Things I saw - Purdue

JwgreDeux

Purdue 96 - Auburn 71

Gotta say, I'm not that surprised by the result of this game. We needed everything to go right to win this game and that just wasn't in the cards tonight. 

First, I wasn't shocked to see CBP switch up the starting lineup and go with Johnson over Harper, I alluded to it in my Texas Tech preview. Unfortunately, it didn't produce the results we were looking for. 

The first half wasn't bad at all. We pressured the ball and frustrated the entry passes and limited their post players offense. We did an ok job in the offensive end but settled for too many jump shots. The last two possessions foreshadowed what was to come. We took the lead and then caused a turnover, but we turned the ball over in the inbounds giving up a three point show giving Purdue the lead and the momentum. 

In the second half we just plain got whipped. Their superior team was clicking and there wasn't much we could do to stop it. We exacerbated the situation with poor communication on defense leading to wide open shots for them. When they would make a three our young guys would try to match them and take poor shots, leading to a low percentage. I don't think this team quit. I think it was a product of a bunch of young guys not sure how to respond. Each guy looking at the other and expecting someone else to do something. 

The most disappointing part was that this blowout was a result of our poor perimeter defense, NOT our interior defense. Size did not lose us this game. Not sure if our guys were out of gas or what but the pressure wasn't there. We have to have it to be competitive with good teams. 

The upside is we will learn from this game. Our young guns got a reality check from a skilled seasoned team and we can move in with our heads up; this loss does nothing to hurt our tourney chances. In fact it HELPS them by playing such a quality team. 

Right now Wisconsin is getting blown out by UNC by 24 points. It happens. 

Do not throw in the towel on this team. We got what we came for, a good win and some good experience. Tech blew out Utah State today by the way, making our win look even better. 

I still like this team. How we respond to this loss is very important. Remember that these early season games favor the teams that have already established chemistry and roles. We are still working that out (evidenced by the lineup change). 

Need to handle some business back home. 

Good notes, way too early to give up on this team.  One loss does not kill us.  We needed a loss to learn from, better it be early from a quality team than later and lead to overconfidence.  Did not see the game, so glad to know it was not size inside that hurt us as tht has been my concern through the first couple of games - we rely too much on the three and not working inside.  We have to be able to hold our own inside in the SEC.

9 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

. I don't think this team quit.

Each guy looking at the other and expecting someone else to do something. 

I agree with most of your points. We are young and undersized (even though 3 years into recruiting we should not be undersized). This team has talent and when things are going well can play with most teams and will only get better

The 1 thing I disagree with is the quote above. You pretty much described a team quitting. If you're looking around expecting someone else to take care of defending, then you've quit. I do feel they quit for a period of time, and in that short period of time we went from down 10-12 to down 25. If that's is not quitting and we are just capable of being whipped that badly, we are in trouble. I sure hope it was quitting, or somehow the entire team ran out of gas at the same exact moment (which I doubt). 

I also agree that we need a little more time to build chemistry and that was a factor in this game. If and when we build some better chemistry, I'd expect a different reaction than the quitting I saw in this game. That alone could make a huge difference. This team has potential, but at the moment that is all it is. We need to get back in the gym and fine tune it. Also, looks like we may get another big body coming in January. If he's ready to play on day 1, that could help a little. 

59 minutes ago, GBAU83 said:

Good notes, way too early to give up on this team.  One loss does not kill us.  We needed a loss to learn from, better it be early from a quality team than later and lead to overconfidence.  Did not see the game, so glad to know it was not size inside that hurt us as tht has been my concern through the first couple of games - we rely too much on the three and not working inside.  We have to be able to hold our own inside in the SEC.

Don't get me wrong, their size hurt us, mainly rebounding, but we knew it would hurt us. The thing that decided this game was the fact they shot such an unbelievable percentage from the field and from three. 

I have only watched parts of 3 games but in each of the 3 our offense looked to be run down the court and chuck a jump shot up. Did not seem to be much challenge for offensive rebounds. Again only part of 3 games seen on my part.

Ran into a buzzsaw in the second half and couldn't stop the bleeding. Offense deteriorated into too much 1-on-1, and when that went in the tank, so did the defensive effort.

To their credit, Purdue was excellent in the second half. 17 of 26 from 3 is tough to do during shootaround, never mind a game. 

Better days are ahead...nights like that one will hopefully be few and far between going forward.

On the perimeter defense/lack of

seems our defensive focus was to try and deny the post passes from outside of the arc and to help downlow if Haas/the other guy had the ball in the post. 

It was a good idea and it really helped keep them from trying us downlow too much (Dunnans steal playing help on Haas is a good example)

purdue adjusted and came out taking quick shots when we were giving them the three and got hot doing it. We didn't seem to adjust to that until it was too late.

offensively, we need someone who is able to step up and help the team out when we are in a slump. Easier said than done with the lack of experience

The pessimism I've seen on these boards unreal about out bball team. This is a good talented team that just isn't experienced. They are 4-1 and could likely move to 5-1 next week. We've already got 2 wins over pretty quality teams this year, one of them a well established veteran tournament team. The sky is not falling because we got beat by a nationally ranked team who is probably good enough to be in the Top 10. Might I add that if purdue were to have shot their average percentage from the field last night, Auburn actually would've won the game. That's right.

Purdue was 17 of 26 from 3 point range. If they would've shot their average from behind the arc, they would've scored 21.4 points less. If they shoot their average from 2 point, those points go below the amount they beat us by. I'm not justifying I'm just saying Purdue shot the lights out last night and sometimes, you just can't defend a team that is that hot from the field. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

The pessimism I've seen on these boards unreal about out bball team. This is a good talented team that just isn't experienced. They are 4-1 and could likely move to 5-1 next week. We've already got 2 wins over pretty quality teams this year, one of them a well established veteran tournament team. The sky is not falling because we got beat by a nationally ranked team who is probably good enough to be in the Top 10. Might I add that if purdue were to have shot their average percentage from the field last night, Auburn actually would've won the game. That's right.

Purdue was 17 of 26 from 3 point range. If they would've shot their average from behind the arc, they would've scored 21.4 points less. If they shoot their average from 2 point, those points go below the amount they beat us by. I'm not justifying I'm just saying Purdue shot the lights out last night and sometimes, you just can't defend a team that is that hot from the field. 

I'm with you 100%. Our defensive communication needs work but our guys are still feeling each other out and communication and on court chemistry on both ends will only improve from here. Sometimes you have to tip your cap to the opposition. 

We showed up, got a win that will look great on the resume at the end of the season, and got a big time learning experience for our young guys. We played two very good teams imo.

Bottom line is we leave Cancun a better team than we were when we arrived. Now it's on to USC Upstate and the remainder of the season.

• Like 1

Losing isnt the issue. its that the team quit.  they got into sp adversity and instead of manning up and  dealing, they quit. Also to me the biggest difference between first half and second was the perimeter defense. on the first half they played the big well and still guarded the 3. still gave  up some open  shots but nothing like 2nd half.  purdue adjusted and we did not and instead of playing with effort when down, they folded and allowd themselves to get embarrassed. if they made adjustments and played with the same effort that saw a double digit deficit go to a lead, Au would have had a legit shot at winning

Edited by auburntiger1987

Quitting is used too quickly by people that couldn't possibly know....But anyway size plays a big role with perimeter defense as well, if nothing else if we had it we'd have our best perimeter defenders on the perimeter where they should be and nothing is a better defender of good shooters than length. Nothing. Not quick feet, not strength, but length. 

And it won't be mostly the bigs that will give us problems as far as scoring. It will be the guards will take their mismatches in the post, or the passing out of the double to a wide open shooter. So there will need to be an even greater emphasis on us being efficient offensively to force other teams to play our game. 

Lastly the size rebounding hurts us bad. You might as well chalk offensive rebounds as points for the other team. If we get out rebounded and give up 6 offensive rebounds that's more than likely at the least ten points off the rip

I guarantee anybody already critical of this team were that way before they ever played one single game. There are a few on here that are going to hyper anal on every little thing they can

Edited by cole256
  • Like 2

This team is a blast to watch.  The game the other day was a bummer but I didn't feel like we didn't compete - we just got beat.

cole that is a great point about the doubles.  We HAD to double their behemoth down low and they kicked it out time and again, along with great ball movement/screens, for open shots.  Some of their guys who haven't been scorers absolutely torched the basket.

We held Haas to half his point average and 8 freaking turnovers.  That part of the game plan worked.  They had other shooters go way over their averages.  

20 hours ago, auburntiger1987 said:

Losing isnt the issue. its that the team quit.  they got into sp adversity and instead of manning up and  dealing, they quit. Also to me the biggest difference between first half and second was the perimeter defense. on the first half they played the big well and still guarded the 3. still gave  up some open  shots but nothing like 2nd half.  purdue adjusted and we did not and instead of playing with effort when down, they folded and allowd themselves to get embarrassed. if they made adjustments and played with the same effort that saw a double digit deficit go to a lead, Au would have had a legit shot at winning

Respect your opinion but totally disagree with you position that the team "quit." Did/Do you play basketball competitively? When a team shoots almost 70% from 3 point range with 26 shots, it's demoralizing to a team. They were drained. It's not that they quit, they got frustrated and began trying to force things, hence the quick (bad) shots. 70% 3 point shooting is never the product of bad defense. Great shooters rarely shoot 7/10 from 3 point range in three point shootouts. When a team is hot, they're hot, and you can't do much to counter other than just happen to get hot yourself. It didn't happen, and a young team got frustrated. We will learn and improve. 

5 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Respect your opinion but totally disagree with you position that the team "quit." Did/Do you play basketball competitively? When a team shoots almost 70% from 3 point range with 26 shots, it's demoralizing to a team. They were drained. It's not that they quit, they got frustrated and began trying to force things, hence the quick (bad) shots. 70% 3 point shooting is never the product of bad defense. Great shooters rarely shoot 7/10 from 3 point range in three point shootouts. When a team is hot, they're hot, and you can't do much to counter other than just happen to get hot yourself. It didn't happen, and a young team got frustrated. We will learn and improve. 

I respect yours as well. As for your question, yes I did play competitive basketball for years including traveling and camps. While it is demoralizing for a team to adjust and hit the 3 so well, it would have been a lot easier on them to have guarded and at least made it a little harder for them to hit. I agree that it is an anomaly for them to have hit that many shots anyway but the effort was not strong to me. I also do agree that they should learn from it and improve. WDE

1 hour ago, mustache eagle said:

This team is a blast to watch.  The game the other day was a bummer but I didn't feel like we didn't compete - we just got beat.

Yep. And I'll be watching on the 29th.

16 minutes ago, auburntiger1987 said:

I respect yours as well. As for your question, yes I did play competitive basketball for years including traveling and camps. While it is demoralizing for a team to adjust and hit the 3 so well, it would have been a lot easier on them to have guarded and at least made it a little harder for them to hit. I agree that it is an anomaly for them to have hit that many shots anyway but the effort was not strong to me. I also do agree that they should learn from it and improve. WDE

I'll agree to disagree on that. To me, the contesting was there, Purdue just couldn't miss. Didn't mean the whole "did you play ball" to be a sarcastic comment, was actually inquiring; I know there are people on here who sprout off opinions and have never played the sport. Can certainly respect a differing opinion from one who has experienced the game as well.

3 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I'll agree to disagree on that. To me, the contesting was there, Purdue just couldn't miss. Didn't mean the whole "did you play ball" to be a sarcastic comment, was actually inquiring; I know there are people on here who sprout off opinions and have never played the sport. Can certainly respect a differing opinion from one who has experienced the game as well.

Absolutely! And I did not think you meant that question with any Ill will. that's the beauty,  everyone has a different way they interpret what they've seen. i apologize for coming on strong as well.  

• Like 1

When looking at the numbers for our game this week vs Upstate, I was looking over the box score and wanted to point one thing out. We were out rebounded by 17 vs Purdue. When I was watching the game, I knew they out rebounded us, but 17 is a lot. So I looked at the numbers and realized they were skewed by how few shots Purdue missed and therefore how few defensive rebounds we collected. When they missed, we rebounded the ball 70% of the time, and allowed an offensive rebound 30% of the time, leading to 12 second chance points. Those number aren't great, but they aren't terrible either, and they didn't cost us the game. When we missed, Purdue rebounded the pall 77% of the time and we got an offensive rebound 23% of the time, leading to 8 second chance points. The rebounding wasn't as bad as I originally thought, and the second chance points were much closer than I would have guessed right after the game as well. 

All this goes back to the difference in the game being our sub-par perimeter pressure and their outstanding shooting display. 

• Like 1