When does Malzahn meet with Jacobs

ToomersStreet

8 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

As the new OC for Gus. Heck, even Rhett did a decent job most of the season calling plays. There are not that many super grade coaches out there to hire. The only ones that come to mind are PJ Flack from Western Michigan, Jeff Bhromm from Western KY, Dave Aranda LSU DC, Chris Peterson Washington, Mark Richt Miami. There are other good coaches that have no plans to leave their current position. At the end of all of this, Gus should stay and maybe hire a new OC like Kendall Briles.  

I believe Kendall has struggled heavily this year, has he not? I don't keep up with them much but it seems to me that Art and Kendall may have been the same type of relationship as Gus and Rhett. I may also be wrong again but I believe Kendall was cited for a recruiting violation of some sort recently, I don't really have time to look it up.

either way, from what I've heard it turns out KB is less attractive than he was six months ago.

that being said, I feel it's pretty safe to say Gus is 100% our coach going into 2017. I feel he will be heavily pressured to get a new QB coach/OC but I wouldn't be surprised if we don't make a change there going into next season either. 

either way, if we don't get it together and Gus is forced to make a change at OC and his meddling proves to be too much for any OC to be effective then it's time to let Gus go.

if that point comes, whenever it may be, we will be lucky if there are any non up and comers who haven't been fired for underachieving. Those are very rare. But there will be so many options out there better than Gus. That is when those big pockets and selection committees have to go out and sell out university to a GOOD coach. A coach who has won big time before and has more experience than being a sunbelt/cusa coach. While I agree that there aren't many good coaches floating around without a good right now there are likely a lot who would love to pack up from where they are and come live and coach in auburn for the money we'd be willing to pay.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

More importantly does anyone have any idea what the money people like Bobby Lowder, Jimmy Rane, or the Hoar Construction brothers have had to say?

Hopefully no one listens to what they have to say. They are a prime reason that Auburn can't maintain successful program... because they keep sticking their nose into it.  

5 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

Does anyone have any idea when that happens? I figure this week.  More importantly does anyone have any idea what the money people like Bobby Lowder, Jimmy Rane, or the Hoar Construction brothers have had to say?  Do they have a sit down with Jacobs and say "Hey we are not paying for this anymore!"

Please clarify this

25 minutes ago, ellitor said:

SIAP but every thing is on wait mode right now. The PTB don't want JJ having any say in who the next HC is. So the order as of now is get a President. The president deal with JJ. Then deal with Gus if it's felt to be needed.

I agree JJ should not be able to hire someone to mow his own yard. I just don't see them firing Gus this year but he has to be accountable for the offensive problems over past few seasons. I really not sure bringing in a new OC is going to help because like a addict they have to recognize the problem and ask for help. I don't think Gus realizes there is a problem. But nothing is going to happen till a new president is in place.

29 minutes ago, ellitor said:

SIAP but every thing is on wait mode right now. The PTB don't want JJ having any say in who the next HC is. So the order as of now is get a President. The president deal with JJ. Then deal with Gus if it's felt to be needed.

Not surprised to hear this.

19 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I think it's fair to criticize him for throwing all of his eggs, last year, into the John Franklin basket, but other than that... no.  No one could have know that Queen would be an injury waiting to happen.  Also, no one saw the Jeremy debacle. Everyone who saw him in practice, even those with NO Auburn affiliation at all, saw a superstar. The fact that he was so poised in 2014 made it even less obvious.

Now people are looking for reasons to write Woody off, even though no one has seen him take a snap in over a year.  Honestly, I feel like the towns people have their torches and pitchforks and they are going to try to find a reason to take Gus down, reasonable or not.

No one could predict the Queen injury, fair enough. I suppose no one could have seen what happened with Johnson, either. I honestly don't know the answer to that question. His problems are so obvious to us now that it seems inconceivable that they were undetectable, but as you said, there were many outside the program making similar predictions. However, most people outside the program were basing their opinions on two things: the 2014 Arkansas game, and Malzahn's own prognostications about Johnson. After all, It was Malzahn who repeatedly referred to Johnson as an NFL caliber prospect. I think most people just followed his lead. I just can't help but wonder how such glaring mental/confidence/decision making problems went unnoticed. In hindsight, I suspect that Malzahn never put Johnson through the pressure cooker to expose such weaknesses. On the other hand, Johnson hadn't revealed those weaknesses in any of the 2013 or 2014 games that I saw, so maybe you're right. 

That brings us to JFIII, and that's where most of my frustration lies. What JFIII's ceiling might have been this season had he seen more of the field, I'm not sure. I just know that when he did come in, Gus had him handcuffed with his hands behind his back. He had flashes competence and incompetence and I think we're all left with more questions than answers to what kind of quarterback JFIII actually is, or what kind of quarterback he could be. All that being said, everything about JFIII seems to have been mishandled, starting with his initial evaluations and scholarship offer. Franklin was a speculative bet. He was a gamble and we didn't have chips to gamble with.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Lets say somebody, say Baylor, hires Gus away. What do we do? LSU has already nailed down the highly desirable Orgeron with his 10-25 record at Ole Miss.  Charlie Strong is available, as is Al Golden. If we don't want somebody that's been fired because they didn't win enough then we have to settle for another up and comer, a thing so many here have said we cannot do. The Briles boys from Baylor are out, for obvious reasons. We could steal Freeze from Ole Miss and get blown out by Vandy and Moo-State. Whether some here want to admit it or not, Gus is far, far better than most. Who do have in mind that's both available and has a better record at a P-5 school?

For craps sake Mikey, stop talking sense!

5 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

However, most people outside the program were basing their opinions on two things: the 2014 Arkansas game, and Malzahn's own prognostications about Johnson.

I think there were some like that, but I distinctly remember reading about people being invited into practice, like the announcers for our first game, and talking about how impressed they were with Jeremy. I think he really is a practice superstar who just can't translate it to a game.

6 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

That brings us to JFIII, and that's where most of my frustration lies. What JFIII's ceiling might have been this season had he seen more of the field, I'm not sure. I just know that when he did come in, Gus had him handcuffed with his hands behind his back. He had flashes competence and incompetence and I think we're all left with more questions than answers to what kind of quarterback JFIII actually is, or what kind of quarterback he could be. All that being said, everything about JFIII seems to have been mishandled, starting with his initial evaluations and scholarship offer. Franklin was a speculative bet. He was a gamble and we didn't have chips to gamble with.

I tend to agree with you, though I have to wonder that, what seems like handcuffing to the observer, might be Gus knowing a lot more than us based on practice performance.  After all... what's Gus's #1 thing? Ball security.  If he doesn't think John is going to protect the ball, then he's not going to let him do things.

What I can't put 2 and 2 together on is how someone can have such a perfect deep ball and not be able to refine his short passes.  The deep ball is so much harder to throw.

I totally agree that the evaluation is in question, as was the quick scholarship offer. What's worse is the amount of time they dumped into him, which I think played into our slow start on the season and the lack of Jeremy or Queen being ready when the call came.

59 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Thank you

Just now, lionheartkc said:

I think there were some like that, but I distinctly remember reading about people being invited into practice, like the announcers for our first game, and talking about how impressed they were with Jeremy. I think he really is a practice superstar who just can't translate it to a game.

I tend to agree with you, though I have to wonder that, what seems like handcuffing to the observer, might be Gus knowing a lot more than us based on practice performance.  After all... what's Gus's #1 thing? Ball security.  If he doesn't think John is going to protect the ball, then he's not going to let him do things.

What I can't put 2 and 2 together on is how someone can have such a perfect deep ball and not be able to refine his short passes.  The deep ball is so much harder to throw.

I totally agree that the evaluation is in question, as was the quick scholarship offer. What's worse is the amount of time they dumped into him, which I think played into our slow start on the season and the lack of Jeremy or Queen being ready when the call came.

Oh I agree, and I've assumed this was the primary reason why he was being handcuffed, but he was handcuffed nonetheless. I wish they would have let him throw the ball 20-30 times against opponents like Alabama A&M.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Coaches don't get fired for finishing 2nd in the SEC and going to either the Sugar or Citrus bowls. They usually get raises or get hired away by some other school.

I'd be okay with the later  ?

But yeah I agree with you

1 hour ago, ToomersStreet said:

Hoar Construction supposedly are big athletics donators.

All General Contractors in Birmingham are supporters of AU due to the BSCI program, but I could specifically name 2-3 that contribute much more than Hoar. Also, none of the Hoars own Hoar any longer and there weren't brothers running it to begin with.

To answer the OP's question directly: Every coach is evaluated and has "The Meeting" with the AD soon after his/her season is over. That will be after our bowl game.

15 hours ago, Charhair said:

But there will be so many options out there better than Gus. That is when those big pockets and selection committees have to go out and sell out university to a GOOD coach. A coach who has won big time before and has more experience than being a sunbelt/.......

Ok then, please name one or two of those "so many options". You have my curiosity up.

17 hours ago, Mikey said:

Coaches don't get fired for finishing 2nd in the SEC and going to either the Sugar or Citrus bowls. They usually get raises or get hired away by some other school.

Schools are really knocking the door down to get to Gus. 

16 hours ago, doc4aday said:

We beat LSU 41-7 in 2014. When you can win the home games against LSU is a good thing no doubt. I am looking forward to playing LSU now that they have Coach "O". !He is a drop off from Les Miles and this will show soon enough!

IF O gets a good OC watch out. People are under estimating what O can do at a school with resources like LSU. The guy can recruit lights out. O will shut the State of Louisiana down as far as recruiting. And LSU's DC is damn good. 

16 hours ago, doc4aday said:

Aranda will go to Texas to hook up with his team mate and long time friend Tom Herman. LSU will not get Kiffin, but will hire a pro-style OC. I have some great sources who are long time friends that live in South Louisiana. They told me weeks ago that Coach 'O" would be the new HC. Kiffin is only a wish for them. Heck, maybe they hire Rhett! Al Borges could get the call.

Don't be shocked to see Kiffin in Baton Rouge. 

15 hours ago, Barnacle said:

No one could predict the Queen injury, fair enough. I suppose no one could have seen what happened with Johnson, either. I honestly don't know the answer to that question. His problems are so obvious to us now that it seems inconceivable that they were undetectable, but as you said, there were many outside the program making similar predictions. However, most people outside the program were basing their opinions on two things: the 2014 Arkansas game, and Malzahn's own prognostications about Johnson. After all, It was Malzahn who repeatedly referred to Johnson as an NFL caliber prospect. I think most people just followed his lead. I just can't help but wonder how such glaring mental/confidence/decision making problems went unnoticed. In hindsight, I suspect that Malzahn never put Johnson through the pressure cooker to expose such weaknesses. On the other hand, Johnson hadn't revealed those weaknesses in any of the 2013 or 2014 games that I saw, so maybe you're right. 

Barnacle, nothing is Gus's fault. Deal with it. :comfort:

37 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Ok then, please name one or two of those "so many options". You have my curiosity up.

Mind you, I'm not in favor of firing Gus at this point.  But, just to answer question, 2 guys worth considering to replace him would be Larry Fedora and Mike Gundy.

42 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Justin Fuente. And yes AU could hire him right now. And bring Tech's AD with him, Whit Badcock. 

20 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

Does anyone have any idea when that happens? I figure this week.  More importantly does anyone have any idea what the money people like Bobby Lowder, Jimmy Rane, or the Hoar Construction brothers have had to say?  Do they have a sit down with Jacobs and say "Hey we are not paying for this anymore!"

Bobby is mad as a hornet about the situation, do not know about Ranes and the Hoar Construction brothers.

Archived