Things I Think I Saw: Auburn vs Alabama....

JMR

6 minutes ago, muxi87 said:

I've looked forward to your thread every week.  Always well written and to the point.  Thanks!

Thanks, muxi! Appreciate it.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JMR said:
...I sincerely hope reading them has been worth your time. WAR EAGLE!!

Worth every minute.

Many Thanks, and

WDE back at'cha

Edited by AUinTLoosa

War Eagle, coach!

31 minutes ago, JMR said:

• Javaris Davis, the redshirt freshman corner, made a half-dozen key tackles in the open field. His one-on-one tackles tackles in the open field were huge in the game, and made me think of Carlos Rodgers in 2004.

This was the brightest spot for me yesterday. It was wonderful to see open field tackles.

• Like 2

Thanks for an excellent report . It was nice to read an analysis and commentary from someone who did not appear to be caught up in the emotion of the game . Just my opinion but considering Auburns injury problems the team did pretty well.  Fatigue was definitely a factor. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the article, I enjoyed each weeks "Things I think I saw".  Please continue next year, I'm looking forward to them.

• Like 1

• RunInRed featured and pinned this topic

I appreciate your insight! I'm not as down on my team as some on here and other places.  I think we have a bright future.  We have a few week spots that need to be addressed and hopefully, CGM will handle them. We definitely need some help at QB and our DE's let way to many plays get outside of them.  I have noticed a particular player that you mentioned whiff on several occasions in a few games this year and I hope it motivates him to come back and get better. Thanks again and WDE!

This truly is a "team" game. If the offense stays on the field longer in the 1st half then maybe the defense isn't as tired in the 2nd half. The one thing that I was most disappointed about was the ineffectiveness of Lawson & Adams. Our DL in general really let me down, but I truly expected those two guys to make some plays. 

Overall I really wasn't that angry after this game, just frustrated. The game that really pissed me off was Georgia. We have to take care of business against the teams that we are supposed to beat next year. UAT & the leg humpers come to the plains next year. If we can make it through our early away games then I think we'll be much more successful next year. 

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your thoughts and looked forward to them each week!  Please don't wait until next year to offer your insight!

2 hours ago, JMR said:

• The rotating quarterback plan to begin the game was a disappointment, bringing back unpleasant memories of this year’s Clemson game, and indicating, at least to me, that we didn’t feel we had a QB available that we could win the game with. I did feel going into the game that we would pretty much have to play both Jeremy Johnson and John Franklin III, but I didn’t envision a change after each play, nor did I anticipate using Chandler Cox in the Wildcat role.
  • From an Auburn standpoint, it doesn’t matter now, but I don’t believe Jeremy Johnson’s passing problems are correctable. As a college senior, he is still staring down his intended target, and is almost always late throwing the ball. In the first half, JJ was 3-of-9 for 7 yards. 

Thanks Coach, for posting this all season long.  I think I can safely speak for all other AU fans in saying none of us would mind if you would kindly consider adding one more of these posts for the bowl game. 

I'd like to comment on your QB observations.  I know a lot of people don't like Gary Danielson but his analysis is usually spot on and devoid of fluff.  He said AU needed consistent QB play to beat uat, and that he thought JFIII gave them the best chance to do that.  I agree with your assessment that the constant revolving door at QB is a huge disappointment, especially this late in the season. 

• Like 1

December 2015 waiting to see if QB will be healthy for Bowl game
December 2016 waiting to see if QB will be healthy for Bowl game

Are we the only team in SEC without a backup QB?

• Like 1

Things I think I saw through out the year and why a change is needed to take step forward.   1.) I believe AU needs a new dline coach.  A coach that has actually played the position at a high level and is a great teacher.  2.) new OC.  Someone that brings multiple styles and blends some of the plays Gus likes with his own style. Gus has to let them develop and implement their own game plan and play calls.  3.) the head coach has got to step up to the microphone and take responsibility when things aren't going right and never should publicly place any of the fault with players.  4.) recruit nasty dline men and linebackers 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Auctoritas said:

War Eagle, coach!

• Javaris Davis, the redshirt freshman corner, made a half-dozen key tackles in the open field. His one-on-one tackles tackles in the open field were huge in the game, and made me think of Carlos Rodgers in 2004.

This was the brightest spot for me yesterday. It was wonderful to see open field tackles.

I also enjoyed reading these post after every game Coach, I would like to add that in addition to Javaris Davis making good plays, that Stephen Roberts has really come on the last couple of weeks, he always seems to be around the ball, and especially reads the runs very well. 

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

Things I think I saw through out the year and why a change is needed to take step forward.   1.) I believe AU needs a new dline coach.  A coach that has actually played the position at a high level and is a great teacher.  2.) new OC.  Someone that brings multiple styles and blends some of the plays Gus likes with his own style. Gus has to let them develop and implement their own game plan and play calls.  3.) the head coach has got to step up to the microphone and take responsibility when things aren't going right and never should publicly place any of the fault with players.  4.) recruit nasty dline men and linebackers 

Coach Garner is a solid defensive line coach and replacing him would be a huge mistake. CRG can recruit with the best of them. Bammer has pretty much shut down about any offense they have faced this season except Ole Miss early on in the season. OM would likely get shut down if they played today. I wish we could face them the 1st game of the season at least every 2 to 3 years. This would be fun no doubt.

I do think that Gus needs to have a new OC for 2017. Kendall Briles would be an excellent hire no doubt. Another OC choice could be Lincoln Riley who is the OC for Oklahoma. He could take our offense to the next level as well as Briles. I think CKB (coach Kendal Briles) would likely be the best choice we could bring on board. He will cost us at least 1.5 million per year no doubt, but this would be money well spent. If I was Jacobs, I would give Gus notice that he needs to hire an excellent OC, and let him run the offense without Gus breathing down the new OC's neck.

• Like 1

Thanks again coach for your input and you were point on for all of it. The thing that bothered me is that they beat us all night on the behind the line pass. Usually a man in motion or a back or OJ out of the backfield. All night long we never accounted for this person even though it continued to happen. The bad part is that it is something uat has done all year. The majority of passes Hurt is completing are these type of passes. The only other thing is I usually try not to pick on a player but C. Davis has regressed from what I saw last year. Losing his man and missing tackles. Last year he was extremely good and I thought surely he would be a lock-down corner this year but he has not. J. Davis is actually a better corner this year than CD. Can you see what is happening with him ? He has the talent and the hustle. Just looks like he is allowing himself to get out of position. Again thanks for your thoughts. WDE

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Thanks again coach for your input and you were point on for all of it. The thing that bothered me is that they beat us all night on the behind the line pass. Usually a man in motion or a back or OJ out of the backfield. All night long we never accounted for this person even though it continued to happen. The bad part is that it is something uat has done all year. The majority of passes Hurt is completing are these type of passes. The only other thing is I usually try not to pick on a player but C. Davis has regressed from what I saw last year. Losing his man and missing tackles. Last year he was extremely good and I thought surely he would be a lock-down corner this year but he has not. J. Davis is actually a better corner this year than CD. Can you see what is happening with him ? He has the talent and the hustle. Just looks like he is allowing himself to get out of position. Again thanks for your thoughts. WDE

Good catch. Bothered me too and zero adjustments to the trend by Coach Steele. I suspect he was playing safe against the deep ball and Hurts running ability. A bend don't break mentality. Regardless, it was frustrating.

• Like 1

Hey coach, great post and good discussion from many of the AU Faithful who like myself are obviously distraught and looking for answers after a disappointing loss to an admittedly great team. Leadership/coaching behavior "under fire" can be very telling. We were certainly under fire and I was not impressed save for a punt return, two interceptions and a few decent offensive plays called during desperate times. You nailed it when you say that we lost this game at the line of scrimmage. We did.

However, I'm troubled that we did not learn from QB rotation mistakes in the Clemson game and seemed to revert to this silly behavior in the face of another strong opponent. Any QB will tell you that they need to find a rythm to be successful. This was as painfully obvious in the Clemson game as it was in the IB. Malzahn does not seem to have faith in Lashlee or his QBs and it seems likely he is coaching scared. if that is the case then maybe GA State for Lashlee is the best move for all. To be fair, Lashlee just started calling the plays, but there is something toxic between the two of them that becomes obvious when it hits the fan. Last night would be no exception. 

When a QB comes off the bench after sitting all season, JFIII or JJ, they need to be given a chance, but truthfully UAT started running stunts on D and delayed blitzes that were killing of us. Surprised that we did not stick with JJ on some quick release patterns and JFIII should have tucked it on more than one occasion. We were playing a great team and just did not have any answers, but many of us thought we could have dug deeper for a better showing. Not whining, just saying what I think I saw.

Edited by AUjamstan
Auto correct typo
  • Like 1