic department and apply for a job!!! Look at the man's track record..... he takes "two star" players and puts them in the NFL while TN takes "five star" players and puts them in jail. CTT may not be the best game day coach or offensive strategist, but anyone who questions his ability to evaluate talent has not been paying attention over the last few years. When he does go after the occasional "five star", they also have the off-field attributes that he looks for. Jason and Carnell are two fine examples of that. CTT does NOT recruit to look good for the experts and fans in February; he recruits to fill needs on the field and looks for players who can qualify and graduate. The fact that so many are still in school is the reason that we can only give 20 or so schollies this year and that our class will not rank among the top ten when evaluated by the "experts".

Those of you who are not smart enough to understand this, please note: There is a smaller school in west Alabama that signs tons of players each year and always looks good to the "experts". I'm sure they could use a few "fans" after being dominated on the field by AU for the last few years.

Hey, don't give all the credit to UT. uat can send 'em to prison too! :lol:

EX broke it down very well and really points out how CTT has filled the needs at every position with numbers and with great overall athletes. It also says something about the quality of the athletes when you're going to the wire with schools like Miami, UF and FSU for these kids. Landing one or two of those remaining kids will give this class all the "Star power" anyone could want. That breakdown EX gave has got me all fired up.

Archived