A Head Coach Challenge

StatTiger

22 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

If you want to make sure Gus reads it see that it gets attached to the all the menus  of the local waffle house goes to.

Won't work, he only goes after wins. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

If you can't offer up critique without attaching childish overstatements like "criminal" to Gus and attributing his motives to "ego" (you have no idea what makes the man tick), stick to the stats and data. Off the charts disappointing, stat.

This is how people defend the indefensible, and why Auburn is currently stuck in mediocrity.  Attack the messenger and the way his message is delivered vs. addressing the objective facts laid out for all to see.  Of course I understand why this is done.  It's because the facts are unassailable, so to defend their side, they need to try to divert the argument to nonsensical drivel and hope emotions become involved so facts are ignored.

• Like 7

In a perfect world CGM would do what's best for the team.  In the real world he will probably sink into delusion and self denial, and change very little.  In other words, Gus won't be leaving his comfort zone.  He's not going to change, so AU needs to make a change.

I don't see how anyone could disagree with anything STAT just posted. 

With that said, is there an OC in the country that can/could do anything with the alleged psychological problems of JJ? I mean, what do you do with one of the best practice quarterbacks in the country, when the lights just won't come on, in live game play.

What do you do about Tyler Queen getting injured and then re-injured in practice? What do you do about Sean White getting injured and then re-injured in live game play?

I mean between JJ, SW, and Queen we had three of some of the most highly recruited quarterbacks in the country, all on our team. I'm not sure any OC could've done any better with those three situations? When, for various reasons, none of the three worked out, we saw how tough it is to win in the SEC West without a quarterback.

To sum it up, we certainly should place some of the blame on Gus/Rhett, but can we really blame them for all of it?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, StatTiger said:

All coaches at this level have some level of ego. Other than being over sensitive over two words, what did I write that wasn't true? I gave the man his due when it comes to the good things he has accomplished and stressed he needs to remain as head coach. 

Here is a suggestion for you... If you don't like my comments, don't waste your time reading them.

I'll work on that. Read your topic because you are traditionally one of the more informative (and informed) posters on this thread. And it is usually not a waste of time to read them.

I really started stressing these points after we lost to Georgia. During the iron bowl it seemed like they wanted to stay one dimensional which was poor decision making by the coaching staff. JF3 had 4 passing attempts and completed 2 for 85 yards I believe. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that passing the ball is a good thing. Rhett needs to go and if Gus can't do that, then he needs to go as well. They need to bring in someone that can develop the Qbs that come to auburn!!! 

48 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

I don't see how anyone could disagree with anything STAT just posted. 

With that said, is there an OC in the country that can/could do anything with the alleged psychological problems of JJ? I mean, what do you do with one of the best practice quarterbacks in the country, when the lights just won't come on, in live game play.

What do you do about Tyler Queen getting injured and then re-injured in practice? What do you do about Sean White getting injured and then re-injured in live game play?

I mean between JJ, SW, and Queen we had three of some of the most highly recruited quarterbacks in the country, all on our team. I'm not sure any OC could've done any better with those three situations? When, for various reasons, none of the three worked out, we saw how tough it is to win in the SEC West without a quarterback.

To sum it up, we certainly should place some of the blame on Gus/Rhett, but can we really blame them for all of it?

JJ is out of the picture now. 

6 minutes ago, Jaymart93 said:

JJ is out of the picture now. 

If Queen and SW get healthy, then our red-shirt Barrett and Stickom (sp) workout, we could go from a empty cupboard, to a full one at quarterback, in one season.

Edited by AU-24

Well said Stat, a great non-emotional analysis of the failures and successes of our offensive coaches. I hope Malzahn is able to make the necessary adjustments to be successful at this level. Personally if Malzahn is not running this offense then I am a little curious as to what he brings to the table as a coach. But we'll see over next season. I'm hopeful he can bring in someone new to run the offense and coach the QBs and just provide input and ideas for them to use. His biggest failures to me are 1. taking 4 games to understand what he has in a team and 2. his inability to recruit and coach successful high school QBs. 3. inability to adjust his game plan. 

When we were on that winning streak this year i was just waiting to see what would happen when we ran into a team that could stop our running game. Would we adjust and find a new way to be successful or keep plugging away regardless of the results? Well we all saw what happened. I'm afraid when we look back on the tenure of Malzahn as AU's coach we'll all lament at what could have been had the creativity of his offense not be lost. 

Add one thing please

December 2015 waiting to see if QB will be healthy for Bowl game

December 2016 waiting to see if QB will be healthy for Bowl game

This cannot happen again Your job includes having competent players to replace injured players.

Well said, Stat. I think that echoes most of our feelings on the matter. I love Gus as a HC and I want him to remain our HC for a long time. But that's only if he's willing to step aside and hire an OC who can run the show just like Steele. I think he can. Having Rhett take over this season did well until things weren't going well, then you saw how quickly Gus got involved trying to "fix" things because he's too close to this offense. He needs someone who will tell him to f-ck off (pardon the phrase) and let them do their job.

And if the new OC isn't a good QB coach/recruiter - FIND ONE AND PAY THEM! :laugh:

• Like 1

22 hours ago, StatTiger said:

Even if you win your bowl game, your last three seasons will equate to a 24-15 record over the past three seasons. Auburn expects more than a win percentage of 61.5%. It is important you remember; Gene Chizik was fired for winning only 63.5 percent of his games.

Chizik's stats include his perfect season but Gus's 2013 run isn't included? Sounds like agenda driven statistics to me.

4 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Chizik's stats include his perfect season but Gus's 2013 run isn't included? Sounds like agenda driven statistics to me.

67.9% counting 2013. That makes me feel better about UGA, the Coxcat, having our 2nd and 3rd string qb's confused, scoring 3 TD's against clemson, LSU, Tamu, UGA, bama combined and being held to less than 40 yards in a half on three separate occasions (Clemson, UGA and bama).

• Like 2

7 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

If it were agenda driven, why would I mention positive aspects of his coaching career? Since 2009, I have consistently publicized his successes far more than his struggles.  His offenses at Auburn during his tenure is the greatest run in the history of the program. It doesn't mean there have been no shortcomings. When his offense is on, it looks great but when it struggles early, it consistently doesn't end well. I never advocated for him to be terminated. I clearly stated WE want him to succeed and it would be in the best interest of the program for this to happen. He has some challenging decisions to make moving forward. I hope he makes them. My agenda is this.... he needs to make some critical changes. I believe he CAN make them but not sure if he WILL unless his hand is forced. 

• Like 6

On 11/27/2016 at 7:51 PM, StatTiger said:

All coaches at this level have some level of ego. Other than being over sensitive over two words, what did I write that wasn't true? I gave the man his due when it comes to the good things he has accomplished and stressed he needs to remain as head coach. 

Here is a suggestion for you... If you don't like my comments, don't waste your time reading them.

Get over yourself.  You're not near as insightful as you think you are.

4 hours ago, doug3020 said:

67.9% counting 2013. That makes me feel better about UGA, the Coxcat, having our 2nd and 3rd string qb's confused, scoring 3 TD's against clemson, LSU, Tamu, UGA, bama combined and being held to less than 40 yards in a half on three separate occasions (Clemson, UGA and bama).

All I did was point out a disparity. Did I do something to deserve that unnecessary sarcasm? Don't play it off as a joke unless you meant it as a joke either. Maybe you like to read doctored up stats, but once I find out extra spin is behind the effor, stats start to become more scrutinized with a finer comb. 

Um, the whole, "went viral" thing?  I'd say this well reasoned, fact-buttressed CGM "action plan" certainly qualifies!

Very, very well done, StatTiger!

E5

Good post.     Outcoached by Ga. for three years and manhandled by Al. the same . We pay too much for the results we have been given. Gus needs to get O side of the house fixed and fast.  If he is a head coach who can operate at a high level, he will.  If not, time to start the carousel of HC and program building all over again. 

Edited by TigerNBham