When does Malzahn meet with Jacobs

ToomersStreet

14 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Bobby is mad as a hornet about the situation, do not know about Ranes and the Hoar Construction brothers.

Rane is a JJ guy. So he will remain silent. No clue on the Hoar brothers. 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

Does anyone have any idea when that happens? I figure this week.  More importantly does anyone have any idea what the money people like Bobby Lowder, Jimmy Rane, or the Hoar Construction brothers have had to say?  Do they have a sit down with Jacobs and say "Hey we are not paying for this anymore!"

Wth is this ...IMOJacobs probably will not meet with him until after bowl game...Jacobs has more football sense than many here and maybe he can see how the injuries impacted the team, however there are still some concerns that need to be addressed. Which I am sure he will at the appropriate time. No coach in their right mind will want to coach here with boosters telling them how to do what and when to do it...so they need to stick to running their business and not a football program.

Justin Fuente, Larry Fedora or Mike Gundy would leave current jobs and jump into the pit that is the SEC west? What makes anybody think that either of these could win at AU? I'd say Fuente might have a chance to do as well here as Gus has. The other two would have some catchin' up to do.

19 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Unless things have changes since my time at Auburn, Ranes is also in lock-step with Lowder... that should be interesting.

7 minutes ago, alexava said:

Who the hell wants Mike Gundy?

And who wants Fedora? I have watched him make a lot of bone headed decisions that cost them games.  I will take Gus over both!

15 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I think there were some like that, but I distinctly remember reading about people being invited into practice, like the announcers for our first game, and talking about how impressed they were with Jeremy. I think he really is a practice superstar who just can't translate it to a game.

I tend to agree with you, though I have to wonder that, what seems like handcuffing to the observer, might be Gus knowing a lot more than us based on practice performance.  After all... what's Gus's #1 thing? Ball security.  If he doesn't think John is going to protect the ball, then he's not going to let him do things.

What I can't put 2 and 2 together on is how someone can have such a perfect deep ball and not be able to refine his short passes.  The deep ball is so much harder to throw.

I totally agree that the evaluation is in question, as was the quick scholarship offer. What's worse is the amount of time they dumped into him, which I think played into our slow start on the season and the lack of Jeremy or Queen being ready when the call came.

I believe that you and Barnacle made good points about each of our backup qb's. To add to that I believe that JJ is a very good practice qb, when there is really no pressure to perform, but when it's gametime and the lights come on he is just deer in the headlights and can't handle the gametime pressure. JF3 on the other hand is opposite of JJ. He is not a very good practice qb, but when the lights come on he is a gametime performer. He is very accurate with the deep ball as evidenced in the IB with the long pass to Stove, but is shaky on the shorter. Taking all this into consideration, we should have put JF3 in a bit earlier in the blowout games earlier in the season, and let him run the whole offense, including the long throws, and the short throws. This may have been helpful in developing his passing and decision making skills and gotten him prepared to be our best option at backup qb. JJ was never our best option IMO.

4 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

I believe that you and Barnacle made good points about each of our backup qb's. To add to that I believe that JJ is a very good practice qb, when there is really no pressure to perform, but when it's gametime and the lights come on he is just deer in the headlights and can't handle the gametime pressure. JF3 on the other hand is opposite of JJ. He is not a very good practice qb, but when the lights come on he is a gametime performer. He is very accurate with the deep ball as evidenced in the IB with the long pass to Stove, but is shaky on the shorter. Taking all this into consideration, we should have put JF3 in a bit earlier in the blowout games earlier in the season, and let him run the whole offense, including the long throws, and the short throws. This may have been helpful in developing his passing and decision making skills and gotten him prepared to be our best option at backup qb. JJ was never our best option IMO.

I agree 100%.  Not letting him run the offense when there was no chance of it hurting us was a VERY poor choice by the coaching staff.

@WarDamnEagleWDE Justin Fuente is your home run?!? How have I never seen you mention this before? Justin Fuente is a wildcard, at best. He has one year of Power 5 experience, and four years as HC total (strikingly similar to our current head coach). He was able to win at Memphis with a first round QB (but actually the team melted down the stretch in 2015), and he's done it for one season at VaTech. Who knows how good he really is? I mean, one year into Malzahn, I'm pretty sure people thought he was the second coming.

If that's the caliber of candidate we're discussing, then firing Gus would be a MASSIVE gamble. Sure, it could pay off, and there are equal odds that we'd look like morons.

48 minutes ago, imaolgatiger said:

And who wants Fedora? I have watched him make a lot of bone headed decisions that cost them games.  I will take Gus over both!

Say that again three times slowly and then try to remember who you were talking about as Cox pirouettes in your head.

5 minutes ago, The Freak said:

Say that again three times slowly and then try to remember who you were talking about as Cox pirouettes in your head.

So you think that play cost us the game?

3 minutes ago, imaolgatiger said:

Of course not, but the Clemson and Georgia games were clearly lost by boneheaded coaching.  A&M and Bama would have been a helluva lot more competitive, too were it not for poor planning.

Let's ALL face the fact that at this point in time AU will continue to employ CGM, and rightly so IMHO.  Alternative HC options are slim pickin's right now and as LSU just proved, there's no guarantee that you will pull a splash hire (Tom Herman) or a big name/proven winner (Jimbo Fisher) and you might in fact have to settle for a freaking dline coach with an abysmal HC resume (Ed O.)  

If history tells us anything, AU can't pull a big name/proven winner with knowledge of running a massive program in a big time SEC program.  We've ended up with a pool of young "up 'n comers" or someone with AU ties and rarely pull a knock out punch of a HC.

So in the meantime, we stick with what we've got and hope that AU improves from 2016 to 2017 like we did from 2015 to 2016.  I'll be happy if AU can increase the regular season win next year by 2 more than this year. 

12 minutes ago, The Freak said:

Of course not, but the Clemson and Georgia games were clearly lost by boneheaded coaching.  A&M and Bama would have been a helluva lot more competitive, too were it not for poor planning.

Then tell me what Fedora has done that makes him a better option? 

21 minutes ago, imaolgatiger said:

Of course not, but the optics of choosing that play are poor.  

As the HC of Auburn, you are going up against the #1 team in the nation, this is your main rival, you are going toe to toe with their coaching staff.  And as the HC, you choose to allow Chandler Cox to run the offense on 4th down?  The result of your decision makes you look like you are way out of their league and in over your head as an SEC HC.  COME ON MAN! :banghead:

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

WarDamnEagleWDE with all respect you really need to change that picture.  It just makes me angry.

2 minutes ago, imaolgatiger said:

Then tell me what Fedora has done that makes him a better option? 

I have no opinion on Fedora.  My point is obviously that you discounted him with one of the complaints about Gus.

It's like saying "I don't like Pipi Longstocking because her hair is red.  I'll take the Wendy's girl!"

2 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

WarDamnEagleWDE with all respect you really need to change that picture.  It just makes me angry.

It irritates me more than Gus break dancing he sported on here for months.

1 minute ago, keesler said:

Of course not, but the optics of choosing that play are poor.  

As the HC of Auburn, you are going up against the #1 team in the nation, this is your main rival, you are going toe to toe with their coaching staff.  And as the HC, you choose to allow Chandler Cox to run the offense on 4th down?  The result of your decision makes you look like you are way out of their league and in over your head as an SEC HC.  COME ON MAN!  

I am not a proponent of the play. I stated that I have seen Fedora blow numerous games with stupid coaching decisions and that is what I am discussing. What was the UNC vs THUGA  score? Fedora had an entire spring and summer to prepare.  As bad as the Clemson game was coached, we still had a chance to win and I believe the pass play to Kerryon was a TD.  So I am addressing Fedora vs. Malzahn. 

1 minute ago, The Freak said:

I have no opinion on Fedora.  My point is obviously that you discounted him with one of the complaints about Gus.

It's like saying "I don't like Pipi Longstocking because her hair is red.  I'll take the Wendy's girl!"

Then you need to reread what I posted. I didn't say that Gus hasn't been wrong, I simply said I would take him over Gundy or Fedora and gave my reasoning on Fedora. What part of that did you not comprehend?

I'm well aware of what you said.  What you are not comprehending is your reasoning concerning Fedora is flawed.

SMH, I'm done.

1 hour ago, mcgufcm said:

@WarDamnEagleWDE Justin Fuente is your home run?!? How have I never seen you mention this before? Justin Fuente is a wildcard, at best. He has one year of Power 5 experience, and four years as HC total (strikingly similar to our current head coach). He was able to win at Memphis with a first round QB (but actually the team melted down the stretch in 2015), and he's done it for one season at VaTech. Who knows how good he really is? I mean, one year into Malzahn, I'm pretty sure people thought he was the second coming.

If that's the caliber of candidate we're discussing, then firing Gus would be a MASSIVE gamble. Sure, it could pay off, and there are equal odds that we'd look like morons.

Homerun hire? Maybe. Gamble? Yep. But Mikey asked a legit name and I obliged. I do think Fuente is twice the football coach all around than Gus will ever be. 

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Don't think this is the case anymore. 

Interesting... I know they were back when they ran Bowden out of town. I guess it's hard to have two egos that size in close proximity.

Archived