Things I saw - USC Upstate

JwgreDeux

AU 90 - USC Upstate 83 

CyenbuGWIAA2Cuq.jpg

There were a number of positives and negatives from this game, but it's another W in the win column. 

Lets start with the good. I suggested we might score 100 and we were close, scoring 90 on a night we didn't shoot a high percentage. I thought our big guards would have a chance to have big games and Heron did, scoring 23. I expected the defense to adjust from the Purdue game plan and we did, not doubling the post as much which generated mixed results. We forced their guards to shoot a low percentage, but allowed their 7 footer to get more points in the post. We also had better offensive rhythm, generating 23 assists to just 7 turnovers. Defensively, we forced 15 turnovers to only 16 assists. Harper and Johnson both had good nights combining for only 1 turnover. 

Ok now the bad. We lost the second half again, due to an offensive lull and a string of defensive lapses. Spencer got in early foul trouble, though Smith played well in his expanded minutes. We again shot poor percentages from the floor, three and foul stripe. That has to turn at some point for this team to have a successful season. This inability to put teams away will cost us a game if it persists. Had it cost us this game, it would have been a huge black eye on our post season resume. 

But it did not today. Two freshmen showed some will to win at the end that was encouraging. Harper's drive right at the 7 footer off the high pick and roll was a thing of beauty, using all of the shot clock. The next trip down the floor Heron was fouled on a drive and iced the game with two free throws.

Im not surprised the game was close; though there was no Vegas line, I think it would have been around 15. This team was not an ideal matchup for us. We had some ups and downs and got another win. Being able to win when you don't play your best is important, but we better start playing better for full games if we want to keep this thing rolling. 

I look forward to watching our boys in person again Saturday in Birmingham. Next up UAB who beat Alabama St by 30 tonight, holding them to just 45 points. Another good test for our young Tigers. 

Edited by JwgreDeux
  • Like 1

I think as you pointed out the ups and downs come from such a young team. Your most important players are all freshmen, RSFR or sophs. As they mature on the court, and especially as SEC play begins, i hope to see more maturity and consistency from them. But expect a lot of ups and downs even during games with these youngin's. ))

• RunInRed pinned and featured this topic

I attended last night--my first Auburn basketball game! The other team's big guy was fun to watch. He looked winded out there early on, so I thought we'd run circles around him by the middle of the half. Hardly. I'm not sure how he rated as a recruit or rates as a pro prospect, but I'd take two or three guys with his drive (and you can toss in his size for an added bonus) any year.

I noticed one little funny thing that didn't make TV. When one of our guys went to the bench during a free throw attempt, Coach Person was the first to put his hand out. The player (don't remember for the life of me who it was, not that a name would boost the story) didn't see it and zoomed past to be congratulated by others. Person just sat there looking perturbed and kept his hand in the same spot after the kid had sat on the bench. Another one of our players saw Chuck's hand out, so he reached over a couple other guys to shake it!