I hate insurance companies.

alexava

Just recently found my bathroom floor making a thumping noise when stepping near the toilet. I tiled this floor about 9 years ago. Two years ago the toilet leaked at the floor just a little. So I replaced the wax ring, problem fixed. When I noticed this thumping noise I assumed maybe a bad flange caused the first leak and now had slowly rotted my subfloor. So I went under the house. I hate doing this now as I am older and out of shape. There was a lot of dampness in the joists and subfloor. But no puddles. I decided to bust up the tile and replace a section of subfloor and dry the joists out. When tearing the porcelain tile out I realized it was worse than I thought. I also knew a leaky toilet seal didn't cause this. To make a long story short, the cpvc supply line to the toilet had a tiny pinhole about six inches above the floor in the wall. It was not leaking through the wall because the plastic sheathing between the insulation and Sheetrock. It was just seeping into the different layers of flooring and spreading around in the wood. No telling how long it has been happening. I called insurance. Adjuster came and pulled out my policy and in an ever so squirrelly way showed how water seepage that lasted more than 14 days is excluded from coverage. EVEN THOUGH I HAD NO WAY OF KNOWING THIS WAS HAPPENING. So now instead of gladly paying a 1500$ deductible and gladly letting a contractor handle this, I am going to spend the next several weeks working on this myself and be down to one bathroom. And must get used to crawling my fat ass under the house. I am taking pictures, going to talk to a couple of lawyers and insurance agents I know even check into suing the pipe manufacturer. If anyone has any advice I'm listening. 

Doubt that you will gain anything by pursuing the pipe manufacturer. Would get another opinion on the small print regarding your policy. I am a semi-retired or trying to retire commercial construction contractor but have some experience with residential remodel. Bathrooms are a headache. I would strongly urge you to at least have a remodel contractor or two price the work. Our DIY projects are often not worth the aggravation or savings, people sometimes spend more than would have with the expert.

No way I will spend more. I will take much longer and have trouble getting help. It is not rocket science. About to tear tub/shower out tomorrow so I can get most of this done standing up.

55 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Get the demo done and cleaned up. Maybe the rest won't be to bad. personally have gotten to where I hate doing that sort of thing. Good luck with it.

if i can avoid removing cabinets i will be ecstatic. afraid i cant'

• 2 weeks later...

Going along smoothly now. Tub gone.  cabinets on the front porch? The cabinets/ countertop is going to be a significant cost. i got the rim joist/ band replaced. Sill plate was treated wood and thankfully ok once dried. The main double beam was rotted on one side significantly.tomorrow.  I will cut about 3 feet off that one  2x12 on the beam and trim a very small amount off the other one then scab the three feet span back on then add another 2x12 on the side of it about 5 feet so this will now be a triple 2x12 beam and stronger than before. Then sister three 2x 10 joists back on. If all goes well tomorrow I will have the new tub set and plumbed in might even put the shitter back down on plywood temporarily until I am ready to tile the floor. No hunting no fishing no beer no fun just frequent trips to the chiropractor. 

39 minutes ago, alexava said:

Going along smoothly now. Tub gone.  cabinets on the front porch? The cabinets/ countertop is going to be a significant cost. i got the rim joist/ band replaced. Sill plate was treated wood and thankfully ok once dried. The main double beam was rotted on one side significantly.tomorrow.  I will cut about 3 feet off that one  2x12 on the beam and trim a very small amount off the other one then scab the three feet span back on then add another 2x12 on the side of it about 5 feet so this will now be a triple 2x12 beam and stronger than before. Then sister three 2x 10 joists back on. If all goes well tomorrow I will have the new tub set and plumbed in might even put the shitter back down on plywood temporarily until I am ready to tile the floor. No hunting no fishing no beer no fun just frequent trips to the chiropractor. 

Ouch! Still no reason not to drink a beer. JS.

Seriously, good luck!

8 hours ago, alexava said:

You can not do that kind of work with no beer-unheard of!

So far I have. If it was warm weather it would be impossible not to. Sticking with coffee as I freeze today... Headed to the dump now. Most of my demo is done I have a 16' trailer halfway loaded. Might as well stop at lowes and get a 16" joist while I have the trailer. Don't like hauling that long in truck bed. Gotta get some framing nails too. 

On 12/10/2016 at 10:23 AM, alexava said:

So far I have. If it was warm weather it would be impossible not to. Sticking with coffee as I freeze today... Headed to the dump now. Most of my demo is done I have a 16' trailer halfway loaded. Might as well stop at lowes and get a 16" joist while I have the trailer. Don't like hauling that long in truck bed. Gotta get some framing nails too. 

I need some work done are you willing to work for a dollar an hour?

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

I need some work done are you willing to work for a dollar an hour?

that would be more than this job is paying. i would drink all your beer tho.

• 4 weeks later...

Look at the very first pic. About an inch below the elbow to the right the pipe is pissing a steady stream. That was the culprit. 

14 minutes ago, alexava said:

Look at the very first pic. About an inch below the elbow to the right the pipe is pissing a steady stream. That was the culprit. 

Got it. You need no advice from an old builder. Know it was headache but the pics show you actually enjoy that type work

Very nice work.....guess nobody does copper these days though?

Might get more pics up if this game gets boring. I am too lazy to go hook my phone to the pc. All I can do now is prep and paint the cabinets. Waiting on the granite man to come cut and join the two countertops I bought. That is the only work I am hiring out cause I don't know how or have the gear to cut 1-1/2" granite. Not going to put cabinet doors back on till I get countertops and plumbing done. I took first shower last night. Not my first shower in a month but the first one in the new shower. Lol. 

On 1/9/2017 at 11:58 AM, AU64 said:

Very nice work.....guess nobody does copper these days though?

i started to go back with copper. i used to do residential plumbing, electrical, hvac many years ago. i don't mind sweating pipe but i don't trust compression fittings. back when i did it cpvc was supposed to be dependable and this is 25 years old. i have had to replace some copper in my moms house that corroded and failed, so it is not free from failure either. just trying to get done as quick as possible i went back with plastic. that copper is costly too. i did replace all the supply lines in that bathroom. i will do periodic inspections in the crawlspace now.

Archived