When does Malzahn meet with Jacobs

ToomersStreet

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Homerun hire? Maybe. Gamble? Yep. But Mikey asked a legit name and I obliged. I do think Fuente is twice the football coach all around than Gus will ever be. 

I don't post here much, mostly just read the opinions of the board but I can chime in on this one. Work for a PR firm in Blacksburg that helps the Athletic Department at Tech. Auburn would definitely want Whit Babcock as an AD. He's great, not a yes man, knows how to get s*** done. Fuente is a HARD PASS for Auburn IMO. He's perfect at a school like Tech that has no major instate recruiting rival. Saban, Jimbo, Kirby, hell probably even Butch Jones at Tenn would eat this guy for lunch on the recruiting trail. If there are things you don't like about Gus, there are the same things you won't like about Fuente. Take it from a guy who has met him a few times personally. 

That said, I think if Gus was at VA Tech he would be a phenomenal coach so I mean.. it is what it is when you are dealing with the SEC. 

46 minutes ago, VAtiger12 said:

I don't post here much, mostly just read the opinions of the board but I can chime in on this one. Work for a PR firm in Blacksburg that helps the Athletic Department at Tech. Auburn would definitely want Whit Babcock as an AD. He's great, not a yes man, knows how to get s*** done. Fuente is a HARD PASS for Auburn IMO. He's perfect at a school like Tech that has no major instate recruiting rival. Saban, Jimbo, Kirby, hell probably even Butch Jones at Tenn would eat this guy for lunch on the recruiting trail. If there are things you don't like about Gus, there are the same things you won't like about Fuente. Take it from a guy who has met him a few times personally. 

That said, I think if Gus was at VA Tech he would be a phenomenal coach so I mean.. it is what it is when you are dealing with the SEC. 

Thanks for the info.

JMO, But I think Gus would be a phenomenal coach at in several conferences outside the SEC.  The SEC is a whole other monster ~ you sink or swim pretty quickly and the sharks are waiting to feast every day of the week on and off the field. 

6 minutes ago, keesler said:

Thanks for the info.

JMO, But I think Gus would be a phenomenal coach at in several conferences outside the SEC.  The SEC is a whole other monster ~ you sink or swim pretty quickly and the sharks are waiting to feast every day of the week on and off the field. 

I agree. My point is just what you said, Fuente/Fedora and plenty of ACC coaches are going to look like they can deliver you great recruits and wins. Most of the schools, however, are the biggest boys in their state or have pretty minimal in-state competition. That won't be the case if you brought them to Auburn. If Gus was at L'ville right now, we'd all be saying we should go get him after Petrino had taken us to the same 8-4 season Gus just did. 

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

Ok then, please name one or two of those "so many options". You have my curiosity up.

I was more or less saying in a perfect auburn football world, the school would go steal a coach away from another program with money and the fact we provide them with top tier recruits, SEC play and a chance to take down Saban every year. But no coach is interested in leaving there current good job until there is more money on the table. I personally am in the boat that I think we should keep Gus until at least next year. I guess the only obvious  (as in currently searching for a job) choices are all ones that have committed the same "crimes" as Gus. 

A question for you now that sort of answers your question

if we were to fire Gus tomorrow (I know it won't happen anytime soon but just for the sake of discussion), do you think the search committee would give Les an interview? The man has shown he can win, recruit, players always seem to LOVE him and has already learned a huge, embarrassing mid season lesson about being too stubborn and not evolving. Not many bigger names in CFB either. 

1 hour ago, VAtiger12 said:

I agree. My point is just what you said, Fuente/Fedora and plenty of ACC coaches are going to look like they can deliver you great recruits and wins. Most of the schools, however, are the biggest boys in their state or have pretty minimal in-state competition. That won't be the case if you brought them to Auburn. If Gus was at L'ville right now, we'd all be saying we should go get him after Petrino had taken us to the same 8-4 season Gus just did. 

Hell, Petrino lost 3 games and not all great competition there either. Folks want to trade a 8-4 coach for a coach with similar or worse seasons sometimes. there are only 5-6 coaches in the country that would be an upgrade for us and they aint leaving.

JJ does not work for the Trustees..He answers to the President..Gouge has never been that engaged in athletics and with his retirement soon he will not do anything

40 minutes ago, csgau said:

JJ does not work for the Trustees..He answers to the President..Gouge has never been that engaged in athletics and with his retirement soon he will not do anything

Starts from the top

1 hour ago, alexava said:

Hell, Petrino lost 3 games and not all great competition there either. Folks want to trade a 8-4 coach for a coach with similar or worse seasons sometimes. there are only 5-6 coaches in the country that would be an upgrade for us and they aint leaving.

As disappointed as I am with Gus there are not many options to replace him.  Unless Auburn would somehow convince Jim Harbaugh to come to The plains.  I just hope Gus gets over himself and his so called Genius.  He did get Steele and resurrected the Defense.  I really think his off season coaching ban is killing the QB recruiting and that needs to end.  We will see. 

Well, I went to some considerable trouble looking up records on the 'net. Gundy, Fedora and Fuentes all have resume's inferior to Gus. Fuentes had only a .574 winning % at Memphis! Gundy has one (1) conference championship in 11 years and a 2-9 record vs. Oklahoma. Fedora is 40-24 at UNC with 0 championships. Gus is .673 at AU, has a conference championship and is 1-3 vs. Bammer.

Replacing Gus with any of the above is trading down. Les Miles is available. Should Gus fall off the planet and we need a replacement, Les chewing the JHS grass is about as good as we could hope to do. That idea does not bring cheer to my holiday season!

I can't believe some of this talk about how good Gus is as a coach.   It took a once in a life time play to beat GA and three missed field goals and a fourth miss return for TD to beat Bama.   There are hundreds of coaches in the country that could do the same job as Gus

46 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

I can't believe some of this talk about how good Gus is as a coach.   It took a once in a life time play to beat GA and three missed field goals and a fourth miss return for TD to beat Bama.   There are hundreds of coaches in the country that could do the same job as Gus

I can see your point.  In the UGA game in 2013, the second half we went into a shell and let them back in the game.  Should have never been that close.  The Bama game was pure team determination, a great team spirit which you have to give credit to Gus for, but not coaching in that particular game.  Even the kick six was an audible called by the ST coach.

Gus is not going anywhere this year and he should be given the chance to right the ship.  He has earned that right.  There is a few missing parts that can be fixed and I am hoping Gus sees these and acts on them.

9 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Homerun hire? Maybe. Gamble? Yep. But Mikey asked a legit name and I obliged. I do think Fuente is twice the football coach all around than Gus will ever be. 

10 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

@WarDamnEagleWDE Justin Fuente is your home run?!? How have I never seen you mention this before? Justin Fuente is a wildcard, at best. He has one year of Power 5 experience, and four years as HC total (strikingly similar to our current head coach). He was able to win at Memphis with a first round QB (but actually the team melted down the stretch in 2015), and he's done it for one season at VaTech. Who knows how good he really is? I mean, one year into Malzahn, I'm pretty sure people thought he was the second coming.

If that's the caliber of candidate we're discussing, then firing Gus would be a MASSIVE gamble. Sure, it could pay off, and there are equal odds that we'd look like morons.

Fuente is a good coach.  He built Memphis up, left them in good shape, and the job he has done with VPI this year is nothing short of spectacular...with a freshman QB

Would be a hell of a hire for Auburn rather than the guy that came with 1 year of HC experience and burying the program currently

9 minutes ago, Mid Atlantic Tiger said:

Fuente is a good coach.  He built Memphis up, left them in good shape, and the job he has done with VPI this year is nothing short of spectacular...with a freshman QB

Would be a hell of a hire for Auburn rather than the guy that came with 1 year of HC experience and burying the program currently

Jerod Evans is a Sophomore JUCO transfer. 

What's he going to do? slap him on the back and say good job, keep up the good work?

And for those folks saying, who can we get....We can always go and get a new coach  he's just a dbag and happens to work for satan. 

On 11/28/2016 at 3:14 PM, lionheartkc said:

I think there were some like that, but I distinctly remember reading about people being invited into practice, like the announcers for our first game, and talking about how impressed they were with Jeremy. I think he really is a practice superstar who just can't translate it to a game.

I tend to agree with you, though I have to wonder that, what seems like handcuffing to the observer, might be Gus knowing a lot more than us based on practice performance.  After all... what's Gus's #1 thing? Ball security.  If he doesn't think John is going to protect the ball, then he's not going to let him do things.

What I can't put 2 and 2 together on is how someone can have such a perfect deep ball and not be able to refine his short passes.  The deep ball is so much harder to throw.

I totally agree that the evaluation is in question, as was the quick scholarship offer. What's worse is the amount of time they dumped into him, which I think played into our slow start on the season and the lack of Jeremy or Queen being ready when the call came.

Did you REALLY just say JF3 has a "perfect" deep ball? even a broken clock is correct twice a day. if there was a single aspect of JF3s passing game that was "perfect," he would of been the starter the entire season. 

I say we keep Gus one more year, and go all in on Chip Kelly. We have the type of players that will excel in his system. He is a big enough name to compete the guy in vest vance. 

I don't know if it would be possible...but if I were in the position of hiring Auburns next coach, I fly to San Francisco and hand Chip a blank check and say we beat you. now we want you. Tell him he is MY first choice but the BOT don't know if he could contend with Saban year in and year out. that would be enough to get under his skin just enough to make him take the job. 

The man pulled some 5* talent to this craphole. he had these guys at a level they have never experienced and have since lost... all the while being in a state that creates mainly 2 and 3 star talent, getting low 4*s that none of the California schools wanted, and dominated the pac12. 

Imagine what he could do at Auburn. and I don't want to hear he did it because of Phil Knight. Helfrich has had that same Nike money and we see how the ducks have fared.

Chip Kelly would get us one of the top 5 coaches in college football. He can't run "his" offense in the pros. and I know his ego won't let him stink it up in San Francisco for too long...besides it's better we get him than Tennessee, Arkansas, Ole Miss, or Mississippi State and have to contend with him...

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Well, I went to some considerable trouble looking up records on the 'net. Gundy, Fedora and Fuentes all have resume's inferior to Gus. Fuentes had only a .574 winning % at Memphis! Gundy has one (1) conference championship in 11 years and a 2-9 record vs. Oklahoma. Fedora is 40-24 at UNC with 0 championships. Gus is .673 at AU, has a conference championship and is 1-3 vs. Bammer.

Replacing Gus with any of the above is trading down. Les Miles is available. Should Gus fall off the planet and we need a replacement, Les chewing the JHS grass is about as good as we could hope to do. That idea does not bring cheer to my holiday season!

.574 at Memphis is like winning 30 games in the SEC.

2 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Did you REALLY just say JF3 has a "perfect" deep ball? even a broken clock is correct twice a day. if there was a single aspect of JF3s passing game that was "perfect," he would of been the starter the entire season. 

I say we keep Gus one more year, and go all in on Chip Kelly. We have the type of players that will excel in his system. He is a big enough name to compete the guy in vest vance. 

I don't know if it would be possible...but if I were in the position of hiring Auburns next coach, I fly to San Francisco and hand Chip a blank check and say we beat you. now we want you. Tell him he is MY first choice but the BOT don't know if he could contend with Saban year in and year out. that would be enough to get under his skin just enough to make him take the job. 

The man pulled some 5* talent to this craphole. he had these guys at a level they have never experienced and have since lost... all the while being in a state that creates mainly 2 and 3 star talent, getting low 4*s that none of the California schools wanted, and dominated the pac12. 

Imagine what he could do at Auburn. and I don't want to hear he did it because of Phil Knight. Helfrich has had that same Nike money and we see how the ducks have fared.

Chip Kelly would get us one of the top 5 coaches in college football. He can't run "his" offense in the pros. and I know his ego won't let him stink it up in San Francisco for too long...besides it's better we get him than Tennessee, Arkansas, Ole Miss, or Mississippi State and have to contend with him...

And we neutralized his offense with an average defense. 

9 hours ago, The Freak said:

.574 at Memphis is like winning 30 games in the SEC.

30 games over 10 years? With Memphis's weak schedule, a .574 win percentage is ordinary, to be nice about it.  Not something you'd go looking for to upgrade your program.

28 minutes ago, Mikey said:

30 games over 10 years? With Memphis's weak schedule, a .574 win percentage is ordinary, to be nice about it.  Not something you'd go looking for to upgrade your program.

No, I was exaggerating...

But you can't discount was Fuentes did at Memphis.  His winning percentage is the highest of all coaches since '74.  He picked up the team from Larry Porter with a 2 year win percentage of a whopping 0.125.  Fuentes last two years, Memphis was 19-7 and Auburn was lucky he left before the bowl game.  His last two years were the highest winning since the early 60s.

11 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Did you not watch when he threw the deep ball?  He had 2 deep passes all year and both were dead on target.  And no, being a rock star at the deep ball doesn't make you a starter, because you can't throw deep all day long... the other team would blitz you into oblivion.

As for Kelly... I'm not ready to buy in on him.  Yes, he did amazing things in the Pac-10, but they play a very different kind of football up there than they do in the SEC. As you saw when they played us in the National Championship, small and fast doesn't cut it down here.

28 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Did you not watch when he threw the deep ball?  He had 2 deep passes all year and both were dead on target.  And no, being a rock star at the deep ball doesn't make you a starter, because you can't throw deep all day long... the other team would blitz you into oblivion.

I made a similar post last night. 2 passes is a very, very, small sample size to be making any substantive conclusion. We have not seen all his deep throws in practice and therefore don't know if he has a good deep ball or not. He very well may have a good deep ball and it may be short, intermediate inaccuracies plus ball security holding him back.

Just now, ellitor said:

I made a similar post last night. 2 passes is a very, very, small sample size to be making any substantive conclusion. We have not seen all his deep throws in practice and therefore don't know if he has a good deep ball or not. He very well may have a good deep ball and it may be short, intermediate inaccuracies plus ball security holding him back.

While 2 is a very small sample, 2 for 2 being absolutely perfect is hard to deny on a pass that has less than a 40% completion ratio even in the NFL.

11 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

While 2 is a very small sample, 2 for 2 being absolutely perfect is hard to deny on a pass that has less than a 40% completion ratio even in the NFL.

This ain't the NFL. Completion windows are wider in college.

26 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Hey anyone know what JJ's QB rating in practice is?  Get my point?

Archived