Ford first and now Carrier

TheBlueVue

"On Thursday, Mr. Trump and Mike Pence, Indiana’s governor and the vice-president elect, plan to appear at Carrier’s Indianapolis plant to announce they’ve struck a deal with the company to keep roughly half of the jobs in the state, according to officials with the transition team as well as Carrier."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/29/business/trump-to-announce-carrier-plant-will-keep-jobs-in-us.html?_r=0zemany are pulling for Trump to fsail

I realize many are desperately hoping that trump fails miserably and, he may, but, he has already had more a more positive impact on jobs than Obama has in 8 years and he's still roughly 2 months from being sworn in. I hope he keeps winning and I bet the 1000 Carrier employees whose jobs he saved do too.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, TheBlueVue said:

"On Thursday, Mr. Trump and Mike Pence, Indiana’s governor and the vice-president elect, plan to appear at Carrier’s Indianapolis plant to announce they’ve struck a deal with the company to keep roughly half of the jobs in the state, according to officials with the transition team as well as Carrier."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/29/business/trump-to-announce-carrier-plant-will-keep-jobs-in-us.html?_r=0zemany are pulling for Trump to fsail

I realize many are desperately hoping that trump fails miserably and, he may, but, he has already had more a more positive impact on jobs than Obama has in 8 years and he's still roughly 2 months from being sworn in. I hope he keeps winning and I bet the 1000 Carrier employees whose jobs he saved do too.

Boy, you say some amazingly dumb things. https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2016/01/08/guess-what-barack-obama-has-been-a-great-president-for-job-creation/?0p19G=c&utm_term=.c9c5596d3b84

Just now, TexasTiger said:

I guess that explains why the work force participation rate is the lowest its been since the 70s and over 90 million folks are unemployed...man that IS great. The WaPo...:Sing: Thats rich as often as you ridicule others sources.

5 minutes ago, TheBlueVue said:

I guess that explains why the work force participation rate is the lowest its been since the 70s and over 90 million folks are unemployed...man that IS great. The WaPo...:Sing: Thats rich as often as you ridicule others sources.

I ridicule poor reasoning.

10 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

I ridicule poor reasoning.

You also make a fool of yourself in the process. Just because people have used up ALL their unemployment benefits and are still unemployed does change the fact that they're still UNEMPLOYED and there are over 90 million people in this country RIGHT NOW in that shape. Tell me again how GREAT that is.

All the unemployment rate does is look at 1st time claims .... Blue is correct...we have fewer American's working than at anytime since Carter was President...and when Carter was president there were only ~227m people in the country...now there are ~330m....

40 minutes ago, TheBlueVue said:

Alt Righties be like:

Solyndra bad

Carrier good

22 minutes ago, japantiger said:

All the unemployment rate does is look at 1st time claims .... Blue is correct...we have fewer American's working than at anytime since Carter was President...and when Carter was president there were only ~227m people in the country...now there are ~330m....

Got a link to those raw numbers you're citing?

21 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Got a link to those raw numbers you're citing?

sure

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/susan-jones/record-94708000-americans-not-labor-force-participation-rate-drops

When Obama took office in January 2009, shortly before the recession ended, the labor force participation rate was 65.7 percent. The following month, it reached an Obama-era high of 65.8 percent, and then it began its seven-year downward spiral, hitting 62.4 percent in September 2015, its lowest point since 1977.

2 minutes ago, TheBlueVue said:

sure

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/susan-jones/record-94708000-americans-not-labor-force-participation-rate-drops

When Obama took office in January 2009, shortly before the recession ended, the labor force participation rate was 65.7 percent. The following month, it reached an Obama-era high of 65.8 percent, and then it began its seven-year downward spiral, hitting 62.4 percent in September 2015, its lowest point since 1977.

Those are percentages. JT was talking actual numbers of participants.

Thanka Blue.  Apparently Google doesn't work for these guys or they've been in a bubble for the last 8 years....  Census.gov data is one click away on population data...

1 hour ago, japantiger said:

Thanka Blue.  Apparently Google doesn't work for these guys or they've been in a bubble for the last 8 years....  Census.gov data is one click away on population data...

You made a claim-- it is your responsibility on this forum to back it up-- can you?

"All the unemployment rate does is look at 1st time claims .... Blue is correct...we have fewer American's working than at anytime since Carter was President...and when Carter was president there were only ~227m people in the country...now there are ~330m...."

10 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

I didn't see the numbers from Carter's Presidency at your link-- did I miss that?

The numbers during Carter's Presidency aren't really the point now is it? The point you're  missing IS the labor force participation rate is the WORST since the Carter administration 1977 and the numbers in the link bear that out.

1 minute ago, TheBlueVue said:

The numbers during Carter's Presidency aren't really the point now is it? The point you're  missing IS the labor force participation rate is the WORST since the Carter administration 1977 and the numbers in the link bear that out.

JT made a specific claim about numbers. Maybe it's a lie or he just doesn't understand math. If he can support his post, he either needs to do that or delete. You butt out.

6 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

JT made a specific claim about numbers. Maybe it's a lie or he just doesn't understand math. If he can support his post, he either needs to do that or delete. You butt out.

No.. this is an open forum, kemosabe, and you're simply refusing to acknowledge the obvious as usual.

Disingenuous partisan political nonsense all around.  Inane to attempt to give all credit or, place all blame upon the president.  Political "reality" is not reality.  The bias on display is nothing more than the ultimate ignorance of the willingness to lie to ourselves.

http://www.factcheck.org/2015/03/declining-labor-participation-rates/

I applaud Trump for saving these jobs.  I greatly appreciate his willingness to get involved.  However, I think we should find out what sort of concessions were made.  Ultimately, protecting our markets, and jobs, will take more than carefully applied political pressure.  This is a micro effort.  I hope he is equally prepared to make macro structural changes that will assert real leadership of the global economy.

I also applaud Obama for his efforts to mitigate the effects of the financial crisis.  The current political environment may dismiss his efforts.  I doubt history will.

12 hours ago, TheBlueVue said:

sure

I think this has more to do with the nature of capitalism than presidential policy.  What we need to do is get rid of computers and robots.  

46 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Yeah, I've noticed that no one's talking about what the "deal" actually consisted of.

I also want to know the details.  Has Carrier been strong-armed with the threat of tariffs as DJT promised or is it because of reduced corporate tax rates, a combination or what ?  The imposition of tariffs on American companies is just plain bad business.  Consumers end up eating the cost of them.

1 hour ago, Elephant Tipper said:
3 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

Disingenuous partisan political nonsense all around.  Inane to attempt to give all credit or, place all blame upon the president.  Political "reality" is not reality.  The bias on display is nothing more than the ultimate ignorance of the willingness to lie to ourselves.

http://www.factcheck.org/2015/03/declining-labor-participation-rates/

I applaud Trump for saving these jobs.  I greatly appreciate his willingness to get involved.  However, I think we should find out what sort of concessions were made.  Ultimately, protecting our markets, and jobs, will take more than carefully applied political pressure.  This is a micro effort.  I hope he is equally prepared to make macro structural changes that will assert real leadership of the global economy.

I also applaud Obama for his efforts to mitigate the effects of the financial crisis.  The current political environment may dismiss his efforts.  I doubt history will.

Well, if Obama is going to claim and, he does, that his Presidency has been great for the economy and jobs then, I really don't see anything disingenuous about pointing out just how bad the labor force participation rate and how it is actually the lowest its been since 1977 under his leadership. The political reality you make reference to actually dictates that we keep score and under Obama our economy has NEVER even had back to back quarterly growth rates of 3% in the GDP and never had a single quarter of 4% growth. These are not lies...these are facts and comparatively speaking they are not good enough for anyone to point to and brag about. I don't see a damned thing disingenuous about pointing that out.

9 minutes ago, TheBlueVue said:

Well, if Obama is going to claim and, he does, that his Presidency has been great for the economy and jobs then, I really don't see anything disingenuous about pointing out just how bad the labor force participation rate and how it is actually the lowest its been since 1977 under his leadership. The political reality you make reference to actually dictates that we keep score and under Obama our economy has NEVER even had back to back quarterly growth rates of 3% in the GDP and never had a single quarter of 4% growth. These are not lies...these are facts and comparatively speaking they are not good enough for anyone to point to and brag about. I don't see a damned thing disingenuous about pointing that out.

I think you are so emotionally/politically invested that you simply cannot appreciate the depth of the crisis he dealt with from day one.  It also appears that you have a very limited understanding of economics, globalization, trends, demographics.

In your simplistic, partisan thinking, Obama could never do anything right and, Trump will never do anything wrong.  Frankly, your level of discussion is boring, childish, petty, ignorant. 

18 minutes ago, TheBlueVue said:

When and where did Obama make that claim?  The only thing I could find was:

"We've seen more manufacturing jobs created since I've been president than anytime since the 1990s. That's a fact," Obama said.

Politifact rated that as "half true"

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2016/jun/16/barack-obama/obama-weve-seen-more-manufacturing-jobs-created-an/

Archived